EVGA

Answered1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Andersonmx24
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/06/01 12:11:01 (permalink)
That is what I do as well. But it seems like the screws were not pulling it tight. It’s like there is some concave and I had to put a lot of pressure while I tightened them. So glad it’s working right now!

Cool GTX
Nice

I always install All the screws without tightening them for alignment. 

Then start with the 4 that surround the GPU die & tighten in an "X" pattern working across the chip & keeping the heatsink level / parallel to the GPU

Then tighten the other screws working evenly away from the GPU
Andersonmx24
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/09/14 07:16:32 (permalink)
So this problem went away back in June. And now last night my card started hitting 90c again. I am pretty dang sure the cooler warps from heat cool and looses contact on my card. So I had to pull it apart again and repaste and now it’s fine again. If it does this again I am requesting a rma this is the 4th time this card has done this. After several months of running just fine it just goes bad. I am writing this for evga to go back and read this thread. Thanks
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/09/16 11:29:33 (permalink)
Andersonmx24
So this problem went away back in June. And now last night my card started hitting 90c again. I am pretty dang sure the cooler warps from heat cool and looses contact on my card. So I had to pull it apart again and repaste and now it’s fine again. If it does this again I am requesting a rma this is the 4th time this card has done this. After several months of running just fine it just goes bad. I am writing this for evga to go back and read this thread. Thanks

What are you using for TIM?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Andersonmx24
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/09/16 11:34:45 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Andersonmx24

I had noctua thermal paste when I redid it back in June and been fine till the other night and it was hitting 90c. So I pulled it apart and put noctua back on after cleaning and I put some pressure on the back when tightening the 4 screws on the back and when I tested temps were higher than they should be so I pulled apart and the very center of the die didn’t have good contact and I did the x method for putting paste. So I pulled it apart again and put thermal grizzley kryonaught on. It’s a little thicker so might be better in the long run. Out back together only hitting 72 in the Witcher.so it’s rhnning great now. I swear the dang cooler is warped and concaved so it doesn’t make good contact unless putting together and pushing hard on the back. If it does this again I will RMA. EVGA responded and said it may be warped and asked too send pics of the cooler on a flat surface but I don’t want to pull it out where it’s working fine now. So frustrating!!!!
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/09/22 15:12:06 (permalink)
Andersonmx24
HeavyHemi
Andersonmx24

I had noctua thermal paste when I redid it back in June and been fine till the other night and it was hitting 90c. So I pulled it apart and put noctua back on after cleaning and I put some pressure on the back when tightening the 4 screws on the back and when I tested temps were higher than they should be so I pulled apart and the very center of the die didn’t have good contact and I did the x method for putting paste. So I pulled it apart again and put thermal grizzley kryonaught on. It’s a little thicker so might be better in the long run. Out back together only hitting 72 in the Witcher.so it’s rhnning great now. I swear the dang cooler is warped and concaved so it doesn’t make good contact unless putting together and pushing hard on the back. If it does this again I will RMA. EVGA responded and said it may be warped and asked too send pics of the cooler on a flat surface but I don’t want to pull it out where it’s working fine now. So frustrating!!!!

It is possible it is warped. The plate on the Hybrid I am using was slightly concave.  Some 1000 grit and a glass plate (flat surface) fixed that in a few minutes. I wouldn't do that on a GPU with a valid warranty.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Andersonmx24
Re: 1080ti ftw3 90c on the Witcher 3 4k Help 2019/09/22 15:19:48 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Andersonmx24
HeavyHemi
Andersonmx24

It is possible it is warped. The plate on the Hybrid I am using was slightly concave.  Some 1000 grit and a glass plate (flat surface) fixed that in a few minutes. I wouldn't do that on a GPU with a valid warranty.

Yea I honestly think something like that is going on. Cause the only way to get it to seal was to push hard on the back while putting the 4 screws in. It is running just how it should right now. I think I have warranty until November 2020 so next time it goes bad it will be sent back.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile