EVGA

Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze

Author
death_dealer
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/19 11:46:16 (permalink)
So i have had an evga nforce 750i sli for almost 11 years and it is still going strong!

First my problem - windows 10 pro 64 bit installed fine, i installed my new gt 710 graphics card and then proceeded to plug in to the internet and download windows updates. Everything seemed to work fine. Then i downloaded the newest updates from realtek for the ethernet and audio drivers. Again no problems and the system seemed to be running fine so i proceeded to install other programs such as HWINFO64, RTSS and MSI Afterburner so i could monitor temps. Pretty much the same exact setup as i have used in other OS. I downloaded firefox and chrome, installed winamp and tested - everything good to go. Then i tried to watch video in firefox just to test it out. It ran fine for a long time, a couple of hours actually - then it hung up - or froze and became non responsive - i tried to close it - i could hover the buttons and they would light up red but when i clicked on close nothing happened. I was able to close firefox using task manager but i realized task manager wasnt updating they way it should - then i noticed the taskbar was also non responsive - all the temps for MSI were hung. I tried to click start, which opened and i was able to click on restart but it just kept restarting forever and after about 20 minutes i just held in the reset button and let it restart.

So once i was logged back in the same thing kept happening and not neccessarily while watching video in firefox - i opened a new tab one time and it froze after about 5 minutes of being logged in. It seemed to happen randomly with nothing in event viewer to indicate what the problem is - sure i get some distributed com error in there and when i have to push the reset button i get the kernal error but other than that - zilch.

So i started thinking firefox was the problem, i tried chrome and same thing started happening, taskbar, task manager, chrome - all hung or frozen and only way to get out of it was to push reset. I tried it in microsoft edge also with the same results.

Then i figured MSI or RTSS was the problem so just to be safe i uninstalled them along with HWINFO64 - and you guessed it - no change - the problem continued, so i uninstalled winamp and a couple other things, rolled back the realtek drivers and the problem still occurs.

At this point, with no error messages or event viewer events i decided the install of windows was borked so i just did a clean reinstall of the OS but as you have probably already guessed that didn't change anything. After i installed the GPU drivers and got the windows updates i opened microsoft edge and it froze or hung almost immediately and again i had to reset with the power button. The random hangs or freezes kept occuring. I thought maybe i need nforce drivers so i tried installing windows 7 nforce drivers but the only option it gave me to install were the raid/sata drivers and i dont use raid but - i installed them anyway - with no effect on the problem.

I wondered if it was some sort of an internet problem, so i decided to install star trek online on this OS and see if it would run, which it did - for about 5 minutes and then it too froze.

Then i thought the hard drive was failing so i downloaded the tool on the western digital website and of course it passed.

I tried, instead of installing the newest drivers for my GPU, letting windows update install it's driver, wich was 388.13 - of course the problem existed with that too. A couple days later there was a new geforce driver so i thought hey maybe this will fix it! No such luck. I tried changing some windows settings - i tried different bios settings - nothing seems to work. I even did a complete reinstall again only to continue to have the same problem. At this point i am not sure if the problem is a windows problem, a bios problem, a driver problem or some problem with the graphics card so i figured it can't hurt to come ask here.

Now onto my system. You already know i have a nforce 750i motherboard and before you ask, yes i have the latest bios update - dated 2009... so for the rest...

PROCESSOR - Core 2 Quad - Q8200 - 2.33mhz
PSU - Thermaltake 750 watts - brand new just replaced the old 800 watt not long ago
GPU - PNY GT 710 - brand new
RAM - 8gb Kingston - 4 2gb sticks - also brand new
HDD - i have 4, each with it's own OS installed - i will give them to you in the order they show in the POST
        - IDE 160gb Hitachi - windows xp pro 32bit - this shows as default in disk management and EasyBCD
        - SATA 500gb Western Digital - windows 7 pro 64 bit - i have easy bcd installed on this one because i had a problem getting the menu to show when i turn the system on so i could choose which OS i wanted to use. Also a brand new hard drive.
        - SATA 320gb Western Digital - windows 10 32 bit - this is my main OS
        - SATA 500gb Western Digital - windows 10 64 bit - the one i am having trouble with. Also brand new.

The other three operating systems work fine, flawlessly i would say and i really don't have much problem with them at all.

The only USB devices are have plugged in are plug and play such as the mouse and keyboard and just for clarity, no i am not trying to overclock anything.

I am sure i am leaving things out so if you can help or need more info i would be glad to supply it and be very grateful, thank you.

post edited by death_dealer - 2019/05/20 15:00:27

18 Replies Related Threads

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/20 08:48:51 (permalink)
    If I were you I would test with Windows 7 installed and if the issue persists we know that there is a hardware problem. Are you getting any codes on the debug LED when the system hangs?

death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/20 14:57:17 (permalink)
    I do have windows 7 installed - pro 64 bit - on a separate hard drive - maybe you missed that when you read my post. It works fine. No hangs or freezes or other problems at all. I can watch videos or play online video games all day if i wanted - and i have.

There are no codes on the debug led - FF is all it says. It pretty much says FF all the time - i mean when its not booting up, when it boots it goes through a bunch but it's always done that. Also no beeps or anything from the speaker.

Another thing i forgot to add - when it hangs i can still move the mouse around. I also updated my original post to add my processor info.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/21 02:39:36 (permalink)
    If I understand this correctly Windows 7 Pro 64 bit works but not Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. If you are dual or triple booting the O/S please make sure each O/S is on a separate drive and not just a separate partition. When Windows 10 64 bit pro is installed change the IDE driver to the generic microsoft driver (device manager) and see if this improves anything. In other words don't use the NVIDIA chipset driver. 
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2019/06/01 04:14:11

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/21 13:49:43 (permalink)
    Like i said in my original post each OS is installed on it's own hard drive, it's actually a quad boot.

I am not using nvidia chipset drivers on this OS, even if i did try to install them it won't let me install anything but the sata/raid drivers anyway and i am not using raid.

This is my 4th clean reinstall so everything is generic microsoft drivers except for the geforce driver and the realtek audio and ethernet drivers.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/21 14:54:31 (permalink)
    Go here and scroll down to "Latest nForce Driverpacks for Win7-10" and give those a try..Maybe (hopefully) they will install/work.

You'll get the driver package in a .rar file..You can create a folder and put the .rar file in it and use 7-Zip (Free) if you need it to right-click and extract the contents (which I did, and seems complete).

Good luck.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/21 20:54:59 (permalink)
    Well Bob, i was about to come back here and yell at you. I had known through my own research about those drivers but i wasn't going to try them until you suggested it - i figured it would just give me the same option to install sata/raid drivers.

Well i did it - the only option it gave me to install were nvidia storage controllers, which included the sata/raid drivers and one other that wasn't in the windows 7 version straight from nvidia - an IDE controller. Sooo i figured what the heck might as well try it - it installed ok and told me to restart so i did.

It came up ok so i logged in and it just sat there with that damned spinning circle of dots and the word Welcome... for 5 minutes... 10 minutes... i went to the bathroom, got a drink, smoked a cigarette, came back and it was still spinning... not good - so i hit control alt delete and i got the normal thing you would expect asking me to choose between signing out or task manger etc. so i just clicked cancel and the desktop popped up! Hooray!

Except it was hung, only much worse than before! The busy cursor was going but it was frozen - i could move the mouse around but no response from the taskbar - no response from right clicking - i hit control alt delete again - no response at all except that i could move the mouse. I waited 5 minutes... 10 minutes... 15 minutes... still hung. I thought oh Great! Thanks a lot Bob! Worst advice ever! LOL I got pissed and pushed in the reset button thinking i was going to have to clean reinstall... again - for the 5th time.

But when it restarted i decided to check again, it came up fine again so i logged in - this time it worked, i am using it now as i type this message and i am gonna test it now and see if the problem has gone away or if it remains. I checked device manager to see what it changed. Only thing i could find was two nvidia nforce serial ata controller under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - disk drive and storage controllers remain unchanged. Under uninstall or change a program i now have nvidia media shield. I assume these are the raid drivers? I don't use raid so i dunno if i should leave it or if it's safe to uninstall it or what.

Anyway i am gonna test now and report back with results. Wish me luck!
    death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/22 13:03:28 (permalink)
    So last night before i went to bed i had video running in firefox for about an hour - today i got up and let it run for almost 4 hours - a new record. So i figured i would try to download star trek online again and see if i could play. The download froze at 5% and it hung the system again. I couldn't close it, the taskbar wouldn't respond - i hit the windows key and the start menu opened but everything was non responsive - i did control alt delete and brought up task manager but then that hung up completely, yet i could still move the mouse around, aggravating.

I tried to restart but ended up having to just push the reset button again. Sadly the problem is still here. I double checked my realtek ethernet driver thinking maybe i had forgotten to update it but no - it shows 10.34 and that is the latest on their website.
    death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/23 09:28:19 (permalink)
    Since i tried bobs suggestion i have gotten 3 BSOD - two for inaccessible boot device and one page fault - plus i can't download anything over about 200mb or it will hang my system completely. I uninstalled nvidia media shield and went to roll back those nvidia nforce serial ata drivers but the option was grayed out. I could however update driver and that gave me some drivers dated 1/6/2017. These are not the same drivers i had before i tried bobs suggestion - plus it stuck them back under storage controllers instead of in IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers so maybe....

I also got some windows updates this morning so - testing again.
    death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/05/23 15:49:03 (permalink)
    I dunno why i didn't think of it before but i believe the reason windows 10 pro 32 bit works is because it was an upgrade from windows 7 pro 32 bit. So i think in order to get windows 10 pro 64 bit working correctly i will need to do the same thing with 7 pro 64 bit, then i can always install windows 7 onto the hard drive i am currently trying to put 10 pro on as a clean install, later - because the way i am trying to do it is probably never gonna work right. Right? I dunno but it's worth a try. Thoughts anyone?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/01 04:16:20 (permalink)
    Just to be clear you can only upgrade a 32 bit to 32 bit and a 64 bit to 64 bit operating system. If you have a 32 bit and want a 64 bit O/S upgrade it has to be a fresh 64 bit O/S install. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/02 18:43:47 (permalink)
    Umm what? I feel like you are not even reading my posts at all.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/02 20:52:26 (permalink)
    death_dealer
    Umm what? I feel like you are not even reading my posts at all.

What rj means, is that you can only upgrade 32 bit to 32 bit and 64 bit to 64 bit. Of course, if your going to install a fresh copy theres no problem moving from 32 bit to 64 bit os. As far as what your trying to do, its probably not going to work because the key was upgraded to a 32 bit os, but hey, you can always try it for the adventure I suppose.   I would never stop someone from being curious and investigating things.... sometimes you get happy accidents.
    post edited by wmmills - 2019/06/02 20:54:44

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/03 18:54:57 (permalink)
    What key was upgraded to a 32 bit OS? I feel like you didn't bother to read my posts either and just replied to his reply.

I installed windows 7 pro 64 bit, then i installed nothing but the nforce drivers, then upgraded to windows 10 pro 64 bit - just like i said i was gonna try.

Then i went ahead and installed the gt 710 drivers. Then i let windows update do its thing which wasnt actually much at all. Just a few updates. The problem is still there - maybe its something with the gpu drivers, i think i am gonna hop over to the geforce forums and see if maybe someone over there can help. Maybe i just need to buy a different gpu - an older one - maybe something in the 600 series.

What i found out though is when you upgrade from 7 to 10, wheter it be 32 bit or 64 bit, it will replace nforce drivers with microsoft drivers.

Conclusions: You don't need nforce drivers in windows 7 unless you are using RAID and i am not. You also don't need nforce drivers in windows 10. My windows 7 pro 64 bit works just fine without them as does windows 10 pro 32 bit.

I don't have a hardware problem since my other three OS's work fine. So my problem is definately specific to windows 10 pro 64 bit.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/04 03:16:48 (permalink)
    I was going off this posts question.....

death_dealer
    I dunno why i didn't think of it before but i believe the reason windows 10 pro 32 bit works is because it was an upgrade from windows 7 pro 32 bit. So i think in order to get windows 10 pro 64 bit working correctly i will need to do the same thing with 7 pro 64 bit, then i can always install windows 7 onto the hard drive i am currently trying to put 10 pro on as a clean install, later - because the way i am trying to do it is probably never gonna work right. Right? I dunno but it's worth a try. Thoughts anyone?

death_dealer
    What key was upgraded to a 32 bit OS? I feel like you didn't bother to read my posts either and just replied to his reply.

I installed windows 7 pro 64 bit, then i installed nothing but the nforce drivers, then upgraded to windows 10 pro 64 bit - just like i said i was gonna try.

Then i went ahead and installed the gt 710 drivers. Then i let windows update do its thing which wasnt actually much at all. Just a few updates. The problem is still there - maybe its something with the gpu drivers, i think i am gonna hop over to the geforce forums and see if maybe someone over there can help. Maybe i just need to buy a different gpu - an older one - maybe something in the 600 series.

What i found out though is when you upgrade from 7 to 10, wheter it be 32 bit or 64 bit, it will replace nforce drivers with microsoft drivers.

Conclusions: You don't need nforce drivers in windows 7 unless you are using RAID and i am not. You also don't need nforce drivers in windows 10. My windows 7 pro 64 bit works just fine without them as does windows 10 pro 32 bit.

I don't have a hardware problem since my other three OS's work fine. So my problem is definately specific to windows 10 pro 64 bit.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    death_dealer
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/04 09:09:12 (permalink)
    I still don't understand. What are you saying? That because i already upgraded a previous windows 7 32 bit to 10 32 bit that i now cannot upgrade 7 64 bit to 10 64 bit because of some key?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/06 10:26:25 (permalink)
    You should be able to upgrade as your Windows 7 64 bit key should be valid or else your system wouldn't be working.

Attempt the upgrade again with only 1 stick of ram and all hard drives/SSDs disconnected except for the system drive.

mr_scary
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 426
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/23 22:52:23 (permalink)
    Did you ever figure out the issue?

I would definitely install OS with only the OS drive attached as mentioned. I have had issues with such. 
    No idea why, it's like windows looks for boot files elsewhere on another drive and alters them.
    Always works best if only the 1 OS drive is installed. until all the drivers and everything is working correctly then hook up all drives and setup respectively in uefi/bios. 
    Also issues with switching from Legacy to UEFI will cause issues as well.  

I was working with 780i though not 750i 
    Windows 10 64-bit no issues. GTX780 SC
    post edited by mr_scary - 2019/06/23 22:54:26

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nforce 750i SLI with windows 10 pro 64bit hang/freeze 2019/06/23 23:33:56 (permalink)
    My guess is that Windows 10 doesn't like a driver/drivers in Windows 7 for that motherboard so a fresh install without adding any external or 3rd party drivers should work. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile