Some questions/advice needed.

Author
wildcard011
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/14 13:33:35 (permalink)
Hi
Most of the reviews here talk about connecting the Nu Audio to headphones. I'm more interested in using this with stereo bookshelf speakers. Below is a description of my current setup and would like to know if adding this card will offer any advantage.

Current setup:
A pair of KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers connected to an old Denon receiver (AVR-1803) which has an optical connection to my PC onboard RealTech HD Audio. The setup is used purely for Gaming and Music. I don't watch movies here so not interested in 5.1+. I've setup my receiver to play Stereo only and since I'm sending the signal through optical stream the DAC in the receiver is currently in use.

Questions:
  1. If I were to add this card to my PC and continue to pass the signal through the optical connector on the Nu card will that make any difference in the sound quality. I'm assuming not much since the DAC being used would still be the Denon ?
  2. If I wanted to use the AKM DAC on the card then how would I go about connecting the Nu card to the receiver. I need an AMP to power the speakers so still need to keep the receiver. Would this mean connecting through the RCA jacks into an AUX input port on the receiver ? 
Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

5 Replies Related Threads

jll544
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Some questions/advice needed. 2019/03/14 14:47:01 (permalink)
    wildcard011
    If I were to add this card to my PC and continue to pass the signal through the optical connector on the Nu card will that make any difference in the sound quality. I'm assuming not much since the DAC being used would still be the Denon ?

Correct, no difference in SQ if you use the optical connection.

wildcard011
    If I wanted to use the AKM DAC on the card then how would I go about connecting the Nu card to the receiver. I need an AMP to power the speakers so still need to keep the receiver. Would this mean connecting through the RCA jacks into an AUX input port on the receiver ? 

Yes, you would connect the RCA outputs from the NU to one of the receiver's inputs. Probably best to set the receiver to DIRECT mode to minimize any processing.
    wildcard011
    Re: Some questions/advice needed. 2019/03/14 17:04:35 (permalink)
    Ok.. Thanks for confirming. I bit the bullet and ordered it. Got the EVGA Elite Membership price.
    Hopefully it will be a noticeable improvement over my current setup.
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Some questions/advice needed. 2019/03/14 23:00:09 (permalink)
    This probably should have been posted in the main Audio section since you were asking questions and not an actual review -

But as to your questions, as jll544 stated yes the TOSLink will just pass the signal to your 1803's DAC
    If you used the line out on the NU you could use any of the 2 channel inputs for CD, DVD, TV, VCR ect. (I downloaded the PDF for your Denon) and use the signal processor on the NU card

I have my headphones and mic plugged into my NU and the TOSLink on my NU out to my Denon AVR-1905 with a pair of bookshelf speakers sitting on my desk.
    Denon is set to payback Direct (no affects). When Dolby comes available on the NU the receiver will be receiving that

wildcard011
    Re: Some questions/advice needed. 2019/03/15 14:31:25 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    This probably should have been posted in the main Audio section since you were asking questions and not an actual review -

But as to your questions, as jll544 stated yes the TOSLink will just pass the signal to your 1803's DAC
    If you used the line out on the NU you could use any of the 2 channel inputs for CD, DVD, TV, VCR ect. (I downloaded the PDF for your Denon) and use the signal processor on the NU card

I have my headphones and mic plugged into my NU and the TOSLink on my NU out to my Denon AVR-1905 with a pair of bookshelf speakers sitting on my desk.
    Denon is set to payback Direct (no affects). When Dolby comes available on the NU the receiver will be receiving that

Yeah..should not have posted here..maybe admins can move it.

So have you done any A/B testing with your speakers running on TOSlink and RCA ? Curious to know if the sound plays better off the NU or the Denon.
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Some questions/advice needed. 2019/03/15 19:07:53 (permalink)
    wildcard011
    GGTV-Jon

Yeah..should not have posted here..maybe admins can move it.

So have you done any A/B testing with your speakers running on TOSlink and RCA ? Curious to know if the sound plays better off the NU or the Denon.

I have not. I will have to dig up cables long enough to hook up the RCA jacks. Might be a project for this weekend

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile