Author
xTemon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2019/04/24 18:30:41 (permalink)
Hi,

I am looking at doing another rebuild, using a X299 FTWK and I'm not finding the options I am looking for in the QVL

What I want: 4 slots populated with 8 GB Chips, for a total of 32 GB, Kingston HyperX, or 8 slots populated with 4 GB chips, for a total of 32 GB, Kingston HyperX. Your QVL only seems to offer limited options for Kingston, and caps out at 16 GB. And for most of the rest, iirc, it is 32/64 with 16 GB chips from Corsair. Which is fine, but I'm looking at spending around 250 CAD on RAM, rather than 600. Kingston is solid, reliable, and I have had zero issues with it in the past, so unironically, that's what I'm looking at buying.

But I don't want to guess obviously. There really aren't that many options as far as this goes. Obviously if I go with 4 GB chips, I'll be over budget, (I'm buying motherboard, CPU, and RAM at the same time), but not excessively. Just more than I would like. 

The Chips I am looking at are: 

HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 1.2V DIMM (288-pin) HX424C15FB2K2/16 *2

That's pretty much the only option I'm interested in as the rest are twice the price, even just changing from Black to White or Red. White would be nice, but I'm not doubling down just for a color scheme. I'd go with the Predator if I was going to spend that much, instead. Which is still black, but whatever. 

Anyway. I just want to know if these have been tested for populating 1, 3, 5, and 7, and work well. Alternative, for around the same cost, if necessary, (which may not be bad if I plan on going up to 64 GB later, but it's not on my to do list at the moment):

HyperX Fury 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 1.2V Black DIMM (288-pin) HX424C15FBK2/32 

I'm aware there is reasonable compatibility there, but I don't use XMP profiles personally, (I don't like them), and tend to just adjust the RAM if needed, or Auto it's speed and let the motherboard adjust it, which tends to work as well as I need it to. Which is pretty functional most of the time.

Not interest in overclocking either, though I might be just a little tempted to just see what it can do once. Maybe. But for normal use, everything will always be running at stock, with no Turbo/Speed Step. It's just not necessary for me, and I get rock solid stability without those features, which is what I like.

Hopefully someone is familiar, has tested, or knows whether I can just pop those in after setup. 

Thanks,
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: [Looking For] X299 FTWK Memory Compatibility not in QVL 2019/04/26 11:27:40 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby xTemon 2019/04/30 17:49:52
I took a look at our QVL reports for the X299 motherboards, and didn't see any Kingstons fail.  We just don't have any 2400MHz models to test, it looks like.  2133MHz and 2666MHz, yes, but not 2400MHz.  Other brand 32GB DIMMs work at 2400MHz and higher, so I would expect Kingston to also work, as well.  So, although we can't put them on our QVL, I would expect either model you mentioned to work without issue.
xTemon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: [Looking For] X299 FTWK Memory Compatibility not in QVL 2019/04/30 17:54:36 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
I took a look at our QVL reports for the X299 motherboards, and didn't see any Kingstons fail.  We just don't have any 2400MHz models to test, it looks like.  2133MHz and 2666MHz, yes, but not 2400MHz.  Other brand 32GB DIMMs work at 2400MHz and higher, so I would expect Kingston to also work, as well.  So, although we can't put them on our QVL, I would expect either model you mentioned to work without issue.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up deciding to go with the Z370 FTW and a 9600K instead. I completely forgot Kingston has memory compatibility searches on their site too, and just used that to find the memory for the 370. A bit less money invested anyway, and it should get me by until Intel steps up their game a few years from now with the HEDT lineup. (post refresh 10nm). 

I sort of thought it would be fine, just old QVL and newer RAM makes it a bit uncertain. Hopefully Kingstons compatibility list for the 370 FTW is good because I just bought 4 sticks lol

Thanks again. Appreciate it :) 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile