EVGA

Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower

Author
JPSHRACER1486
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/29 17:47:04 (permalink)
Exhaust are the ones that blow into the case.
Blower are the ones that blow out of the case.

Why are there more exhaust type graphics cards than blower type nowadays? Or am I misunderstanding because I look at the single big fan as exhaust into the case and I am incorrectly assuming they are exhaust type? I look at the ones that are clearly marked blower as the only ones that exhaust outside the case. Have case temperatures improved through having enough fans to blow out the hot air anyways and it does not matter.

Advice is needed please

JP

Apple App Store - Penguin Jump World (United States Only currently):
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/penguin-jump-world/id1470686231
Graphic Design, Level Design and Music by myself. Buildbox game engine licensed.
https://jpshracer.com

Keep Moving Forward - Walt Disney
Xbox and PC Gamer!

19 Replies Related Threads

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/05/29 18:00:40 (permalink)

I completely agree, I definitely prefer the blower style instead of dumping a lot of hot air inside the case ..better yet, blower style with an AiO cooler on it (Hybrid cards as EVGA calls them).

The 'newer' style of cooling GPUs have different names depending on the company making them, but "ACX" is the commonly used name for EVGA cards with that style of cooling (or ACX 2.0 or ICX, ICX2...). If you want straight air cooled GPU(s), the ACX style are supposedly better performing than blower style *providing* you have very good airflow through your case... supposedly. I'm not sold on them at all, but that's just me.

post edited by Nereus - 2019/05/29 18:50:06

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/05/29 18:52:23 (permalink)

Moved to General hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/05/29 22:48:34 (permalink)
    Blower isn't ideal as it's a single fan that has to spin very fast so it can be very loud like a jet. Also it's blowing the air over the whole surface of the card and out the back which can heat up parts that are not running hot. With modern cases and good cable management the heat going into the case isn't really a big deal. I have the DG-86 case and it's only running at 75f inside the case and my room is at 72f on my 1070 blowing it's hot air into my case.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/05/31 14:52:24 (permalink)
    blower fans work best if you have limited space in your case, though the fan will need to be running 60% or more for good cooling at load

Those larger coolers are Very good at removing heat from the GPU card & the larger fans have a different sound profile & work well at lower rpms when loads are lower.  However they also dump most of the heat into the PC case.  This works best with full sized tower cases & most Mid-tower sized cases.  So, your Case fans need to be strong enough & fast enough to push the heat out of the case before the cooler recycles the heat back into the GPU cooler

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

JPSHRACER1486
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/01 11:31:06 (permalink)
    Yes Nereus, we both completely agree with we enjoy blower type over the exhaust type.

Hoggle, does having more fans help with the air flow management?

Cool GTX, I have a NZXT Apollo mid size case. I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB blower. Yes very important that you are not reheating up the case with the graphics card.

Hoggle and Cool GTX, should I really add more fans (I am not maxed out on my case fans) and then switch to an exhaust type EVGA graphics card? I am planning on not upgrading my current setup and instead planning for AMD Ryzen Zen 2 3000 series and AMD X570 motherboard.

Thank you everyone for your advice 

Graphic Design, Level Design and Music by myself. Buildbox game engine licensed.

Xbox and PC Gamer!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/01 11:56:41 (permalink)
    Positive air pressure usually cools best - More fans blow in than out

If your not sure if your case could see improvements - remove the side panel & point a fan at the side of your PC.  If temps drop you have room for improvement.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/03 19:40:37 (permalink)

Blower fans.      

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/04 09:11:04 (permalink)
    As others have said, both have their pro's and con's. I myself prefer blower style cards as it brings overall systems temps down, and quite a lot with SLI setups, as you want to "exhaust" that hot air, not recirculate it to the rest of your components. Though there is no denying that blower style cards typically produce more noise, and also run a little warmer. It's all personal preference really, and in the long run........probably doesn't make much of any life changing difference in any aspect All I know is my past 980 Ti Classified SLi setup which had "open air" style coolers, really heated up my systems temps, and in the heat of summer, even the cards got pretty warm, forcing higher fan speeds to keep cool. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/04 12:07:41 (permalink)
    +1 joeymir

You could not do this with Non-blower cards & control Temps

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/04 12:10:21 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    +1 joeymir

Sure you can. Open air bench ftw. 
    JPSHRACER1486
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/05 07:55:52 (permalink)
    @Xrayman @Joeymir Thank you that I do not have to make a life changing decision to switch to exhaust type. I was getting worried with the lack of support for them from major retailers. Only the EVGA website has the modern 2080 and 2070 blowers available for sale. I wish they were available at Amazon, Best Buy and Micro Center in blower style please.

@Sajin Open air workbench? What are the advantages of an open air workbench? I am not going to be working on the computer specifications everyday like Linus Tech Tips. He is awesome!

All that I will be waiting for is an EVGA Nvidia GeForce Peripheral Component Interconnect Express 4.0 blower version combined with AMD Ryzen Zen 2 3rd generation including 3900X and AMD X570 motherboard is the goal!

Xbox and PC Gamer!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/05 09:52:01 (permalink)
    The advantages would be to let all the heat out. 
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/05 10:50:16 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    +1 joeymir

And then you have this ....lol. Can you imagine 3x GPU's dumping out hot air inside a closed chassis for the rest of your components to "cool off"? not good. As a side note, there is a reason most servers, automobiles,  or anything that needs a long lasting air flow solution use blower type fans. They generally can move more air quickly, and last a hec of a lot longer. I've never had a blower type GPU fail personally, where I've had some fans like you see on ACX coolers fail. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

JPSHRACER1486
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/08 18:51:03 (permalink)
    Thank you @Joeymir for the explanation and showing inside your case. Yeah I will be sticking with blower type as my preference. Thank you everyone for the explanations and rational behind blower compared to exhaust.

@Sajin Then my room would be extremely warm with all the exhaust pouring out at once.

I was starting to think that exhaust inside the case was the only way that was being sold by retailers anymore.

Xbox and PC Gamer!
    ARMYguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/20 09:54:54 (permalink)
    I used to always use blower type cards. But for my 2080 tis i went with the ACX style of blower. I could instantly see a sizable difference in temps, the ACX even in SLI config was a lot lower than blowers ever could do. I have my system on an open air case however, i would not really want to use ACX blowers inside a case.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
    JPSHRACER1486
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/24 17:02:04 (permalink)
    AMMYguy would you still go with ACX blowers if you were building a enclosed case system? Would the temperatures still be better with ACX over a blower graphics card? I only have ever used one graphics card in my systems.

Xbox and PC Gamer!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/24 18:08:25 (permalink)
    JPSHRACER1486
    AMMYguy would you still go with ACX blowers if you were building a enclosed case system? Would the temperatures still be better with ACX over a blower graphics card? I only have ever used one graphics card in my systems.

Looks like the answer is No ---> I quoted the last statement in his previous post

---> ACX are great Coolers - they do however rely on your airflow inside your case to get the Heat out of the case before the ACX sucks the heat back into the Cooler - causing a heat loop, with ever increasing temps

ARMYguy
     I have my system on an open air case however, i would not really want to use ACX blowers inside a case.

castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/28 09:58:18 (permalink)
    JPSHRACER1486

The answer really depends on what case you have and how your fan configuration is setup. Is your CPU on an air-cooler or CLC (closed liquid cooling) unit? How many fans are you running? Which ones pull air in and which ones force air out of your case? etc. etc.

If you have a full size tower you shouldn't see too much of an issue going with the ACX cooling version. If you're on a mid-size case or smaller you'd most likely want the blower style to kick the heat out of the case immediately. Again, this all depends on your regular room ambient temperature, your fans (number of and airflow direction), and your CPU cooling solution.

JPSHRACER1486
    Re: Graphics Cards Exhaust vs Blower 2019/06/29 19:41:48 (permalink)
    Personally my own case is air cooled 1 side fan and 1 outtake in back case fan. I am not sure how many fans in my next build. However, my plan is to use all fan slots with 120mm or larger fans on my next build. Probably mid-tower again balancing size with weight of the case. Definitely going with blower again hopefully for my EVGA graphics card. Processor (CPU) standard AMD cooler. However, I should check out the aftermarket cooler scene.

Xbox and PC Gamer!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile