G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/04/11 23:12:06 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/254555/g-skill-designers-pander-to-their-own-vanity-with-a-trident-z-royal-jewel-case

G.Skill thinks some users find their modules too pretty to be installed inside a computer, and has come up with a completely useless jewel case to let them admire G.Skill's creation. We initially dismissed FC-UM4A-TRK as an April Fool's joke, but turns out it's a real commercial product purchasable separately. Commonly sold as the "G.Skill Trident Z Royal Display Box" in cursive font, this jewel case clad with faux leather much like the faux diamonds on the memory modules' RGB LED diffusers, is somewhat functional. 

You open its top lid to find four DDR4 memory slots. You seat your Trident-Z Royal memory modules, pull out the USB cable from the bottom drawer, and plug the jewel case to your PC. This lights up the memory modules, cycling through their lighting presets. If you were expecting the USB connection to do anything beyond powering the case, such as mounting the memory modules as a RAMdisk volume, we have bad news for you. On the plus side, you get a microfiber cloth to wipe the pristine mirror finish of your memory modules, and a 1-year warranty, just in case.

This has to be one of the more ridiculous product accessories I've ever heard of. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/12 02:25:06 (permalink)

If I had the funds to mess around with, I'd grab this as a collector's piece with that RAM.  Probably use it as a prop up for a proposal too.  "Will you m...."  

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/12 04:16:01 (permalink)
    Why?

I know posts should be longer then one word but all I can think is “why did someone think his was needed?”

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Tribbs
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 247
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/12 04:46:30 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Why?

I know posts should be longer then one word but all I can think is “why did someone think his was needed?”

For when the memory is outdated next year because they took way too long to release it  
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/12 09:09:38 (permalink)
    Tribbs
    Hoggle
    Why?

For when the memory is outdated next year because they took way too long to release it  

Only piece of outdated technology I would display like this would be my Voodoo 5 6000.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/12 09:51:14 (permalink)
    Buy the RAM ... use the gift box to surprise the other half with something they want

https://gskill.com/en/product/fc-um4a-trk

1-Year Limited Warranty 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/14 18:42:03 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Why?

2019, where people create solutions for problems that don't even exist. 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/15 17:48:26 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Why?

Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can. Same principle applies here.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/15 18:11:32 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Why?

I can actually see this sort of thing arising out of their marketing team wanting something that would allow them to display the RGB of the memory without needing a full system to transport or install the memory.  Granted, things escalate from there, as they would probably want a certain quantity made cheaply, and then their factory would have a certain MOQ, and then....next thing you know you have 500-1000 of these things that you have to figure out how to sell.
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/15 19:01:31 (permalink)
    probably the same reason intel put their 9900K in stupid blue ball.  waste of plastic. 

Maybe you can convert the box into a humidor for real purpose. 

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: G.Skill Designers Pander to Their Own Vanity with a Trident-Z Royal Jewel Case 2019/04/15 22:24:28 (permalink)
    They won on their marketing stand point because we're all talking about it. lol

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile