New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster

Author
ProjectDuke
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/16 08:15:33 (permalink)
Hello all,

I built my first PC in 2015 so I am still new to this world. I currently have an EVGA Hybrid 1080 and an EVGA 1080 FTW in SLI using a HB bridge. I do not have 3dMark so I downloaded Novabench (it was recommended and free) and when doing its tests it told me my performance score was low. I have a i7 7700k (not currently OC'd.)
I feel like my GPU's aren't giving me the performance I should be seeing because I play at 1080p with low to medium settings in FPS games and I am not getting many more frames than if I just run the EVGA Hybrid 1080. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does anybody have any ideas on how to get better performance (without OC?)
I know the basics of SLI so I am concerned something is wrong with the firmware, hardware, HB bridge or something.

FYI : I have SLI selected in Nvidia control panel. My main card is in the fastest PCIe slot. It is a verified HB Bridge (MSI due to EVGA not producing the right sized HB Bridge for my spacing.) I play games that support SLI (BF4, BFV, R6 Siege and more.) I have a native 1440p monitor that is set to 1080p. I have used the notification bar in Nvidia control panel to verify SLI is being used in games. I am not seeing much FPS difference between low, medium and high graphics settings (maybe 10-25 FPS per level.)

Any and all help would be much appreciated. I have learned one thing already, even though it looks great, going for the 1080ti would have been a better choice.

8 Replies Related Threads

AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/16 08:48:29 (permalink)
    In my SLI testing, I have noticed the cards do not scale all that well. In Doom for example, I get the same FPS with 1 card as with 2. Simply because in SLI, each card is running at 40 to 55% usage and a single card is 99%. You can use an OSD like in afterburner and see what usage% each card is running. This has been going on for a few years now which is why the consensus was SLI wasn't worth the extra money anymore. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/16 09:00:28 (permalink)
    1080 & SLI of powerful cards is not the best --> CPU can bottleneck

Max your details

Test in a Window mode @ higher resolution

Set Nvidia Control Panel & Windows to Max performance

Nvidia Guide

(excerpts)

If we were to massively simplify the process of creating a frame in an 2-Way SLI system then measure how long each component took to complete its share of the work, it might look like one of the images below. Each individual frame is first prepared by the CPU and then handed off to a GPU to be rendered as illustrated.

As stated before, however, this isn't how things will look all of the time. It's entirely possible that the CPU may only be minimally slower than the GPUs or vice versa, and that is just enough for us to either begin observing lower GPU scaling or under-utilization in additional GPUs. While it's true that additional performance will still be seen under this condition, how much we actually benefit is what becomes the big question, so let's examine a case where a second graphics card is added into a system where the CPU only slightly outpaces the GPU in its tasks:

Introducing a second graphics card to our system has yielded a measurable performance gain of about +15%, however our GPUs have a lot of downtime that wasn't present before. More importantly, our CPU is now constantly busy preparing new frames, and with each GPU completing its frame long before the CPU can provide it with another, we're back to being CPU-limited. If we want to see more use out of our second graphics card, that means we have some tweaking to do.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/16 09:08:00 (permalink)
    Putting your display settings back to native resolution (1440) may help out by giving the GPU's more work to do.  Test it out and see what your results are.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/16 09:28:01 (permalink)
    bdary
    Putting your display settings back to native resolution (1440) may help out by giving the GPU's more work to do.  Test it out and see what your results are.

OP ---> "I have a native 1440p monitor that is set to 1080p."

Good Catch

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/17 03:19:48 (permalink)
    Also, make sure you have VSync OFF. Performance is definitely there. I use 2 1080 Ti's and love it. Just gotta know how to get them to work. While scaling isn't crazy, it's not terrible. I've seen worse, seen better.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    MadmanRB
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 339
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/17 18:14:37 (permalink)
    Keep in mind SLI and gaming dont typically get along unless the game supports it but even then it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot, while I dont personally have experience with SLI some digging reveals that SLI isnt exactly what its cracked up to be in terms of gaming.

Here is a video on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcluiYp4_s

Digital_Fuzion
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 630
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/18 02:14:55 (permalink)
    SLI is dead. Developer's are out! NVLINK is in. Long live SLI! LOL!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: New to SLI and I feel like my performance is lackluster 2019/03/18 11:38:38 (permalink)
    Digital_Fuzion
    SLI is dead. Developer's are out! NVLINK is in. Long live SLI! LOL!

SLI definitely isn't dead. I've got it working in three games that don't support it. BFV, Resident Evil (remake) & Metro Exodus. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile