EVGA

Greek Scientists Create World’s Fastest RAM Memory!

Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2019/06/11 08:12:42 (permalink)

The research team ERAFOS from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Photo source: Kathimerini

Greek scientists from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki seem to have solved the conundrum known as the ”Memory Wall” problem in their recent creation of the world’s fastest RAM memory.

By achieving a speed of ten gigabytes per second, which is double the speed of a normal RAM memory, the young Greek scientists have managed to achieve what global tech giants have not.

Interviewed by state-run AMNA news agency, Christos Vagionas, a post-doctoral researcher and member of the ”ERAFOS” research group, said that their innovation should be useful for the supercomputers which are used by large companies around the world.

It normally takes a decade for supercomputer technology to be brought onto the market for ordinary use by the public, Vagionas explained.

One of the main issues that computer technology faces is that year by year, processors are accelerating their speed at a much higher pace than does RAM memory. This creates a huge gap in computer performance, which so far has not been able to be reduced.

The young team of Greek researchers, after ten years of scientific work, might have created an innovation which will finally solve this major global issue in the realm of computing.

I think this is pretty cool and hope we might get a jump in speeds down the road because of this. 

Well done Greeks! (I'm a proud Greek-American. )

Source

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Greek Scientists Create World’s Fastest RAM Memory! 2019/06/11 08:30:01 (permalink)
    interesting story, even if short on any actual details

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Greek Scientists Create World’s Fastest RAM Memory! 2019/06/11 09:38:45 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

+1  I would bet it won't hurt to further the development of faster RAM.  Cool! 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Greek Scientists Create World’s Fastest RAM Memory! 2019/06/11 09:46:17 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

notfordman
    Cool GTX

+1  I would bet it won't hurt to further the development of faster RAM.  Cool! 

I looked everywhere to see if there was more info on this but couldn't find anything but figured it was good enough to post with the lack of detailed info.

I'll try keeping us up to speed if any more info shows up.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Greek Scientists Create World’s Fastest RAM Memory! 2019/06/12 11:11:47 (permalink)
    Tech Giants sent hitman squad to erase any data of this ever happening......  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile