1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high

Author
Zaragad
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/17 09:56:27 (permalink)
Hi,
I'm having a very similar issue that started when I got a 1080Ti. Did you ever find a solution?

Also do you get graphical and audio stutter corresponding to the spikes? 
I have a video of the problem (I can PM the video, URLs are blocked since i dont have enough posts). 

Thank you in advance for replying.

post edited by Zaragad - 2019/05/17 10:00:13

8 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 GPU Usage as high as 100% and desktop no gaming. 2019/05/17 10:33:06 (permalink)
    Zaragad
    Hi,
    I'm having a very similar issue that started when I got a 1080Ti. Did you ever find a solution?

I have a video of the problem (I can PM the video, URLs are blocked since i dont have enough posts). 

Turn Off hardware acceleration in your Browser

What changes did you make in Nvidia Control Panel ?

Is Windows in Performance Mode ?

What refresh rate are you running ? over 120 Hz ?

What OC software are you using ?

Scan for Malware - especially the Coin Mining Kind

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nazarus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 252
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 2080 GPU Usage as high as 100% and desktop no gaming. 2019/05/17 10:37:33 (permalink)
    Running anything crazy like Steam Desktop Wallpaper?

Associates: RQAORCJB8JNEFOB/Affiliate:  YTOQRPH9OK

Zaragad
    Re: 2080 GPU Usage as high as 100% and desktop no gaming. 2019/05/17 11:29:36 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Zaragad
    Hi,

Turn Off hardware acceleration in your Browser

What changes did you make in Nvidia Control Panel ?

Is Windows in Performance Mode ?

What refresh rate are you running ? over 120 Hz ?

What OC software are you using ?

Scan for Malware - especially the Coin Mining Kind

It's not just the browser. The problem is apparent as soon as the windows login screen appears, as the animation transitions there are not smooth and even text input is not smooth since the whole system is stuttering. Monitor is currently 144hz 1440p but issue has been happening before I purchased it and was running a 1080p 60hz monitor prior.

I'm posting my EVGA Ticket submission for posterity, if anyone has any ideas, PC specs and config are there. Thanks!

PC Configuration:

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming5
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz (Not-Overclocked)
    Ram: 2xCorsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    HD1:Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB
    HD2 Hitachi 2TB
    HD3:Seagate Barracuda 3TB
    PSU: EVGA

Displays:

ASUS ROG PG279Q - 1440p, 144hz(overclocked to 165hz) - Plugged in Display Port (the middle one)
    Acer KN242HYL - 1080p, 60hz - Plugged in DVI
    Oculus Rift CV1 Plugged in HDMI (Sometimes only, however it is relevant to the issue)

Peripherals:

Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
    KB: Corsair K70 LUX

--------

Problem: Ocasionally system will boot with the GPU in a state that causes sudden spikes that max out the GPU usage and make sound and graphics stutter. This is not during gaming but regular windows graphics activities i.e. opening Start Menu, Dragging windows, Log in screen etc. 

Occasionally the system will refuse to POST and monitors will stay dead. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 reboots until it finally posts. 
    Then the first telltale sign of the problem is the Windows 10 "spinning circles" after typing in password is choppy, motion is not smooth. Usually I can tell its in this state even when I start typing my password as text field would seem laggy, and key input will seem laggy as well. After logging into windows, login windows fade animation is choppy, mouse movement is stuttering, opening the start menu is choppy, opening browser is choppy, and overall choppy graphics performance across the OS. 

When the chopping occurs, while monitoring PrecisionX software I see that the choppyness coressponds to GPU Usage spiking to 100% and then back down to 4-5%. When I try to open an application (Browser, Spotify) GPU usage shoots up to 100%. At this point if I have music running, the audio starts to cut off, there's aliasing in the audio signal and it also corresponds to the GPU spikes. Playing a youtube video causes the spikes to occur as well causing graphical stuttering. 

Unfortunately there is no way to show you the issue with a screen shot so I am putting in a video link I took with my phone showcasing the issue. 
     You can preview it on google drive, no need to download it if you are worried about malware etc. 

Current NVidia Drivers are 430.39 however this issue has been persistent for over a year with various driver updates. I have done a full driver removal with DDU and reinstalled clean but the issue persist.

Motherboard BIOS version is the latest available, as well as all motherboard drivers, host controller drivers etc. are running the latest versions.

The issue seems to happen more frequently when I have my Oculus Rift plugged in, almost daily, HOWEVER it also happens when it is unplugged with only my 2 monitors running. I have been able to reproduce it with a single monitor as well. 

--------
    Solutions tried:

Like I've stated I've tried clean driver install after DDU wipe - issue persists.

Moving the GPU to a different PCIe Slot - issue persist.

Plugging the monitor directly into the motherboard, thus bypassing the GPU - FIX. POST every time, no stutter at all. 

--------

Workarounds: 

Rebooting...many many times. Sometimes it only takes 1 reboot, sometimes it takes 5 until the system finally comes up to a usable state where the issue does not appear. When the system is running in this clean state the issue DOES NOT reappear randomly until a reboot, sleep and wake, or a full-shut down and power-on is performed. 

Like I mentioned earlier, having the oculus rift plugged it causes the issue to happen more frequently and takes more reboots to fix. When it happens without the Rift plugged in, 1 or 2 reboots fixes it, so if I am unable to make it boot into a clean state I unplug the Rift and reboot a few more times and then it's fine. I've tried removing all oculus software from the system and the issue has persisted. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high 2019/05/17 11:38:04 (permalink)
    Split the Thread & Moving to 1080 section

Always best to start your own thread to get Help from the EVGA Community

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zaragad
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high 2019/05/17 11:50:31 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Split the Thread & Moving to 1080 section

Always best to start your own thread to get Help from the EVGA Community

Sorry, didn't mean to piggyback off the 2080 thread, issues were probably the most similar I've found online. 

I've also checked Power Supply voltage - Showing a constant of 12.168V, I think this is nominal and rules out the PSU for now. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high 2019/05/17 12:06:50 (permalink)
    Here is what I would do If I were having this issue...

#1 Reset motherboard bios to optimized defaults.
    #2 Set ram manually to correct frequency, timings & voltage.
    #3 Perform a clean install of windows using the media creation tool.
    #4 Update all your motherboard device drivers with the latest drivers from here.
    #5 Install the latest gpu driver from here.

If you continue to have problems after doing the above I would try testing the video card in another known good working system to see if the problem follows the card or not.
    Zaragad
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high 2020/03/27 09:26:52 (permalink)
    I just wanted to follow-up on my issue. I have finally replaced my motherboard (previous was Gigabyte Z97 MX Gaming 5) with an Asus Z97 Pro and the problem disappeared. It was the motherboard all along.  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Usage as high 2020/03/27 11:52:37 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile