EVGA

Temperatures too high?

Author
FrankCastle1911
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/24 16:30:26 (permalink)
I need help to understand a couple of things. I recently assembled my new PC, as a video card I mounted an EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 that I already used on the old PC. To be more precise the old system was housed inside a Cooler Master HAF X while the new one is in a Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamics. In idle the video card goes from a minimum of 27 degrees up to a maximum temperature of 35 °, which I believe is normal... instead, while playing, it reaches high temperatures above 75 ° after 15\20 minutes with peaks of 80 ° / 83 ° which trigger the pop-up notifications of the CAM software. I reach this temperatures despite having increased the speed of the fans (aggressive profile) on the card and also of those at the bottom of the case. My doubt / problem is that I don't know if this thing is normal... on some threads here in this forums there are people with similar problems who have been told that the FTW3 heats up a lot more and they have to worry only if it exceeds 88 ° / 90 °. Now I don't know if I reached these temperatures in the old system without noticing becouse I had Windows 7 and no type of software to monitor in-game hardware so zero notifications, alarms, or anything else... or if I have to worry about things like putting new thermal paste on the GPU (a nightmare) or doing an RMA. In conclusion I would like to add that the 3 small LEDs on the side of the card, wich change colours depending on the temeperatures level, had never reached the red status, only blue and green (i have left the default setting for the LEDs). However it seems strange to me that in a case like this Lian-Li the video card reaches such temperatures... Anyway thanks for the patience and sorry for the possible not so perfect English.

Actual setup and airflow

Attached Image(s)

21 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/24 16:35:25 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum
    Temperatures are below the Max but your New Case also has less Fresh Air Flow than you older case.
    Did you clean up the GPU and so on before installing in the new case?
    How did you setup the 3 Fans below, as intake or as exhaust?
    From http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11-dynamic/

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/24 16:49:33

Attached Image(s)

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/24 16:38:34 (permalink)
    The Lian-Li cases are great but keep in mind that people don't really buy a 1080Ti and put it into a case that isn't a great case with good cooling. The LED on the side is a good indication of what is going on in the case as is seeing what other people are getting as they probably also have a great case and are using good cable management and fans as well.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/24 17:38:28 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Welcome to the Forum
    Temperatures are below the Max but your New Case also has less Fresh Air Flow than you older case.
    Did you clean up the GPU and so on before installing in the new case?
    How did you setup the 3 Fans below, as intake or as exhaust?
    From

Yes I cleaned the gpu and my actual fans setup is showed in the attached pic. The 3 bottom fans are for intake, the top 3 for exhaust and same for the 3 on the AIO.
    FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/24 17:42:30 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    The Lian-Li cases are great but keep in mind that people don't really buy a 1080Ti and put it into a case that isn't a great case with good cooling. The LED on the side is a good indication of what is going on in the case as is seeing what other people are getting as they probably also have a great case and are using good cable management and fans as well.

You can see my cable management in the attached pic, I don't think its messy. But maybe I have picked the wrong case for a build like this... :\
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/25 12:34:59 (permalink)
    Wouldn't the fan set-up as shown in your pic create negative pressure, depending on fan speeds? Normally you would want positive case pressure, I believe. I'm wondering what would happen with temps, if you reversed the front[middle] fans to intake for more fresh air?  I would be worth trying to see if it helps temps. Your English is fine.  
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/25 12:56:41 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Wouldn't the fan set-up as shown in your pic create negative pressure, depending on fan speeds? Normally you would want positive case pressure, I believe. I'm wondering what would happen with temps, if you reversed the front[middle] fans to intake for more fresh air?  I would be worth trying to see if it helps temps. Your English is fine.  

I don't think that would help here. He already has 3 intake fans directly below the GPU. I agree that typically a bit of positive pressure is desirable. But in this case, slightly negative pressure would seem to help with intake air flowing to the GPU. However, as we really don't know the OP's original temps, we're kinda guessing here.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/26 22:09:08 (permalink)
    I reversed the fans on the side of the case now the fans at the bottom are intake and also the side ones, I moved the radiator up which is obviously in hexaust but the temperatures always remain between 80 and 85 degrees.
    I begin to think that this case is not the best for this setup... Around the internet I found other people in the same situation, its probably the video card itself that blocks the airflow to the top. Still both here and in other forums I was told not to worry unless I exceed 90 degrees Celsius.
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/27 00:10:56 (permalink)
    Might be time to pull the cooler and check / replace the thermal paste, esp with the normal idle temps and hot under load

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/27 17:45:59 (permalink)
    My $59 Corsair SPEC-01 chassis can install any video card known, even the 3 fan beasts fit.

Reason my rig looks good, my AX860i powers it

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/27 19:36:04 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    Might be time to pull the cooler and check / replace the thermal paste, esp with the normal idle temps and hot under load

During the weekend I'm gonna do it, already ordered new thermal paste.
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/27 20:37:51 (permalink)
    I use MX-4 and it has never let me down in all the time I have used it.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    BadTag1
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/27 21:41:18 (permalink)
    the question is how old is the video card, and have you ever taken it apart and replaced the thermal paste.  
    I found that using other brands after a year or two the thermal paste would harden, due to cheap paste.
    Might want to disassemble the card and replace the paste use some Arctic cool or maybe some Torque thermal paste or
    something with some High Silver rate in it Or even go to a water cooled set up on the card..

Bad Tag 1
    FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/29 09:23:52 (permalink)
    After only changing the thermal paste the GPU runs 10°\15° cooler, so we can easily say that's was the problem. Now the max temperatures are around 72°\73° but most of the time, when the fans really kicks in, it runs at 68°\69°.  In any case thanks for the patience and support!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/29 10:25:44 (permalink)
      New TIM looks to have helped

Was the old TIM covering the entire GPU ?

Room temp where you run your PC ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/29 21:14:13 (permalink)
    FrankCastle1911
    After only changing the thermal paste the GPU runs 10°\15° cooler, so we can easily say that's was the problem. Now the max temperatures are around 72°\73° but most of the time, when the fans really kicks in, it runs at 68°\69°.  In any case thanks for the patience and support!

Nice!! Glad the collective group was able to get you running a little cooler

With that case you should explore either a hybrid setup or an small custom loop for the GPU. Putting that card on a full water block will do wonders for it

FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/30 11:29:54 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
      New TIM looks to have helped

Was the old TIM covering the entire GPU ?

Room temp where you run your PC ?

When I removed the front grid and exposed the GPU I noticed that the thermal paste was badly placed, it wasn't covering part of the GPU so I bet the cause for the high temps was that. As for the room temperature I don't know, I never measured it.
    FrankCastle1911
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/30 11:32:10 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    FrankCastle1911

With that case you should explore either a hybrid setup or an small custom loop for the GPU. Putting that card on a full water block will do wonders for it

Currently I lack the main things to get all this: time and money.
    JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/03/30 13:56:09 (permalink)
    FrankCastle1911
    GGTV-Jon
    FrankCastle1911

Currently I lack the main things to get all this: time and money.

One thing though. If you decide to do this, only the Barrow waterblock will fit on that card in the O11-Dynamic with the card mounted horizontally. You would need to mount the card vertically if you decide to use other blocks! :)

-Jacob B.
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/04/11 14:22:05 (permalink)
    veganfanatic

That's because it's really a Corsair-specific-packaged Seasonic Snow Silent 860 under the hood.

Literally, only change was the case, a few of the cable pinouts, and I think Corsair put their own fan on it (but stuck with a good ball-bearing design).
    That's why it's the ONLY power supply model I use from Corsair (though the AX750i I'd consider if I needed something a little smaller).

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/04/11 16:35:30 (permalink)
    veganfanatic
    I use MX-4 and it has never let me down in all the time I have used it.

MX-4 is still used here for years and still one of my favorites.  I think I might need to stock up on some soon.

FrankCastle1911

That's fantastic news and thought about you might need a TIM replacement since you did say it came from an older system.  TIM's usually need a replacement around 3-4 year mark before they really start drying out and performance takes a hit.

GGTV-Jon
    FrankCastle1911

I think this is a great idea.  Either go with EVGA's hybrid kit (If you can find any without being price gouged to death.) or NZXT's G12 GPU Bracket  (which is your only option I think), coupled with a 240mm AIO should work really well with this case since you have designated areas for the radiator placement.

Of course going custom liquid cooling in this case would be ideal but that would take lots of time, money and patience.  Here are some possibilities for reference.

Hybrid 

Custom H20

QuintLeo
    veganfanatic

That's because it's really a Corsair-specific-packaged Seasonic Snow Silent 860 under the hood.

Literally, only change was the case, a few of the cable pinouts, and I think Corsair put their own fan on it (but stuck with a good ball-bearing design).
    That's why it's the ONLY power supply model I use from Corsair (though the AX750i I'd consider if I needed something a little smaller).

AX860 =  Seasonic KM3 design.
    AX860i = Flextronics

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    licmarcos
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Temperatures too high? 2019/11/01 03:09:17 (permalink)
    Wouldn't the fan set-up as shown in your pic create negative pressure, depending on fan speeds? Normally you would want positive case pressure, I believe.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile