EVGA

Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix?

Author
NickNasc
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/19 10:13:41 (permalink)
I held off that BS October update as long as I could but it got in.  It seemed fine until I started it up this morning and got the dreaded NO BOOT DEVICE FOUND!!  &^%^$#$%^  As I logged off last night I saw a tiny update come in and this morning BORKED!! Machine was running flawlessly until that moment.  NOW I can't even get any usb sicks to boot so i can try a repair.  I SWEAR we should be able to sue MS for this type of damage!!!!  Been on this all morning.    Anyone else even looking at this stepchild forum where evga clumped all of us into to be ignored have this issue??  Any help is appreciated.

Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL Black
Displays:   2X  4K  Samsung UE510 28" Ultra HD  1X 2K  32" 144hz Gaming  X1 Samsung 55" 4K

CPU:AMD 2700X 4.05 GHZ
MOBO:   ASUS Crossfire 8 Hero WIFI X570
VGA:  EVGA RTX 2060 XC ULTRA

Ram: 32 GB Trident Z NEO 3600 Mem DDR4 
Primary Drives: Sabrent M.2 Gen 4 1tb  Samsung M2 950 Pro 512gb, Samsung  850 Pro 512 SSD x 4,  1x 4tb Performance WD HDD 1x 6TB WD HDDBlack

PSU: Thermaltake Tough power Grand 850psu
Cooling: EVGA CLC 280

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 10:27:38 (permalink)
    OK, it is a Windows issue Not an EVGA MB issue 

There is a better thread to report this problem in ---> Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread

Moving to General Software section of Forums

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » General Software

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 10:29:32 (permalink)
    Safe Mode has what Boot options ?

This the PLX fix you mention ? https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2614309

TECH_DaveB
    Hello all, I have just posted a PLX update that should resolve the problem, and it is available in http://www.evga.com/support/download/ Motherboard tab - "Intel Z97" - "152-HR-E979 - EVGA Z97 Classified" - "Firmware"
    Unfortunately for several reasons it was not possible to integrate this into a BIOS update, and due to other limitations it is recommended to do the update from within DOS.

Please remember for all who read this, this is ONLY for the Classified, as it is the only board in this line with a PLX chip.

The update can be downloaded here
    Below are the steps also found on the download page:

It is recommended to use a USB bootable drive running DOS.

If you do not have one, we can recommend: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml
    1. Run HPUSB (from above link) on a USB thumb drive to build it as a DOS startup disk. Previous data on the USB drive will be lost.
    2. Extract contents of E979_PLX_Update.RAR
    3. Copy FW tools into USB disk
         A. Be sure the following files are on the USB disk (PlxCm.exe, PlxEep.exe, 151207.BIN, and update.bat)
    4. Ensure a PCIE device is plugged into a PCIE 16 slot 2/3/4/6 to ensure PLX is initialized prior to the update.
    5. Boot into USB disk and run update.bat file.
    6. Reboot when done

This should get the PLX running non-graphics cards at the speed they should be, I apologize for the issues.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

NickNasc
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 10:37:29 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

There is a better thread to report this problem in ---> Windows Updates successes and/or problems thread

WOW!!  REALLY??  You tested this and know it to be true in less than 3 minutes??  I Have you know I am one of the original users that helped with the information needed to develop and TEST that PLX chip update I am talking about. Where you?  We knew one day that a major OS change could do this. This is SPECIFIC to the Classified Z97 and this M.2 drive.  SO you just moved this all by yourself without knowing if it the cause ( as we predicted ) so I could chat with others who also used this hybrid solution for M.2 on the Z97??   Putting this here pretty much guarantees that it will never bee seen by the people I need to see it.  I see I have been here longer than you have so I MIGHT know what i'm Talking about.  Instead of moving stuff around how about helping with some Information?? 

post edited by NickNasc - 2019/04/19 10:45:31

Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL Black
    Displays:   2X  4K  Samsung UE510 28" Ultra HD  1X 2K  32" 144hz Gaming  X1 Samsung 55" 4K

CPU:AMD 2700X 4.05 GHZ
    MOBO:   ASUS Crossfire 8 Hero WIFI X570
    VGA:  EVGA RTX 2060 XC ULTRA

Ram: 32 GB Trident Z NEO 3600 Mem DDR4 
    Primary Drives: Sabrent M.2 Gen 4 1tb  Samsung M2 950 Pro 512gb, Samsung  850 Pro 512 SSD x 4,  1x 4tb Performance WD HDD 1x 6TB WD HDDBlack

PSU: Thermaltake Tough power Grand 850psu
    Cooling: EVGA CLC 280

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 12:46:10 (permalink)
    Is the m.2 detected inside the bios?
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 13:06:41 (permalink)
    Dang, and I thought I had it bad with the whole 1809 failed to install loop.

Good luck with your fix D=

Edit : You can also use a laptop or a friends PC to create a new windows 10 ISO and use a thumbdrive to install a fresh copy, it comes with the latest update, but installed CORRECTLY. That's what fixed my problem... you can keep all your old stuff obviously.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/19 15:39:03 (permalink)
    NickNasc
    Cool GTX

WOW!!  REALLY??  You tested this and know it to be true in less than 3 minutes??  I Have you know I am one of the original users that helped with the information needed to develop and TEST that PLX chip update I am talking about. Where you?  We knew one day that a major OS change could do this. This is SPECIFIC to the Classified Z97 and this M.2 drive.  SO you just moved this all by yourself without knowing if it the cause ( as we predicted ) so I could chat with others who also used this hybrid solution for M.2 on the Z97??   Putting this here pretty much guarantees that it will never bee seen by the people I need to see it.  I see I have been here longer than you have so I MIGHT know what i'm Talking about.  Instead of moving stuff around how about helping with some Information?? 

"Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy" 

Hey, no problem. 

I thought you might get better help in the Software section, but if you want it moved back to EVGA Intel 270/170/9/8/Legacy Series

I'll move it back for you - No Worries

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Win 10 update BORKED my Z97Classy. Anyone else using the m.2 plx fix? 2019/04/20 07:05:32 (permalink)
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/04/17/microsoft-windows-10-problem-update-warning-upgrade-cost

It would seem this is mostly likely the cause, as Windows has admitted that the update is cause hard locks during the boot process.

Evidently it is tied to the antivirus according to the Forbes article and Windows pointing fingers at the antivirus companies.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile