Is my GPU dying/dead?

Author
ronnieb555
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/06/05 01:32:17 (permalink)
A few weeks ago I started getting a problem where my computer would freeze and I would need to do a reboot for it to be usable again and I just lived with it as after 1 restart, the computer would work fine for the rest of the day.

This week however the computer has started to freeze a lot faster after being powered on and then subsequently keep freezing after the restart or not giving an image on the screen after the restart.

At first I thought that the computer itself was completely freezing as I was unable to move the mouse or use the keyboard, but I have now tried playing music/videos when the freeze happens. When the computer freezes with music/videos playing, I am still able to hear the audio and also pause/resume with keyboard controls or the mouse if it was over the pause/resume button. Which I think means only the image is freezing, not the computer completely?

I have started to use my on-board graphics just so that I can use my computer (only 1 monitor :'( ) and it works without any problems, no crashes or the need to restart, even with the GPU still installed in the PC. The last few times that I have used the computer I have received a message from EVGA Precision X that "there is no supported hardware", so I decided to check the device manager in Windows and my GPU is not listed in the Display Adapters. I decided to restart to see if the GPU was listed there at all whilst using the on-board graphics and funny enough it was there, then after a short amount of time the Precision X message would appear and the GPU would then not be listed.

Speaking to EVGA's support team they suggested a few things to try, which I have tried and the problem still persists.

Doing a full clean re-install of the drivers using "Display Driver Uninstaller" to remove the previous installation.
Checking the 12v power that is listed in the BIOS which was at 12.288v.
Re-seating the GPU and checking the power cables to the GPU

The only troubleshooting that I haven't been able to try is putting the GPU into another computer as I am struggling to get another computer to test it in.

There have been no hardware changes to the computer and other than the regular Windows 10 updates and Nvidia GPU drivers nothing else has changed with my software.

I have contacted my GPU manufacturer (EVGA) and unfortunately I am out of warranty for a replacement and I can't afford a new one at the moment so hopefully someone can suggest some troubleshooting that might help/fix the problem.

PC Specs:
Intel i7 6700k (No overclock)
ASUS Z170i Pro
HyperX Beast 16GB 2400mhz (No overclock)
EVGA GTX 980ti Classified (No overclock)
EVGA 850w PSU
Samsung M.2 SSD (OS Drive), 2 other SSD's and a 2TB WD Black HDD storage.

I can provide anymore information that is needed, please just let me know.

1 Reply Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Is my GPU dying/dead? 2019/06/05 09:46:11 (permalink)
    Yep, sounds like the gpu definitely has a problem. Does the issue occur over multiple gpu driver versions?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile