My graphics card is constantly whirring up and slowing down even while idle

Author
jamesa0093
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/07 18:15:24 (permalink)
I have a GTX 760, AMD Ryzen 5 1500x Quad and 8gb DDR4 RAM

Had this computer for over a year now and the whole time the graphics card has been behaved this way. I've tried looking this up and haven't came across much about this problem other than other brands of graphics cards and what looks like different problems. Didn't think to post on the forums here

What's happening is as soon as the graphics card fan starts after booting the PC, it will quickly whirr up to full speed for around 10 seconds before slowing down to nothing for maybe 15 seconds. Then it will repeat this over and over. This behaviour is more or less the same when idle vs actually playing games so I have got to the point where its less annoying to run it at 90% speed all the time; when i do this the fan will not slow down to nothing but stay at audibly the same speed. 

I'm using afterburner and have played with the settings, reinstalled and tried everything within my knowledge to fix this.

If anyone has had a similar experience or can help me with this, I'd appreciate any advice

Thanks very much

James

3 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: My graphics card is constantly whirring up and slowing down even while idle 2019/03/07 19:30:41 (permalink)
    What is the video card's core temperature?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My graphics card is constantly whirring up and slowing down even while idle 2019/03/07 20:07:42 (permalink)
    You say that your using AB

adjust Hysteresis to a value of say 5  (value of 0 is the default)

This is the Value in C that the Temp must go below before the fan would slow

example: 
    fan @30% & GPU @40C
    fan @60% & GPU @ 60C

if Hysteresis is set to Zero & temp is bouncing between 59 C & 61 C --> the fan would hunt between 30% & 60% constantly

temp goes up to 60C, then fan increases, temp drops below 60C, fan slows ...... (repeat)

if Hysteresis is set to 5

temp goes up to 60C, then fan increases, temp drops below 55C, fan slows ...... temp stays at say 58C - fan stays at fixed RPM

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jamesa0093
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: My graphics card is constantly whirring up and slowing down even while idle 2019/03/11 18:54:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for quick replies ty_ger07 and Cool GTX

User ty_ger07, If the image uploaded correctly you should see the temp max while gaming was 75c and when idle is around 30c (now 24c as I type this)

User Cool GTX, there seem to be no visible changes to this behaviour when following your advice with adjusting Hysteresis value. 
    I asked my friend who gave me the graphics card about the problem and he said to try removing and putting the graphics card back in again. I'm going to try it 

Thanks

James

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile