Helpful ReplyZ390 970 Evo and Windows installation

Author
LuDo16
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/18 00:53:02 (permalink)
Hi,
first of all thanks for your help, I'm sure someone here will have the solution to this "ridiculous" issue... 

This is my first build after years so I'm probably a bit rusty... 
I have a Z390 Dark with BIOS to 1.06. 
I have 2 nvme 970 Evo 1x500GB and 1x1TB
I want to put Windows 10 (just created a USB from the Media Creation Tool) to the 500GB. 

Here are the various things I see at first I had both nvme plugged the 500 to the PM1 and 1TB to the PM2. In the BIOS I could only see the 1TB from the nvme configuration list... (but both M2 slots were declared as M2 so U2 and PE3 disabled)
I did not stress over that and I tried to install Windows with I think the UEFI settings and so set properly... 
But Windows installer shows only on drive with 0MB... nothing I can do from there. 

With this I suspected a broken nvme from the box so I removed the 500 same story... then I swapped the 500 instead of the 1000. The 500 is seen in the BIOS as it's now on the PM2... but same issue with the installation of windows... 0MB drive

One thing I noticed by watching this video from eVGA: 
There should be a "UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities" menu at some point (4:47 bottom of the screen) but this I only get "UEFI:USB..." if the USB stick for the Windows install is plugged in before accessing the BIOS... is not in then this menu is not visible... 

Somehow I think I'm missing a stupid settings... but what and where... ? 

I'm sure here for many it's just very basic to do and you will sort out this issue I'm having... 

Thanks a lot... 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30978
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Z390 970 Evo and Windows installation 2019/05/18 20:35:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby XrayMan 2019/06/03 19:20:52
What CPU ?

What other items have you installed in the MB ?

1) Just install 1 Drive when Loading Your OS   Windows will attach itself to all the HD it can find during the install - even the non-boot drives

(excerpt page 51 manual)
 If you plan on using an M.2 or U.2as a boot device, click on or navigate to the “Advanced” menu, select“Onboard Device Configuration” and enable the desired port.Once this is done, press F10 to save and exit, plug in your operating system installation medium (likely a thumb drive) and Windows 10 should be able to boot to M.2 orU.2 without issue.

---> Drive shows up in the BIOS, but is not seen in Windows, then it may be that the drive needs to be initialized, partitioned, and formatted in Windows. See Page 84 for instructions.

Z390 Dark manual

see page 27 of manual for M.2 breakdown "population rules"

page 51 52 & 53 (copy of Manual below  "--->" Added to Help You)

HDD/SSD/M.2/U.2 SetupNext, click “Boot” from the menu list at the top. “Boot Option #1” should show the device that you intend to install your operating system.
If you are using a standard SSD/HDD connected to a SATA port, but the device is not present in the Boot Option #1 menu, scroll downto “UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities” at the bottom. In this menu, the top item will be “1st Boot” and will have a pulldown menu on the right. Click on the pulldown menu and select the intended drive; this will make the drive appear on the previous menu. If the drive continues to be missing, please check the troubleshooting section on Page 144.

---> If you plan on using an M.2 or U.2as a boot device, click on or navigate to the “Advanced” menu, select“Onboard Device Configuration” and enable the desired port.Once this is done, press F10 to save and exit, plug in your operating system installation medium (likely a thumb drive) and Windows 10 should be able to boot to M.2 orU.2 without issue.

*Note*Some device manufacturersrequire specific drivers for HDDs or SSDs (such as M.2) before Windows can detect the drive for installation. Please make sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your HDD or SSD before attempting to install Windows to determine if additional drivers are needed

BIOS Setup and Windows Installation for M.2 and PCIe NVMe SSDs
1.  Remember, NVMe is a new standard and older operating systems do not have native support. Many NVMe drives require certain steps to make the drive bootable, even with current operating systems. PLEASE FULLY READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH YOUR M.2 or PCIe NVMe SSD BEFORE INSTALLATION.
2.  After reviewing your SSD’s instructions and its respective Physical installation instructions above, power on the PC and enter the BIOS/UEFI by pressing the F2key repeatedly.

---> 3.  Once in BIOS/UEFI, navigate to the “BOOT” section. Then go down to the “CSM Configuration” heading and press enter, or click on it with your mouse.
     a.  For Windows 10: Set “Launch Storage OpROM Policy” to “UEFI”. Then set “Launch CSM” to “Disable”

4.  Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS/UEFI.

5.  Press Del on reboot to reenter BIOS/UEFI.
     a.  If you are using a SSD-attached via PCIe, proceed to Step 6.
    ---> b.  If you are using the motherboard’s M.2 slot, proceed to Step 8.

6.  If you are using an SSD connected via PCIe (e.g. an Intel®750) or through an adapter that connects an M.2 SSD to PCIe, go to “Advanced –PCIe Configuration” and verify that the device shows on the slot you have it installed.a.Verify the lane count and PCIe Generation. It should state “x4 Gen3”.

7.  Next check the Dashboard on the upper right. The populated slot, lanes used, and PCIe Generation should all match the information found in the previous step.a.Proceed to Step 9when done.

---> 8.  If you are using an SSD connected to the motherboard’s M.2 slot, re-enter the BIOS/UEFI and go to“Advanced –Onboard Device Configuration,” and set “M.2 Socket3” to “Enable.”

---> 9.  Go to the “Boot” Section, set “Boot Mode Select” to UEFI, and set first boot device to “Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager”.

10.  Press F10 to save and exit. Insert/Connect your Operating System install media and reboot.

---> 11.  Begin the Windows installation. During the drive selection step, you may need to load additional drivers that are provided by the SSD’s manufacturer, which would be covered in the SSD manual. If these steps are not followed you will likely be unable to install the Operating System to the SSD and make it bootable.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

LuDo16
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Z390 970 Evo and Windows installation 2019/05/19 00:32:15 (permalink)
Yeah I succeeded late yesterday and apparently the drives had to be first initialised... lucky me I had a old drive around I installed windows on it and then I could create a partition and then I could install... 
What puzzles me is that in the past I never had to do something like that with a brand new drive... 
Weird but ok. I learned something... 

This is something I did not find reported anywhere... How do you do when you don't have any other drives? 

Thanks for all the explanation, I just went through and all was already ok from the very beginning... Proves I was not too far... :)
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile