EVGA

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen

Author
lsprime
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/03/26 00:28:23 (permalink)
Recently I uninstalled the latest NVIDIA Drivers 41x.x that were working fine for a while (1-Week) and my screen stays permanently black after restart.

The reason why I wanted a fresh driver installation for my 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards was because in Device Manager 2 out of 4 GPU's  were getting automatically disabled throwing an error code 43. In case you don't know GTX690 has dual GPU's so that's why I have 4 GPU's listed in Device Manager. 
I also disconnected from the internet because each time I was uninstalling the drivers windows 10 was pulling out nvidia drivers automatically tru Windows Updates...so I downloaded before the latest drivers from NVIDIA Website and wanted to manually install them after restart.

What I didn't expect was getting a permanent black screen after the required restart to finish up unistalling the graphics card drivers...

Now I can't see anything not even the POST Screen to enter BIOS... Nada...
I tried every possible cable and tested on 3 ASUS Monitors all different models. Asus vp28uqg , Asus vs248hr, Asus vz249he. No video signal what so ever from both graphics cards. Tested also individually.

Tested with DVI to DVI (cable), DVI to HDMi ( cable + adapter), DVI to VGA (cable + adapter), Mini DP to DP (cable),  and Mini DP to HDMI (cable + adapter). No signal...

I took everything apart, ram, cpu, graphics card, ssd, sata cables, psu.. I than measured the voltage on the psu but that was ok. So than I concluded it has to be still a software issue after uninstalling the drivers.. 

I puted all back together and installed only one graphics card..still no video signal. Switched cards and tried in different PCIe slots and got no signal either.

The funny part is the PC is indeed booting into windows 10 but video signal is not there..and I can't get into BIOS because I can't see anything. 

Done CMOS Reset 1)with Baterry  2) jumper method on the motherboard. No signal..

I tend to believe that the graphics cards BIOS Rom is faulty after the last installation and not recognized by the Motherboard BIOS (v. 5802).

I actually cannot believe that there is an hardware issue with the graphics card as they were working just fine a few days ago and under normal office work.

My PC Config:
Motherboard: ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU: 2x Intel E5-2690 Xeon
RAM: 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Video: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 690
1x Samsung 840 PRO 512GB Sata SSD
1x Samsung 970 EVO PCIe Nvme 1TB SSD
1x WD RED NAS 3TB Sata HDD

Any help will be highly appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/03/26 13:14:56 (permalink)
    Sounds like the cards are toast. If you believe the cards just need to be reflashed with the original vbios you can do that yourself using nvflash. You can download the original .rom here. You'll just need to install the cards into a system with an igpu so you can reflash them, or you could install a working video card into your system, and then reflash the cards one at a time.

lsprime
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/03/28 12:19:55 (permalink)
    I am waiting for a new card. If I don't get any signal with the new one than it must be the Motherboard. But like I said the cards were working perfectly fine before the latest nvidia updates. Never had any heat problem with them, constantly checking GPU temps in Hadrware Monitor, Idle ca. 30-35 oC, never over 50oc and just daily office work since 2012.

Thank you for your help.
    albiss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/04/01 04:52:33 (permalink)
    You really did everything possible to find out what caused the problem, impressive!

Really interested in knowing the issue.

lsprime
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/04/01 22:54:43 (permalink)
    Fixed it finally!! Graphics Cards were all fine. The only problem I had was the BIOS on the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboard wasn't reseting properly. Took tens of times the CMOS Battery out,.. Doing the Jumper Trick tens of times,.. FIX: Installed the new graphics card and got a screen..
    - I had a Samsung NVME SSD with PCI-Adapter installed before and set BIOS settings to boot on UEFI and Legacy since NVME boots only on UEFI Mode.
    - I think the problem occured after I changed "Launch Video opRom policy" from Legacy only to UEFI Only. Which I tought I will solve it easily once I reset the BIOS if something goes wrong, like I don't get a screen.,

The GTX 690's  are 2012 Cards and looks like they dont support UEFI Boot... So the fix was to 1) buy a new card which supports UEFI Boot 2) get into BIOS and do a Reset Default 3) Save Settings and restart.,, Checked if "Launch Video opRom policy" was back on the original settings 'Legacy Only' and installed the old cards back in. Everything works now!

Bad luck with ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboards,, I gues ?!,.. never had a situation when BIOS will not reset at all after I take the CMOS baterry out and everything apart.
    albiss
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/04/02 04:28:14 (permalink)
    Congrats!
    Your determination paid off!

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/04/02 10:09:35 (permalink)
    Some excellent troubleshooting to find that issue. Congrats.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Cards - Permanent Black Screen 2019/04/02 11:23:12 (permalink)
    lsprime
    Fixed it finally!! Graphics Cards were all fine. The only problem I had was the BIOS on the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboard wasn't reseting properly. Took tens of times the CMOS Battery out,.. Doing the Jumper Trick tens of times,.. FIX: Installed the new graphics card and got a screen..
    - I had a Samsung NVME SSD with PCI-Adapter installed before and set BIOS settings to boot on UEFI and Legacy since NVME boots only on UEFI Mode.
    - I think the problem occured after I changed "Launch Video opRom policy" from Legacy only to UEFI Only. Which I tought I will solve it easily once I reset the BIOS if something goes wrong, like I don't get a screen.,

The GTX 690's  are 2012 Cards and looks like they dont support UEFI Boot... So the fix was to 1) buy a new card which supports UEFI Boot 2) get into BIOS and do a Reset Default 3) Save Settings and restart.,, Checked if "Launch Video opRom policy" was back on the original settings 'Legacy Only' and installed the old cards back in. Everything works now!

Bad luck with ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboards,, I gues ?!,.. never had a situation when BIOS will not reset at all after I take the CMOS baterry out and everything apart.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile