Author
csampson9266
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/13 18:43:08 (permalink)
I'm looking to upgrade from my current rig:

EVGA P55 SLI
Xeon X3470 oc@ 4.03ghz (Corsair H75 aio)
EVGA 1050TI
16gb Ballistix Sport 1600mhz (4x4gb)
And a very worn out HDD.

I've recently been doing a lot of video editing and got my old rig dusted off and up and running. It was in a half destroyed case, so I popped it into a cheap DeepCool case from Amazon, threw in 4 noctua NFP-12 fans and the H75 aio to get some kind of cooling going and was able to overclock to 4.03ghz stable.

It works much better than before, but I still get hung up and freeze frames while heavy video editing. I'm just about maxed out thermally, even if I could keep higher stability. I'm hitting 80c while testing and tapping 60c while editing.

I plan to upgrade to SSD on this rig anyways, but I need something newer. This is a work station and is being used for a new work field and may not pan out in the end. So, I'm looking to avoid investing in the latest and greatest or something expensive.

Software I'm running:
Davinci Resolve
Lightworks
GIMP
Etc...

Is there anything from old tech out there that's worth while? I'm looking into an X58 build with a X5690 processor and an H115i aio cooler. I recently read a post here regarding using affinity processes to dedicate software to specific cores and keep the cache intact. I wasn't sure if that would be worth while to try on an x3470 or not, but the x5690 with 6 cores should be no problem.

I can find an x5690 for around $100 and an EVGA X58 FTW3 for 150 or so all on ebay. I figure paired with a 1060ti or GTX 980ti hybrid (found one for 160 shipped) would be a good bump up.

I've been out of this game since the lga1155 sockets came out though and I'm a little rusty.

Looking for help or suggestions on upgrading my current rig or building a new one. My budget isn't set, just looking to avoid high investment into a venture area for me.

What do you guys think?

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile