Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/03/20 00:36:54 (permalink)
https://www.pcgamer.com/hardocp-is-getting-mothballed-as-kyle-bennett-leaves-to-join-intel/

Kyle Bennett, owner of tech publication HardOCP that ruled the web for over two decades, has joined Intel in the position of Director of Enthusiast Engagement. Following his departure, HardOCP will "mothballed," in that it will not generate new content, its IP and existing content will be owned by Bennett. HardForum.com, on the other hand, will be sold to a company Bennett is familiar with, demonetized, and run by volunteers and funded by Patreons. At Intel, Bennett will work under Technology Leadership Marketing, and will lead the company's efforts to "reconnect with the top of the high-performance consumer pyramid which contains hardware enthusiasts, overclockers, gamers, and content creators."

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

17 Replies Related Threads

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    HardOCP is getting 'mothballed' as Kyle Bennett leaves to join Intel 2019/03/20 00:42:38 (permalink)
    Kyle Bennett is leaving HardOCP and joining Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement. The site he leaves behind will not be sold, nor will it continue to publish news or reviews. Instead, it will effectively shut down next month. Or in Kyle's words, it's getting "mothballed."
    "I have thought long and hard about this. I do not want to sell HardOCP or HardForum and see those properties turned into something that I would not be proud of. HardOCP will be 'mothballed'. It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content," Kyle stated in a farewell note.

https://www.pcgamer.com/hardocp-is-getting-mothballed-as-kyle-bennett-leaves-to-join-intel/ 

Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Effective April 1, 2019 I will be taking on the position of Director of Enthusiast Engagement for Intel’s Technology Leadership Marketing group. Intel wants to reconnect with the top of the high-performance consumer pyramid which contains hardware enthusiasts, overclockers, gamers, and content creators. This is the part of our community that has great influence through word of mouth and online engagement. I’ll be focusing on helping Intel get back in touch with this audience and re-establishing a voice and dialog on where the company is going with its future technologies. If you are reading this, you are very likely already part of this group.

So what happens to HardOCP? I have thought long and hard about this. I do not want to sell HardOCP or HardForum and see those properties turned into something that I would not be proud of. HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content. Of course, being the "Director of Enthusiast Engagement" and closing HardForum.com, one of the largest computer enthusiast forums on the Internet, does not seem to go hand-in-hand, but there are some conflict of interest issues that need to be tackled. HardForum.com will be sold to a company that I have done business with for years, one that I can trust to run it in the way you are familiar with. HardForum will be demonitised and all advertising and commission links removed. Simply put, HardForum will not make money in any way. It will be left up to its members to fund operations through Patreon. We already have Patreon funding in place, so this should not be an issue. Over the last year, I have gotten the HardForum to run lean and mean and I have no doubt that we will not see much change in its functioning. I will also still be an admin and member of our HardForum community. I will still be there interacting with you and the other members. Even though I am going to work for Intel, I am still a member of the enthusiast community and love being a part of it. It is not something I would ever give up.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/19/goodbye_hardocp_hello_intel/ 

???? is this for real or an early April fools joke - look at effective date

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/20 00:44:05 (permalink)
    another post here - lock that one or merge
    https://forums.evga.com/H...in-Intel-m2935949.aspx

anyways if it real that's his choice and maybe he's tired of the grind at Hardocp
    at least there he gave his honest review

at Intel his foot will be in the other shoe - giving us Intel BS 
    if you remember the intel BS that was pulled this last year - he will be in the PR division giving us the BS that he so namely was debunking last year
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/03/20 00:54:25

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/20 11:14:56 (permalink)
    I think it is an April fools joke. Starting April 1st is the first clue.
    Kyle really likes AMD hardware, not sure he would go to Intel.
    " Enthusiast Engagement for Intel’s Technology Leadership Marketing group" Is that really a thing?
    And if so is there really a position " Director of Enthusiast Engagement"  I doubt it.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/21 16:03:15 (permalink)
    Quite the April Fools joke there hah nice move Kyle Bennett XD

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 11:09:57 (permalink)
    bill1024
    I think it is an April fools joke. Starting April 1st is the first clue.
    Kyle really likes AMD hardware, not sure he would go to Intel.
    " Enthusiast Engagement for Intel’s Technology Leadership Marketing group" Is that really a thing?
    And if so is there really a position " Director of Enthusiast Engagement"  I doubt it.

He likes the people at AMD more than he likes AMD simply for the hardware. Over the last decade he's had good ties with AMD marketing and management. I've done a few AMD Texas GamExperience events as staff assisting AMD that were run in a partnership with [H]. Thing is, many of those people are now at Intel. So, this might not be April fools. Behind the scenes I'm seeing even people I know who left AMD in 2011 joining Intel right now. These people all worked together at AMD and are now at Intel working together again. It's looking more and more like the Intel discreet video card is designed by former AMD Radeon employees.

Might be April fools, but given connections he knew at AMD are now at Intel, this could be real. My bet is it's real.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/03/22 12:37:54
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 11:45:29 (permalink)

I agree on not taking this as a April Fool's joke (April 1) since it's way too early to pull off a prank unless of course its unprecedented. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 11:51:14 (permalink)
    Interesting take Brad, it certainly looks more likely with what you posted. I guess we will see April 2, huh?? Since [H] is being "mothballed", what happens to the folding team, and does that shutdown the marketplace they have?
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 12:10:57 (permalink)
    After doing some digging I'm 99% sure it's true. The people Intel are picking up, this is turning out to be more interesting than anything Nvidia or AMD is doing on the video card segment at the moment.

Screen cap I snipped from LinkedIn... 

post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/03/22 12:22:58
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 13:10:17 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Interesting take Brad, it certainly looks more likely with what you posted. I guess we will see April 2, huh?? Since [H] is being "mothballed", what happens to the folding team, and does that shutdown the marketplace they have?

Wonder if he'll roll some of [H] into an Intel enthusiast forums. With his new position, he'd certainly have the power to.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 13:17:20 (permalink)
    notfordman

Their team is staying where it is. The forums are staying where they are. The marketplace should stay the same.
    Supposedly he sold HARDOCP forums to a company that is going to run it only on forum members donations. Padron its called.
    No advertising or other money making ventures
    Why would a company buy something that they can not make money off of? I am sure [H] was worth a ton of money.
    No more reviews, no more ads. There is a staff of writers that work there, what happens to them?
    Just seems odd to me.

I still think it is an Aprils fool joke. 

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 13:46:41 (permalink)
    bill1024
    notfordman

Their team is staying where it is. The forums are staying where they are. The marketplace should stay the same.
    Supposedly he sold HARDOCP forums to a company that is going to run it only on forum members donations. Padron its called.
    No advertising or other money making ventures
    Why would a company buy something that they can not make money off of? I am sure [H] was worth a ton of money.
    No more reviews, no more ads. There is a staff of writers that work there, what happens to them?
    Just seems odd to me.

I still think it is an Aprils fool joke. 

It's probably more just prioritizing the mods saving the community than turning a profit on it. My guess is the ad revenue contracts were in Kyle's name dba [H]. All pure speculation on my part though. Given that you think the [H] name holds value, how much do you think the EVGA forums are worth in monopoly money? It's truly only worth what the community sees in it, hence seeking funding from the community to ensure it's continued existence makes sense. They could probably get more money out of the [H] community if done right than ad revenue ever brought.

Anyone wanna bet a 6-pack of beer on this being real? I'm game. I think many of us would agree that Kyle Bennett heading up a marketing arm of Intel is not a bad idea. He knows the industry and many of the key players.

The company I was product manager in before my current job used to use April 1 for annual product launches as a marketing hook, so don't be too sure this is all a joke. 
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/03/22 14:24:06
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/03/22 14:00:32 (permalink)
    I suspect like many site operators, revenue is down the crapper big time. pervasive adblocking has wiped out a lot of content perpetual

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/04/03 12:52:05 (permalink)
    Just a follow up on this for completeness sake.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18917
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/04/03 19:45:21 (permalink)

I wonder how huge the sign-on bonus was to get him to give up what he has been doing for decades (along with the revenue it generated). I'm guessing a LOT of cash.

Looks like Intel are really going all-in on this GPU market. Awesome - competition is great for us end-users.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/04/03 21:30:47 (permalink)
    I see it more of a double cross

here you have a critic wailing against the MAN or the big companies - being critical of the lies and the BS  on their products looking out for the little guys like us - saying he won't be bought off and tell us the truth
    seeing the critical articles he put out in the last year about Intel and the fake-or BS reviews from intel marketing

now he turn tails and take the big check (where before said i can't be bought or bribed) and is now working PR for the monster he spoke against 

tells you how much $$$ beats out morality

He sold out 

thats fine and dandy - he has a family to feed and take care of but own up and say ive been bought off - im gonna feed you BS and PR now

I still wish him well - but i won't be sold by the PR and Intel push out - even from him

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/04/03 21:34:48

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/04/03 22:35:44 (permalink)
    Thing is Intel can spend more money then anyone else on talent to get people talking. It’s a great way to fight AMD to just use some money to buy people who the industry is excited about while AMD isn’t as exciting. Of course I remember when the PC gaming industry focused on industry stars and then we saw them release some bad projects and it became about the studio not the person.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Kyle Bennett of HardOCP Joins Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement 2019/04/03 22:40:07 (permalink)
    AMD and Intel have a long standing cross licensing agreement.

Intel has nominally abandoned the desktop PC to AMD who now has increased market share rather significantly with the Ryzen processors which deliver good value.

Intel has focused more on server processors which have a higher average selling price. Shortages of desktop processors have only motivated more to buy AMD hardware.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile