EVGA

I need a new motherboard and would be grateful for advice

Author
Tim_R
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/31 06:54:49 (permalink)
I bought the components to build a new Windows 10 machine but am having no luck installing Windows from bootable thumb drive on the motherboard I bought (not from EVGA) whose BIOS seems very flaky to me. I've given up on the other one after days tinkering and hours on the phone with tech support.  So I need a new motherboard.  Somewhere I saw a blurb "the EVGA BIOS is the best in the business", but I'm not sure if that meant in terms of the number of tweakable features (e.g. for gamers and overclockers) or in terms of its stability and support for things like boot from USB thumb drive.

I have the following
CPU:  i7-7700K  LGA 1151 
MEMORY two 8GB sticks of Micron Ballistix DDR4 DRAM
Power:  EVGA  650G2
Graphics: EVGA GEFORCE GT730  or a GigaByte GTX1050
HD:   Crucial SSD
Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
ASUS DVD, Corsair case, logitech USB keyboard and mouse

I need the following  features from the MB:
HDMI x 2  (two-monitor setup)
WiFi (ideally on MB but M2 card is OK)
USB 3.x
at least four(4) 6GB SATA ports
micro-ATX or mini-ITX  form-factor (prefer mATX)

And above all, I need a robust, stable BIOS.   

What EVGA MBs fit the ticket?   Are the latest motherboards "backwards compatible" with earlier generations of CPU, or do I need to find a MB that is already a couple of years old?   Would the EVGA B360 (112-CS-E365) be my only choice?  Does EVGA sell the M2 Wifi card?

post edited by Tim_R - 2019/03/31 07:00:30

4 Replies Related Threads

DavidO
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 163
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: I need a new motherboard and would be grateful for advice 2019/03/31 12:29:29 (permalink)
    Hello Tim_R,

From what you listed here seems like you might be looking for something in our Z270 line. Unfortunately, this line of motherboards in no longer in production but some units can be found sometimes on our B-Stock list or other authorized resellers or even private sellers. You can use this link HERE for a better understanding of the products we had from this line. in this case, you might want to look at the Z270 Stinger. Our B-stock list does change from time to time-based off what we have available at that moment. 

jboudwin
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re: I need a new motherboard and would be grateful for advice 2019/04/08 09:20:35 (permalink)
    I don't know if it's related but I couldn't load Windows on my EVGA Z390 FTW.  Some how it goofed up my M.2 SSD's such that the BIOS no longer could see the them.  I was advised to update the BIOS before doing anything else.  You don't need an operating system (at least on my mobo) to enter the UEFI and do a BIOS update from a thumb drive.  Once I did that it worked perfectly.  Unfortunately the two M.2 SSD's that I tried to install Windows on still could not be found even as a secondary drive.

Mobo...EVGA Z390 Dark    CPU...I9 9900K . GPU...EVGA GTX 2080 Ti .  RAM...Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB 3200MHz    SSD...Samsung V-NAND SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2x2TB
    PSU...Silverstone Strider 1500W   Case...CoolerMaster HAF   CPU waterblock... 
    EVGA 240mm CLC OS...Windows 10 Professional 64bit  Headphones...Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro   Monitor...BenQ 27" 120Hz X2
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72035
    Affiliate code...3NHCVGU6U9
    DavidO
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re: I need a new motherboard and would be grateful for advice 2019/04/08 10:33:43 (permalink)
    Hello Jboundwin,

Let's see if I can help you figure this out I will also be sending you an email shortly. Please reply to me there when you receive it.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: I need a new motherboard and would be grateful for advice 2019/04/08 13:54:53 (permalink)
    jboudwin
    I don't know if it's related but I couldn't load Windows on my EVGA Z390 FTW.  Some how it goofed up my M.2 SSD's such that the BIOS no longer could see the them.  I was advised to update the BIOS before doing anything else.  You don't need an operating system (at least on my mobo) to enter the UEFI and do a BIOS update from a thumb drive.  Once I did that it worked perfectly.  Unfortunately the two M.2 SSD's that I tried to install Windows on still could not be found even as a secondary drive.

So your m.2's were detected on an earlier bios, and disappeared when you updated the bios? If yes, then it sounds like you need to go back to the previous bios you were running before the issue occurred.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile