EVGA

Evga Nu Audio review

Author
Mr.Louhi
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/19 02:36:22 (permalink)
Hi all. I purchased Evga Nu Audio 15.3.2019 and got it yesterday. 

This new card replaced my "temporary" audio card Creative Sound Blaster X AE-5 which I got about two months ago ( Which in turn replaced Asus Essence STX II due compatability issues with ryzen motherboards). 

After quickly replacing AE-5 with Nu, I enthusiastically tested it ingame (PUBG) and with spotify while working.

I'm a "regular user" and not pro in audio-scene,  but quality wise from my experience from onboard audio to all three soundcards which have been in my rigs from late 2018 till today, Evga Nu audia has absolutely beautiful sound! Quality wise it's hard to say, which has better sound STX II or Nu, but it's clear that changing from AE-5 to Nu was clear (huge actually)  improvement in audio quality. Nu produces more full and ... I say again, more beautiful sound with no extra noise in background.

We have a small group of friends whom play PUBG and I tend to record the games and edit the best and worst of- kind of videos. Only times there has been backround noise in recordings has been with AE-5 and onboard audio, with Nu and STX II it was just beautifully silent with no extra hisses, cracs or pops =) Even after "trying hard" to adjust AE-5, there was only minor improvements in recording quality. With Nu it was very simple, which was one reason to buy it. Simple and clear software that is. STX II had old and also simple user interface, AE-5 and the bloated experience with sound direct 2 (software was called.) was horrible experience.
For those with surround audio it might be better option, but I have stereo speakers and prefer using headphones while gaming, listening music or watching movies (I use Sennheiser HD700 headphones). For my use either STX II or Nu would do the trick for providing "perfect sound". With Nu it was very easy to just enjoy the music without changing profiles to this and that in order to get something done like with AE-5 software, but again I must say, that those familiar with AE-5 software may know better what they're doing and have different opinion about it.

I did read about bugs in current version of NU software and of course I had to test it. I changed (playback / conversion settings  ) audio to max and tested the sound with audio tracks with no compression. Absolutely beautiful.  I heard the music and some little details which I had never before even noticed (Even with STX II so points to Nu there).  I did listen to music while working and later changed audio quality to 24/48000 in order to play some PUBG with my friends...which resulted in no audio at all.
After few reboots I finally deleted drivers and reinstalled them which in this case got me my audio back. I suppose that at current time it's not recommended to change audio quality from default to anything else. Or if there's some solution, please do comment!

Anyway. In summary I would say, that audio quality is absolutely marvelous! My friends commented that even the microphone sound they heard was very clear and not distorted like before.

Improvements: Stable drivers / software.  Please DO keep it simple and make it work :)

Also: Less "smelly" packaging material. I don't remember opening packages in long time which have emitted that kind of odour...! The smell goes away as soon as you put the packaging material away, so that's not really that serious problem, but in case you want to provide total oooh and aah! experience for customers, that doesn't add up well with that.

My rig: Asus Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 2700x, 16bg mem, rtx 2080, 850w power.
Audio related gear: Sennheiser HD700 & Antlion mod mic 5. Creative Gigaworks t40 v2.

I think I might have covered most of what I was thinking, might add some more if something comes to mind after more use.

First impression has been very good, both with build quality and audio quality in mind.

Thank you!

Edited few typos and bragging about chicked dinners ;)

I suppose one can claim that in PUBG audio is important factor when aiming for chicken dinner. Since I got this card there's been more chicken dinners than before... usually I haven't got chicken dinners in row, but that changed with NU Audio. Movement sounds of other players are much more easily heard and easily pinpointed! And for some reason I never before paid any attention to the sound of the shells when they hit hard surface...

When there's good stuff, there's also some bad. For unknown reason my computer does not always boot at first try. Everything sounds normal when turning on the computer. Fans in case and power starts to hum, then the sound card clicks once or twice and then nothing. Then it tries to boot again and then it is booting ok.
post edited by Mr.Louhi - 2019/03/22 00:56:00

1 Reply Related Threads

Aponos
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Evga Nu Audio review 2019/03/21 06:55:02 (permalink)
    I got a Creative Soundblaster Zx and I'm already on the move to buy the Nu audio card.Seems a great piece of work!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile