Helpful ReplyWant honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
jeffyt
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/05/10 17:09:23 (permalink)
Yeah, so I have had some interesting encounters with my 2080ti from EVGA. First card came with 1 dead fan, causing overheating/throttling. Promptly replaced with a brand new unit in retail box. Everything worked great but there was an occasional flicker. It got a little worse and after 9 months, just about a month ago, I started my 2nd RMA. Now the 3rd and 4th card have both artifacted after about 1-2 weeks of excellent performance at full load. They both started the same flickering a few days before artifacting, but that 2nd card was great at full load for the whole time and EVGA found nothing wrong with it. They did find artifacting with the 3rd card and I assume they will with the 4th that I will be sending back. Both of these cards are EVGA RMA Re-certified instead of brand new and have similar serial numbers.

All the evidence pointed to GPU. Almost everyone seemed to agree except a few people on reddit. I spoke to EVGA tech through e-mail and on the phone a few times, voicing my PSU or system may be causing issues. They took me through BIOS, had me monitor 5v and 12v, all good. I did a few more tests on my own which are described more in the links down below. They have now sent me 5 2080ti, so I assume they would be first to question if I am the cause of this. I then continued on reddit, a mix of people saying GPU but others saying PSU. I ultimately decided not to replace the PSU with the 4th card but it ended up artifacting after 2 weeks, a little longer than the 3rd card.

After the fourth died of artifacting again, I was even more suspicious that it was PSU. Followed up with EVGA and again brought up my PSU or other system components being a possible issue. They once again assured me again that they would send me another card and take care of it, which I really appreciate but this has driven me nearly insane. I followed up with Reddit again and almost everyone said it was GPU... until a few hours later when I decided to post on the TeamEVGA subreddit. Nearly everyone just spat on me and told me it had to me PSU... I've lost my mind now.

Before anyone bashes me for being so stupid, I finally decided: there is no diagnosing this issue with my level of knowledge. I started RMA with corsair for the PSU and it will hopefully be shipped today. I am receiving my 5th 2080ti card today so I will NOT plug it in until my new PSU arrives. And yes, I checked with Corsair, this will be brand new instead of refurbish. So that's taken care, I understand that instead of making myself go insane and waste hours of time, just replace the PSU to get it out of the way. Understood. 

All I really want now is to get some honest feedback, please be brutally honest. Am I just insanely stupid? was it the PSU all this time? what do you guys think after reviewing all my detail here and linked below?

Also.. I'm sure it's hard to base this on just my words... so here is a link to my most recent reddit post on TeamEVGA where everyone spat on me telling me it was PSU and also includes links to other threads I have made/experiences I have had. 
EDIT: Hmm seems like it's removing my link. Google "TeamEVGA reddit" and look for the "High Tier Paid Support?" topic
EDIT2: Sorry just edited out bad language. 
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/10 17:27:01

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:12:24 (permalink)
Welcome to the Forum
EVGA Forums Terms of Use
Forum Etiquette 

Members are expected to treat each other with respect, and be courteous of each other's opinions and advice, regardless of his or her relative experience. Although lively discussion is encouraged among members, there are seven things that will not be tolerated: 
  • Inappropriate Language - The EVGA forums are family-friendly.  Many members have children who also view these forums, and these forums are intended to be accommodating to them, as well.  Profanity is not permitted in pictures or posts on the forums and will earn a warning if posted. Discussion of bodily functions, whether vulgar or humorous, is inappropriate for these forums.  Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post.  Finally, users whose usernames containing inappropriate language or references to illegal activity will be given a chance to change their username, or it will be changed for them.

Multiple Accounts - Do not create secondary accounts.  If you have an account issue, contact the Webmaster via his email address or Private Message, and provide your information that would help identify your account, and provide a brief description of the issue.  Creating multiple accounts to evade a temporary or permanent ban will increase your time away from the forums leading up to a permanent ban.  If you have accidentally created a second account, please contact the Webmaster so it can be removed. Post# 5
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/10 19:38:03

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:15:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 17:24:21
Good luck!

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:31:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 17:34:47
Hello jeffyt! I couldn't find your RMA information so it must have been processed under a different member account than your forum account. I will send you an e-mail so I can work with you on this. All of our RMA replacements are tested before shipping out and also considering that there have been new-in-box replacements as well, it honestly doesn't sound like the failures are due to the graphics cards. After cycling through that many cards it is hard to imagine that there couldn't be another component at fault causing the failures. The power supply would be the most likely culprit and I would agree that you should wait until you get the new PSU before installing the card again. 

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:38:44 (permalink)
EVGATech_AdamB
Hello jeffyt! I couldn't find your RMA information so it must have been processed under a different member account than your forum account. I will send you an e-mail so I can work with you on this. All of our RMA replacements are tested before shipping out and also considering that there have been new-in-box replacements as well, it honestly doesn't sound like the failures are due to the graphics cards. After cycling through that many cards it is hard to imagine that there couldn't be another component at fault causing the failures. The power supply would be the most likely culprit and I would agree that you should wait until you get the new PSU before installing the card again. 

Thank you Adam! I actually was trying to post with my normal EVGA account but it just wouldn't let me on the forums... I also responded to your msg on reddit a few days ago, copy/pasted it to the e-mail you just sent me, thank you so much man.

Also just to clarify, when you say "new-in-box replacements" I just want you to understand: only the first 2 were brand new. The one I bought from Newegg - which had the 1 dead fan and the one I got from you guys to replace it. It was fine for 9 months, it was fine even when you guys got it- they were unable to find any issues. I only RMA'd it a month ago (after the 9 months I mentioned) because the flickering was getting more frequent. Otherwise, it never artifacted and would handle full load perfectly fine.

The 3rd and 4th are the ones to artifact and that's after 1-2 weeks. Both of these were "RMA Re-certified" or that's what the EVGA tech told me when I asked for a brand new unit as my 5th 2080ti. He said I could only buy a brand new unit from your store, otherwise if I wanted warranty service it would have to be a RMA Re-certified card. So honestly I feel like if it was PSU, it should have just shut down or burnt the cards right away... but I guess they can slowly kill devices? I am just surprised it hasn't damaged any other unit in my system if it is bad. Either way, I am waiting for the RMA of the PSU before plugging in the 5th 2080ti lol.

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
wedgoku
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:47:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 17:49:30
@ as a new Evga Forum member you are not allowed to post any URL links until you have @ least 10 forums posts (it auto removes url links), good-luck hope you solve your problem.
EVGATech_AdamB
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1930
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 17:47:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/19 07:24:46
I just replied to your e-mail and replied to your Reddit post as well. I'll take a further look into this as well as the testing results from your cards. Power supplies can affect components over time, especially if their tolerances occasionally spike beyond what is considered safe for components. Graphics cards can be fairly sensitive to power delivery without simply shutting down or having a resistor fail immediately. I'll investigate to see what I can find and update you through e-mail.

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link HERE
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 18:51:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 20:20:08
wedgoku
@ as a new Evga Forum member you are not allowed to post any URL links until you have @ least 10 forums posts (it auto removes url links), good-luck hope you solve your problem.

Everything you need to know is in this link:  The ultimate starter-thread for new members

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 19:01:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 20:17:17
Reddit can be a harsh place... I hope that my posts (eliteassissin07) did not come across as being such. From the information that you shared on Reddit and now here, I stand by my original assessment that the power supply is to blame. 

You mentioned that initially the system was shutting down under heavy load and you had to use two separate PCIe power cables to resolve this. What was occurring in this situation, as you noted, was that you were overloading the +12v rail the reason this was resolved with the usage of two separate cables is that this distributed the load across both rails instead of just a single rail. The Corsair RM750i is a 750w power supply... the 750w is applicable to the +12v rail. Per Corsair documentation on this power supply when running in single rail mode you end up with a single +12v rail that can deliver a max load of 62.5A's and 750w's. I am assuming (due to it not being documented) that when running in multi rail mode it runs with two +12v rails. With two +12v rails that means that each rail is only able to deliver a max load of 31.25A's and 325w's. When running low power devices this is fine and it acts like a breaker in your house by not allowing the devices connected to any one single rail to consume more than 31.25A's or 325w's of power. However if you connect something like a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra for example to this power supply running in multi rail mode you have to be sure to use two separate PCIe power cables one from each rail as a single rail will not be able to deliver sufficient power. All of that too say that I am not really sure that this power supply is going to be large enough to supply sufficient clean power to your system especially when running in multi rail mode. For the purpose of this conversation I am going to assume that you are using a EVGA RTX FTW3 Ultra with a power limit of 373w. Even with two separate cables powering the GPU at full load you will be putting about 187w on each of the two rails leaving only about 138w of head room. This IMO is really not enough head room on each rail as you have to take into account that other devices in your system will also be feeding off of the +12v rail. You could switch the power supply over to single rail mode, but even than you are cutting things close on power... Your power supply is 750w I would leave 15% unused (think of this as extra head room for spikes etc) so just factoring in 15% head room (112w) and the GPU at 373w that only leaves 265w for everything else in your PC which depending on your build may be enough, but I think its going to be close. 

The other reason I suggested the power supply as being the culprit is because I also tired running an EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HC off of a Corsair HXi750 and technically as long as I did not load the CPU up it SHOULD have been sufficient for the GPU, but for some reason it just didnt seem like it was up to the task... I didnt have any crashes, but I had observed odd behavior with the GPU such as the LEDs dimming (on the GPU) for a couple of seconds when a load was applied and the voltage on the +12v rail dropping slightly for a couple of seconds and than normalizing. I suspect two things were at play here I dont believe the cables on the Corsair HXi750 are of sufficient quality to deal with the load of an RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra and I suspect that these power supplies are not actually able to output at the advertised values and when you are already tight on wattage this can spell trouble. I ended up selling my Corsair power supply to a friend of mine who is using it without issue to power his RTX 2070 and purchased a single rail EVGA Super Nova. Unfortunately I believe that the quality of the Corsair power supplies especially those at the higher output limits suffer from some quality control issues which appears to be reflected in recent reviews, go check out the reviews for the Corsair 1200w AXI series... 

I wish you the best of luck and completely understand how frustrating things like this can be, but I have confidence in EVGA support to be able to help you. Oh and do your self a favor sell that Corsair power supply and get your self an EVGA Super Nova =). 
post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/05/10 19:05:51

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 19:25:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 20:20:01
jeffytThank you Adam! I actually was trying to post with my normal EVGA account but it just wouldn't let me on the forums...

I do not believe that you are allowed to have multiple forum accounts. You might want to ask EVGA to assist you with restoring your original account and removing this duplicate account.

Secondly,

1st card @ unknown duration + 2nd card @ 9 months + 3rd card @ 1-2 weeks + 4th card @ 1-2 weeks = way longer than the RTX cards have even been available.

Just the 2nd card at 9 months alone is not possible. Your story covers 10+ months for a product line which has existed for less than 8 months.

Something isn't adding up. Having the cards for longer than the RTX cards existed, owning multiple forum accounts, and EVGA not being able to find record of your RMA, is causing me to be cautious. Just recently, within the last 2-4 weeks, you have completed 2 RMAs from your original account, which means presumably that you accessed your original account at least 2 times within the last 2-4 weeks. But now you can't access it? That seems odd.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/05/10 19:57:08

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:02:07 (permalink)
That's a wall of text.. brain. Freeze

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:14:16 (permalink)
ty_ger07
jeffytThank you Adam! I actually was trying to post with my normal EVGA account but it just wouldn't let me on the forums...

I do not believe that you are allowed to have multiple forum accounts. You might want to ask EVGA to assist you with restoring your original account and removing this duplicate account.

Secondly,

1st card @ unknown duration + 2nd card @ 9 months + 3rd card @ 1-2 weeks + 4th card @ 1-2 weeks = way longer than the RTX cards have even been available.

Just the 2nd card at 9 months alone is not possible. Your story covers 10+ months for a product line which has existed for less than 8 months.

Something isn't adding up. Having the cards for longer than the RTX cards existed, owning multiple forum accounts, and EVGA not being able to find record of your RMA, is causing me to be cautious. Just recently, within the last 2-4 weeks, you have completed 2 RMAs from your original account, which means presumably that you accessed your original account at least 2 times within the last 2-4 weeks. But now you can't access it? That seems odd.

OK my bad, I even feel more stupid as I can't do simple math. I just checked my EVGA product page and it was registered 9/28 from Newegg as the very first entry. That is not the 9 months that I originally said, more like 6. I'm sorry for being so dumb.
Also, wanted to clarify that I CAN access my original account, I just could not access the forums... I even ended up switching to Mozilla Firefox to create and post here.
I have been talking to Adam and am sure he can verify I am legit. I am not here to scam anyone lol

Also sorry for not responding to others, still need to read the other post from the reddit user.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:19:49 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
Reddit can be a harsh place... I hope that my posts (eliteassissin07) did not come across as being such. From the information that you shared on Reddit and now here, I stand by my original assessment that the power supply is to blame. 

You mentioned that initially the system was shutting down under heavy load and you had to use two separate PCIe power cables to resolve this. What was occurring in this situation, as you noted, was that you were overloading the +12v rail the reason this was resolved with the usage of two separate cables is that this distributed the load across both rails instead of just a single rail. The Corsair RM750i is a 750w power supply... the 750w is applicable to the +12v rail. Per Corsair documentation on this power supply when running in single rail mode you end up with a single +12v rail that can deliver a max load of 62.5A's and 750w's. I am assuming (due to it not being documented) that when running in multi rail mode it runs with two +12v rails. With two +12v rails that means that each rail is only able to deliver a max load of 31.25A's and 325w's. When running low power devices this is fine and it acts like a breaker in your house by not allowing the devices connected to any one single rail to consume more than 31.25A's or 325w's of power. However if you connect something like a EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra for example to this power supply running in multi rail mode you have to be sure to use two separate PCIe power cables one from each rail as a single rail will not be able to deliver sufficient power. All of that too say that I am not really sure that this power supply is going to be large enough to supply sufficient clean power to your system especially when running in multi rail mode. For the purpose of this conversation I am going to assume that you are using a EVGA RTX FTW3 Ultra with a power limit of 373w. Even with two separate cables powering the GPU at full load you will be putting about 187w on each of the two rails leaving only about 138w of head room. This IMO is really not enough head room on each rail as you have to take into account that other devices in your system will also be feeding off of the +12v rail. You could switch the power supply over to single rail mode, but even than you are cutting things close on power... Your power supply is 750w I would leave 15% unused (think of this as extra head room for spikes etc) so just factoring in 15% head room (112w) and the GPU at 373w that only leaves 265w for everything else in your PC which depending on your build may be enough, but I think its going to be close. 

The other reason I suggested the power supply as being the culprit is because I also tired running an EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HC off of a Corsair HXi750 and technically as long as I did not load the CPU up it SHOULD have been sufficient for the GPU, but for some reason it just didnt seem like it was up to the task... I didnt have any crashes, but I had observed odd behavior with the GPU such as the LEDs dimming (on the GPU) for a couple of seconds when a load was applied and the voltage on the +12v rail dropping slightly for a couple of seconds and than normalizing. I suspect two things were at play here I dont believe the cables on the Corsair HXi750 are of sufficient quality to deal with the load of an RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra and I suspect that these power supplies are not actually able to output at the advertised values and when you are already tight on wattage this can spell trouble. I ended up selling my Corsair power supply to a friend of mine who is using it without issue to power his RTX 2070 and purchased a single rail EVGA Super Nova. Unfortunately I believe that the quality of the Corsair power supplies especially those at the higher output limits suffer from some quality control issues which appears to be reflected in recent reviews, go check out the reviews for the Corsair 1200w AXI series... 

I wish you the best of luck and completely understand how frustrating things like this can be, but I have confidence in EVGA support to be able to help you. Oh and do your self a favor sell that Corsair power supply and get your self an EVGA Super Nova =). 

Oh no way dude, you were one of the most nice and actual knowledgeable people there. The guy with 1 line of text kinda got to me though lmao. I just had a hard time believing 750 wasn't enough since my 2nd card was running for around 6 months with no issues. They actually didn't even find a problem with it when I sent it in for rma. It's the one with the flickering that was getting more frequent. The same flickering that became present a few days before artifacting on card 3 and 4.

I'm not really sure now. I might just use amazon primenow to buy an EVGA 850w and sell the RMA corsair.. this is kinda sketching me out.
screw it, just ordered and its actually arriving between 10pm and midnight. EVGA for life!
I have no idea what is wrong with me. I spent all this time trying to figure out if the psu is the cause instead of just replacing it. I spent $1250 on a gpu, the least I could do is spent $130 on a new PSU to avoid this massive headache... gah I really am stupid.. my bad for wasting so much time guys.

EDIT: just realized I double posted instead of making an edit... I'm sorry.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/10 20:47:48

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:33:19 (permalink)
Did EVGA support suggest power supply issue as well? 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:47:09 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
Did EVGA support suggest power supply issue as well? 

EDIT2: Sorry forgot to mention: EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra

EDIT: OH did you mean the 750w? ugh I'm so dumb >< I did ask them about that on the phone but they said 750w is way more than enough. I'm still getting a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 in a few hours though. I'm just going to sell the corsair RMA when it arrives. I hope I shouldn't have gotten 1000w or something.. lol
-----
Now that I've reviewed their responses, they did suggest it may be an issue but leaned more on the GPU being the issue and I just kept getting a feeling of either they just didn't want to read the huge amount of text, which I honestly do not blame them for at all - it's so much insane detail, or they just wanted to close my case quickly. But honestly I just thought they would have told me to replace my PSU if they thought it was an issue, before continuing to send out $1250 cards over and over... I was just probably too freakin annoying... I'm sorry. Here are some snips:

Hi, just wanted to follow up with a little more information. I really want to make sure my other hardware is not at fault, especially the PSU. I already monitored the BIOS 12v readings like Robert suggested but I also ran a benchmark for about an hour. I have attached the results as an attachment/picture with multiple graphs that OCCT generated and I combined.
The test was running using DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 11. DirectX11 would just stop after 2 seconds. This is after using DDU to remove everything while in Safe Mode, disabling internet, installing the newest nvidia drivers. Division 2 uses both DX11 and DX12 but both seem to crash after a few minutes of loading. It was around 95% gpu usage, 250 fps but limited to 30% power limit and -500 core/memory. The card was running at about 500-550mhz gpu clock and 6500mhz memory clock during the test.
The first card just had simple fan issues but the second and third are similar.
A very important discovery I made was when I dropped both core and memory clock -504, set Power limit to 30% and launched Borderlands 2. Everything was good for about 20-30 seconds. I got in game, ran around and then I started to get very strange flickering. VERY similar to what had been happening with my first replacement card, the same one I sent in a week or so ago, just a lot more intense. (more flickering and while the GPU is severely downclocked) I almost feel like that card was at the very beginning stages of getting to this stage, like some sort of hardware is failing on these cards but the EVGA tech told me that they found nothing wrong with the card I sent back. 
Another detail is when restarting the computer. I am now at the point where when I reboot my computer, it will start artifacting the moment it hits the Login screen. It'll take a few seconds of a glitchy screen and then it will be back to normal. I am assuming it is when the tool is started and the -500 downclock/30% power limit is applied. If I reset the downclock to default or 0, so no boost or downclock, it will instantly start artifacting and black screen. Sometimes I will need to replug the HDMI cable to get image, but Remote apps on my phone can access the computer too. After a short while, the system just completely lags out and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, if the last setting was 0 instead of the downclock at -500, it will take 4-5 reboots until I can actually open up the tool and set the downclock back to -500 before it starts artifacting, freezing and crashing the system.
The card now NEEDS to be at -500mhz on both core and memory clock to actual display the desktop... and this all started when it suddenly started artifacting during the top 1/8 of the screen while playing The Division 2 and crashed. After that, it wouldn't even boot back up until I applied the downclock which it would get in game, but crash after a few minutes while on all LOW settings. So it seems like it's degrading quickly too.
So I am really sorry for the huge amount of text and understand that everything really seems like it's just the GPU failing/artifacting but again, I just want to make sure it's not my system causing any issues. I really don't want this happening again.
Are there any other possibilities that I need to look at? Any other applications I can try using to stress test to ensure nothing in my system is causing these issues?
Thank you.
 -----------------------------------------------
Thank you for the long description of the issue and all the troubleshooting involved. Although the power supply does show a steady voltage, it's possible it may be unstable underload but the only way you can test this is by using a multimeter tool to get an accurate real-time reading other than that, the graphics card is is more likely to be at fault especially if you are able to test it in another system and the issue persists.

Once you get the replacement I would highly recommend to test the card in a different PC before installing it in your main rig.
 -----------------------------------------------
I'm sorry to hear about the continued trouble with your replacement card. It looks like your most recent card did fail our testing with artifacting. The RMA before that passed our testing, and the first RMA failed testing (fan noise). I'm assuming the issue is card related from your previous troubleshooting, so I've setup another Advanced RMA so we can get you a fully functioning replacement ASAP.

One thing I never really understood, why should I try it in another PC? (advice in one of the snips above) I mean my rig has been running the cards for a good amount of time. The shortest was 7-8 days before artifacting so I would have to borrow a PC capable of running a 2080ti for over 2-3 weeks or something. It's not as if the cards were dying within hours, I just didn't understand that suggestion.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/10 21:27:30

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 20:57:37 (permalink)
@jeffyt  "One thing I never really understood, why should I try it in another PC?"
Because it could be in general a bad computer, Hardware, Software, Drivers, OS.
So this is why members are asked to test the card in another computer.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:04:31 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
@ "One thing I never really understood, why should I try it in another PC?"
Because it could be in general a bad computer, Hardware, Software, Drivers, OS.
So this is why members are asked to test the card in another computer.

Hmm.. I mean I would have to have a computer capable of doing that for over 2-3 weeks since mine handles the cards just fine for about 1-2 weeks, right?
Sure, I could see going over to a friends house to plug it in or borrowing their pc for a day or two, but I would have to borrow it for over 2 weeks at least to make a difference in my case right?
Sorry maybe I'm just being annoying... just didn't make much sense to me. I apologize

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:07:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 21:13:19
Remember that this is a Member to Member Forum so we are Members helping each other.

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:08:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/10 21:13:23
Buy a new dp cable as well. Certified displayport cable. May help with flickering.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:15:17 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Remember that this is a Member to Member Forum so we are Members helping each other.

Thank you man.
AHowes
Buy a new dp cable as well. Certified displayport cable. May help with flickering.

I'm actually using HDMI (my TV/main display has no DP port unfortunately) but I have replaced it 3 times- last one being a brand new Amazon HDMI cable.
I also use the same TV for movies/console which have never had flickering. Also the 3rd/4th card didn't have flickering for at least a solid week. They only started a few days before artifacting... so I guess it's a good sign that it's dying but strangely enough the very first brand new RMA card lasted over 6 months with the flickering and never artifacted + EVGA found nothing wrong with it at all.

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:26:44 (permalink)
Then might be time to buy a new monitor.. guess you'll find out sooner then later.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 21:28:50 (permalink)
AHowes
Then might be time to buy a new monitor.. guess you'll find out sooner then later.

I also use the same TV for movies/console which have never had flickering.
Also the 3rd/4th card didn't have flickering for at least a solid week. (both) They only started a few days before artifacting (both)
I also haven't had any flickering for the past few days as I have been using the integrated GPU with my 7700k and same HDMI cable, just inserted into my MB now.

Also it's not your standard flickering. It was a very strange broken up image. Like if I was on my desktop or chrome, mostly when I was just typing on forums/reddit, my desktop wallpaper image would appear for .00001 second and disappear. If I was in game, whatever was on screen would just flash again for .00001 seconds and disappear. All very randomly. It wasn't just a black screen flicker, but some very weird broken/scattered image flicker. It was present on the second card as well, for around 6 months, got a bit more frequent, but EVGA never found anything wrong with it... maybe I should have just dealt with the flickering :D
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/10 21:34:01

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 22:02:33 (permalink)
A lot of these issues are also caused by NVIDIA and their Drivers.

wedgoku
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/10 23:25:11 (permalink)
Cool GTX
wedgoku

Everything you need to know is in this link: 

Thankyou for the link, IMO there are way too many steps required to just copy/paste a Youtube or URL link(users should be able to just copy/paste links into "quick reply")! it's good to know but imo the EVGA forums are badly designed vs "xtremesystems" or "overclock dot net"....
post edited by wedgoku - 2019/05/10 23:39:29
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 00:10:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 02:27:59
jeffyt

Also it's not your standard flickering. It was a very strange broken up image. Like if I was on my desktop or chrome, mostly when I was just typing on forums/reddit, my desktop wallpaper image would appear for .00001 second and disappear. If I was in game, whatever was on screen would just flash again for .00001 seconds and disappear. All very randomly. It wasn't just a black screen flicker, but some very weird broken/scattered image flicker. It was present on the second card as well, for around 6 months, got a bit more frequent, but EVGA never found anything wrong with it... maybe I should have just dealt with the flickering :D

Sounds like you were experiencing screen tearing since I assume your TV isn't Gsync capable as majority aren't.  Always sync your FPS to your screen's Hz aka refresh rate. 

A few things come to mind. 

1. Bad PSU
2. Not so clean power from the outlet/bad weather?
3. On a bad surge protector or a simulated Sinewave UPS
4. High Temps overtime will degrade components/bad case flow/high ambient temps
5. Loose connections or bad grounds

It's VERY highly unlikely it's the GPU after the 2nd time tbh.  Very rare would you get 2 bad GPUs back to back, let alone 3-4+.  Something else is going on and usually testing out parts with back up ones helps investigating this but understand not everyone has extra parts laying around. 

A new PSU is worth a shot tbh.  My 1st choice that I prefer is Seasonic Prime PSUs, EVGA/Corsair are all considered top notch and ironically I've had issues in the past with a AX1200i but all have been fixed since and still trucking along just fine.

Give us a run down of your PC system, screen included and what it's connected to from case to wall to better assist.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 00:56:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 02:28:02
I can't say... RTX2080Ti have more problems then any previous generation. 
I will not avoid strong words to spare emotion of people who invest money... I understand when someone buy hardware don't like to hear that he made mistake and that line is worse... because people with limited budget didn't bought Turing. That was product from first day for guys who don't care. Not only for price, they not care how much performance they got. Now reality is cruel, only K|NGp|N performance and difference compare to GTX1080Ti are worth... but his price is not even close to price of RTX2080Ti... But if you check score that's performance you expected from reference model. When guys OC K|NGP|N or FTW3.
customers with limited budget who save money for new GPU looked in silence what happen with high end graphic cards prices and bought second hand Pascal more then ever.

I doubt this problem have anything with EVGA.
You have luck because you bought their card to get new one in box.
Because with others you would probably debate weeks with their support.

I don't know why some brands have support and force you to write every single information about PC when technical support give you advice and it's obvious that they don't know to recognize difference between motherboards.
I send question to ASUS how to disable CPU Fan Error if PC Boot and fan is not to CPU Fan header. I installed ASUS Fan Extension card and didn't want anything on CPU Fan Header.
Wasting of time. Question of forum, wasting of time as well. At the end I found among many option in BIOS because it's not like on older ROG Motherboards and resolve problem. After 2 days arrive answer from ASUS to set setting I don't have in BIOS. Obviously that technical support didn't look motherboard type at all.
My first opinion was... God, imagine RMA. OK I have different procedure in East Europe, but people worldwide, in USA example...
On twitter ROG site there is some question to give opinion about ASUS ROG and advice.
My advice was Buy ASUS ROG on place where you can back and replace very fast, if work paradise, if not hell. No middle.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/05/11 01:02:56

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 02:17:11 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
jeffyt

Sounds like you were experiencing screen tearing since I assume your TV isn't Gsync capable as majority aren't.  Always sync your FPS to your screen's Hz aka refresh rate. 

A few things come to mind. 

1. Bad PSU
2. Not so clean power from the outlet/bad weather?
3. On a bad surge protector or a simulated Sinewave UPS
4. High Temps overtime will degrade components/bad case flow/high ambient temps
5. Loose connections or bad grounds

It's VERY highly unlikely it's the GPU after the 2nd time tbh.  Very rare would you get 2 bad GPUs back to back, let alone 3-4+.  Something else is going on and usually testing out parts with back up ones helps investigating this but understand not everyone has extra parts laying around. 

A new PSU is worth a shot tbh.  My 1st choice that I prefer is Seasonic Prime PSUs, EVGA/Corsair are all considered top notch and ironically I've had issues in the past with a AX1200i but all have been fixed since and still trucking along just fine.

Give us a run down of your PC system, screen included and what it's connected to from case to wall to better assist.

Hehe I always have vsync enabled, I hate screen tearing. The flicker was a really hard to describe issue where it was just a jumbled up picture. Like half of the desktop wallpaper would appear at the top part or sides would be swapped, etc.. really hard to describe and tell since it was so quick.

1. I just replaced the PSU w/ 850w G3 EVGA SuperNova.
2. I have an APC BR1500MS Back-UPS
3. Not sure if above UPS is Sinewave or not. Pure Sinewave
4. I do have a HAF X. CPU temps are usually around 70, max 75 while gaming and 80 while benchmarking. GPU temps stay around 70-75 and 80 max while both gaming and benchmarking. I could get about 69 if I change it to full fan speed, but I really like quiet curves but end up usually hovering around 78-79 in heavier games.
5. I spent over 2 hours on this new PSU and made sure everything was firmly plugged in and clicked/snapped once pushed in all the way.

Just to be clear, I only got 2 cards that artifacted back to back (after 1-2 weeks each), the first two were just kinda unrelated technically. (first was dead fan on arrival and second was flicker but worked fine under load over 6 months which EVGA found no issue with at all)

Motherboard: MSI M3 Gaming Z270
CPU: 7700k @ 4.8ghz
GPU: evga 2080ti XC Ultra
Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX
PSU: Old one: corsair rm750i psu and now EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3,
Screen is B7A from LG and is 55in OLED.
Did you want a full list of USB devices connected too? No powered hubs if that's what you're wondering but I do have some USB 3.0 and 2.0 extension cards in there. Take a look at some pics below for some more info.
Vlada011
I can't say... RTX2080Ti have more problems then any previous generation. 
I will not avoid strong words to spare emotion of people who invest money... I understand when someone buy hardware don't like to hear that he made mistake and that line is worse... because people with limited budget didn't bought Turing. That was product from first day for guys who don't care. Not only for price, they not care how much performance they got. Now reality is cruel, only K|NGp|N performance and difference compare to GTX1080Ti are worth... but his price is not even close to price of RTX2080Ti... But if you check score that's performance you expected from reference model. When guys OC K|NGP|N or FTW3.
customers with limited budget who save money for new GPU looked in silence what happen with high end graphic cards prices and bought second hand Pascal more then ever.

I doubt this problem have anything with EVGA.
You have luck because you bought their card to get new one in box.
Because with others you would probably debate weeks with their support.

I don't know why some brands have support and force you to write every single information about PC when technical support give you advice and it's obvious that they don't know to recognize difference between motherboards.
I send question to ASUS how to disable CPU Fan Error if PC Boot and fan is not to CPU Fan header. I installed ASUS Fan Extension card and didn't want anything on CPU Fan Header.
Wasting of time. Question of forum, wasting of time as well. At the end I found among many option in BIOS because it's not like on older ROG Motherboards and resolve problem. After 2 days arrive answer from ASUS to set setting I don't have in BIOS. Obviously that technical support didn't look motherboard type at all.
My first opinion was... God, imagine RMA. OK I have different procedure in East Europe, but people worldwide, in USA example...
On twitter ROG site there is some question to give opinion about ASUS ROG and advice.
My advice was Buy ASUS ROG on place where you can back and replace very fast, if work paradise, if not hell. No middle.

I like that you are not avoiding using strong words. I need to be spat on because I'm dumb and need to learn... I should have just replaced the PSU in the first place(edit, did not work-5th card died within 2 days this time) and avoided this whole nightmare.
Although, I do not agree about only kingpin being worth it over the 1080ti but that is very subjective to be honest. Hard to find worth in something when people have different life styles/income/priorities but I do agree it's for enthusiasts. I love the 2080ti for 4k gaming, gives me the boost the 1080ti just didn't have in 4k.

I agree that this probably had nothing to do with EVGA.
and yes I agree, EVGA has the best service around, no doubt. That is why I decided to buy an EVGA brand PSU :)

Scary stuff about the motherboard lol, I would absolutely hate to RMA a motherboard because of how much work would need to be undone and then done again hehe. and you couldn't even use it in the meanwhile!

So I just spent a little over 2 hours and completely replaced the PSU and all associated parts, I even replaced the 4 screws that hold the PSU in place and the cord that supplies power to the PSU... no chances lol. Got my 5th 2080ti plugged in and did some small stress tests. Everything seems solid but I'll have to test it for at least a few weeks and at full load with games like Division since both times that's the game that caused artifacting lol. Very intense at 4k I'm assuming. Anyway guys, thank you so much and here are some pics. and yeah... my bad. I smoke in my room + live with a cat... I clean the case out frequently but gotta disassemble and wash the whole case soon.. it's pretty nasty now that I'm looking at close up pics..

only let me upload two pics, here is full album link   https://imgur.com/a/4ygyKis
Thank you Cool GTX for posting the link to post rules which mentioned this work around!

link fixed by Cool GTX

post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/19 07:33:39

Attached Image(s)

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 02:23:17 (permalink)
Hmm it's only letting me upload two pics.. size limit I think. I shrunk them a lot but still only 2 uploaded.
I think this should be my 10th post so hopefully this link doesn't get removed:
Thank you Cool GTX, the link actually explains 30 posts for links or to simply insert spaces inbetween the link, so here it is: https:// imgur .com/a/4ygyKis
 https://imgur.com/a/4ygyKis

EDIT: OK so I played Division 2 for 20 min and noticed something funky with the power % while using MSI Afterburner OSD. I saw it spike up behind my 130% power limit. It was shooting up like 133, 131, I even saw 149 for a second. I saw this with the 4th card as well but honestly not sure if it means anything... just thought I mention it here just in case. Everything seems fine so far though. GPU temps were cooler around 75-76 tonight but it was short session.

Link fixed by Cool GTX
[Note: the Size of All attached photos has a Limit - that is why only 2 photos would load for you]
post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/05/11 05:02:02

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 05:06:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:37
This "bracket" is not helping with your temps - as it blocks the hot air that comes out the side of the heatsink.  Can your remove it ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

scott@bjorn3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 692
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 05:34:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:35
Ok just saw an issue in one of your last post, if every having video issue on the 2xxx cards always make sure to take CPU to stock speeds.  We have seen what was thought to be good overclocks actually cause issues with these cards.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile