PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms

Author
boylerya
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1910
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/16 16:56:19 (permalink)
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/playstation-5-specs-amd-ryzen-navi-ray-tracing,39085.html
I have purchased every playstation except playstation 4 and it is paying off with PS5 having PS4 backwards compatibility for what I assume will finally be true 4K PS4 gaming.  PS5 is a must buy on my list.

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
Garlic is the Antichrist.

7 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/16 21:22:27 (permalink)
    I think the ray tracing will be the biggest news for it since any PS5 port to the PC will be easier to just add ray tracing then any other lighting. We will have to see what Microsoft does but I don't think they would add Ray Tracing to DirectX and then not have the next generation of Xbox lack support for it.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/16 22:37:39 (permalink)
    A good win for AMD. This is a custom AMD chip with Navi.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/17 09:05:20 (permalink)
    Competition breeds excellence... good to see!

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/17 12:18:12 (permalink)
    I am also interested to see what media format it uses. Hopefully it has a 4K Blu-Ray drive but it would be nice if they supported 8k media.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/17 14:09:24 (permalink)
    yes, indeedy!! 

rjohnson11

It is not custom sir, but the future of console and PC Gaming.  This chip is the beginning of tech innovation in the coming years for AMD and Intel.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/17 18:01:36 (permalink)
    atfrico
    yes, indeedy!! 

rjohnson11

It is not custom sir, but the future of console and PC Gaming.  This chip is the beginning of tech innovation in the coming years for AMD and Intel.

But wasn’t AMD used in the Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch? It’s good for AMD but console games are always sub par to what people expect from a PC version.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: PlayStation 5 Will Be Based on AMD Ryzen and Navi, Sony Confirms 2019/04/17 18:13:18 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    atfrico
    yes, indeedy!! 

rjohnson11

But wasn’t AMD used in the Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo Switch? It’s good for AMD but console games are always sub par to what people expect from a PC version.

Oh you thinking small grasshopper. If AMD can do a chip combine with Navi for consoles, can you imagine applying that to PC but in a bigger/advance scale

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile