Z370 i7 8700K and temps

Author
geswek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1235
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2019/04/13 18:12:07 (permalink)
I have the EVGA CLC 240 AIO -- just curious if you all felt concerned by this or maybe I'm expecting too much out of the EVGA CLC? I was considering maybe replacing the paste (that comes with cooler) with some Diamond IC or something.

Ambient Room temp is about 70F right now.

It's 4.8GHz at 1.250v

I'm working on some IFR and ILS approaches with X-Plane 11 so this is at load -- when I ran RealBench during stress I was hitting 90c at 100%.

Max listed on Core Temp was reset before I started working in X-Plane.

post edited by geswek - 2019/04/13 18:19:40

Fractals [build thread] [heatware]
Case & PSU: Fractal Meshify C Mini Dark · EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 
System Core: I7-8700K 5GHz @ 1.330v · EVGA Z370 Micro · 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3200 16-18-18-35
Storage & OS: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe · Western Digital Caviar 1TB · Windows 10-64bit Pro 
Multimedia: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid · Dell Ultrasharp 27in Gaming · SteelSeries Arctis 7 
Watercooling: EVGA CLC 240 AIO CPU

4 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Z370 i7 8700K and temps 2019/04/14 10:13:21 (permalink)
    The problem with 8700K's is that they do not have have their IHS soldered so temp consistency between them isn't as uniform among them. Having said that there could be any number of things contributing to the temps. Could be where your case is at it isn't getting good air flow, could be a uneven mount of the cooler, could be a concave/convex IHS in which case only lapping the CPU would help.....ect.

I'm seeing mid 60's in game in the pic you provided and that's just fine at load. The max temps you can pretty much ignore as they are just spikes and not indicative of your average consistent running temps unless they are spiking to 100C or so. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 i7 8700K and temps 2019/04/15 06:14:32 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    The problem with 8700K's is that they do not have have their IHS soldered so temp consistency between them isn't as uniform among them. Having said that there could be any number of things contributing to the temps. Could be where your case is at it isn't getting good air flow, could be a uneven mount of the cooler, could be a concave/convex IHS in which case only lapping the CPU would help.....ect.

I'm seeing mid 60's in game in the pic you provided and that's just fine at load. The max temps you can pretty much ignore as they are just spikes and not indicative of your average consistent running temps unless they are spiking to 100C or so. 

I thought the same thing; my case is a custom designed Parvum S2.5 (https://www.parvumsystems.com/products/s2-5-matx) I had it designed to a specific theme so it has a 120mm front fan and 240mm top fan instead of what you see on the website. I have the EVGA AIO GPU cooler radiator in the front 120mm slot with fan blowing in; then I have the EVGA 240 AIO CPU radiator in top with the fans blowing outward, and then 3 80mm rear fans blowing outwards too. 

However, I am moving to new case as the custom design doesn't meet my desire (don't know why I had a game-themed case designed). I decided to get the Fractal Meshify C Mini (https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c-mini) which will allow me to put both my radiators on the front (has room for 3-120mm's.

I'm going to bump my clocks back to 4.8GHz; just got concerned on temps. When I ran the benchmark it was hitting 100c at 100% load and I was little concerned with that.

System Core: I7-8700K 5GHz @ 1.330v · EVGA Z370 Micro · 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3200 16-18-18-35
    Storage & OS: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe · Western Digital Caviar 1TB · Windows 10-64bit Pro 
    Multimedia: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid · Dell Ultrasharp 27in Gaming · SteelSeries Arctis 7 

xTemon
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 376
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Z370 i7 8700K and temps 2019/05/04 23:36:50 (permalink)
    geswek
    CraptacularOne

I thought the same thing; my case is a custom designed Parvum S2.5 (https://www.parvumsystems.com/products/s2-5-matx) I had it designed to a specific theme so it has a 120mm front fan and 240mm top fan instead of what you see on the website. I have the EVGA AIO GPU cooler radiator in the front 120mm slot with fan blowing in; then I have the EVGA 240 AIO CPU radiator in top with the fans blowing outward, and then 3 80mm rear fans blowing outwards too. 

However, I am moving to new case as the custom design doesn't meet my desire (don't know why I had a game-themed case designed). I decided to get the Fractal Meshify C Mini (https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c-mini) which will allow me to put both my radiators on the front (has room for 3-120mm's.

I'm going to bump my clocks back to 4.8GHz; just got concerned on temps. When I ran the benchmark it was hitting 100c at 100% load and I was little concerned with that.

Honestly, your GPU AIO is going to produce more heat than the CPU AIO, and you've got it blowing into the chassis. Usually the front is a cool air intake on a fully Air cooled system. I'd probably have the AIO for the GPU somewhere else, blowing out. Use the Front panel to draw in cool air. You're basically pushing hot air into the system then trying to push it back out through the CPU AIO. It's obviously still performing well enough, but I expect that's mostly because you're drawing air in through other areas with a negative pressure system.

I mounted my AIO on the front panel for the CPU CLC, and I hesitated about that, but decided to do it anyway because the front has the Filter on it, and I wanted to keep the AIO relatively clean. I've got 2 fans exhausting on top, and 1 on the rear however, so it should be pulling cool air through the AIO and whatever heat is disipated into the chassis from the AIO should get vented quickly. Seems to work alright. My temps idled at 30-33 C initially, and 1 day later, (same AIO as old build, new motherboard and CPU), they're down to 29-30. That could be slightly lower ambient, but it doesn't feel cooler today. Quite the opposite actually. 

What's odd about yours though, is the difference between coolant temps and CPU temps. That's quite a stretch. Comparatively, mine is about 2 degrees difference on average, somewhat more under load. I'd suggest you may want to see about remounting the AIO using some decent thermal paste. And have a look at where your spread was on the initial mounting. 
    post edited by xTemon - 2019/05/04 23:45:20
    geswek
    FTW Member
    Re: Z370 i7 8700K and temps 2019/05/05 13:37:11 (permalink)
    xTemon

Honestly, your GPU AIO is going to produce more heat than the CPU AIO, and you've got it blowing into the chassis. Usually the front is a cool air intake on a fully Air cooled system. I'd probably have the AIO for the GPU somewhere else, blowing out. Use the Front panel to draw in cool air. You're basically pushing hot air into the system then trying to push it back out through the CPU AIO. It's obviously still performing well enough, but I expect that's mostly because you're drawing air in through other areas with a negative pressure system.

I mounted my AIO on the front panel for the CPU CLC, and I hesitated about that, but decided to do it anyway because the front has the Filter on it, and I wanted to keep the AIO relatively clean. I've got 2 fans exhausting on top, and 1 on the rear however, so it should be pulling cool air through the AIO and whatever heat is disipated into the chassis from the AIO should get vented quickly. Seems to work alright. My temps idled at 30-33 C initially, and 1 day later, (same AIO as old build, new motherboard and CPU), they're down to 29-30. That could be slightly lower ambient, but it doesn't feel cooler today. Quite the opposite actually. 

What's odd about yours though, is the difference between coolant temps and CPU temps. That's quite a stretch. Comparatively, mine is about 2 degrees difference on average, somewhat more under load. I'd suggest you may want to see about remounting the AIO using some decent thermal paste. And have a look at where your spread was on the initial mounting. 

I ended up doing the delid on my 8700K and swapped around case and AIO setup.
    You can find it here; https://forums.evga.com/Fractals-the-adventure-m2946625.aspx

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile