EVGA

Helpful ReplyNew to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions

Author
rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 140
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/03/05 20:08:09 (permalink)

TL;DR, I'd love to see some ICX temps under load for 2080 TI Hydro Copper cards of all flavors.

Despite my best efforts with DuckDuckGo and the Goog I couldn't really find an answer to some questions I have that I have a feeling the grizzled vets can help with if not outright answer.  Some background goes like this:  My 2080 Ti FTW3 started off as a 3 fan whose thermals save for memory was good but noise was a smidge more than what I wanted.  Eventually I decided to order up the EVGA hybrid cooling kit whose thermal performance for required/desired fan noise was quite good but I eventually got sick of listening to the minifridge its AIO pump has turned my computer into, sonically speaking.  I have a feeling that EVGA set a particularly high flow speed for maximum compatibility and success in configurations with even terrible airflow so I don't really hold a grudge over it but I have decided to move on. I have been jockeying PCs for a couple of decades but this will be my first foray into the world of an open loop cooling system and not really sure what to expect.  I have configured out a loop that maximizes the real estate I have available in my current case.  I run folding @ home on CPU and GPU 24x7 when I am not gaming or using the computer for something computationally demanding.I will be using 2 Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans as my intake at the bottom of the case once I get the time to cut out the holes and drill out the mounts for them and  assemble & leak test the loop.  Along with the 2080 Ti FTW3, I will be cooling my 2700x in this loop which contains the following parts:

(1)360mm x 28mm EK Coolstream radiator @ front exhausting
(1)240mm x 28mm EK Coolstream radiator @ top exhausting
(1)120mm x 60mm EK Coolstream radiator @ rear exhausting
Complete set of Noctua NF-A12x25 fans for rads

EK D5 pump/reservoir combination.

On paper to me this loop with the HC block and the Ryzen in the mix will at least match my current thermals at a reduced noise level but I have no experience with liquid cooling to know for sure and would love your thoughts to this end.  I am currently using a 280mm x 28mm radiator based Corsair H115i Plat. to cool the CPU and the hybrid kit uses a 120mm x 28mm radiator with (3)120mm NF-A12x25 Fans at the front running @1200 rpm serving as the intake.  The 120mm rad fan is @1500rpm, the AIO rad fans are at 1k rpm manually set. The system has been crunching data for about a full day and the CPU is on w/u from project 13812, the GPU is doing a w/u from project 11718 when the following images were captured.

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited for silly cut and paste errors
post edited by rchiwawa - 2019/03/05 21:33:33

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/06 20:01:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:27
What case are you using ?

Using all those radiators as exhaust - looks like you'll have negative pressure issue - as it does not cool as well as positive pressure

Thicker radiators are better if they fit & you have not bought rads yet

Links to Most anything you need to know:  Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

Do you Fold under your Forums name ?

CPU Folding is known to be energy intensive & PPD much less than GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 03:58:47 (permalink)
Cool GTX
What case are you using ?

For now, a corsair Carbide Air 540 since I have it on hand.  If I am not satisfied with the noise and temperatures I have my sights set on the Phanteks Enthoo Primo as the next case.  I would love to have a place to display my two old windowed Raptor X drives.

Cool GTX
Using all those radiators as exhaust - looks like you'll have negative pressure issue - as it does not cool as well as positive pressure

Yep.  And I am pretty sure my desire to run a max of 1,100 rpm or so on any one fan isn't going to help things out

Cool GTX
Thicker radiators are better if they fit & you have not bought rads yet

I selected my rads because they will fit in the current case with minimal modifications required.  Using the EKWB loop configurator to help factor in  the fan speeds I am looking to run, I came to the conclusion that attempting to use what could be installed in my current case was worth a shot for the fun-factor and could well be close enough to achieve the desired result of maximum clocks, minimal to "no" noise.

I will source a much thicker suite of rads where possible when I move over the the Enthoo Primo.  In the Primo I am thinking a 480mm x 60mm top radiator, the current 120mm x 60mm at the back, and 240mm x 28mm for the front side position with the (4)120mm fans on the bottom, (2)140mm fans for intake up front.

How does one appropriately "mothball" a previously used rad?

Cool GTX
Do you Fold under your Forums name ?

I have been folding for 15 years under my 90ies screen name with a different team

Cool GTX
CPU Folding is known to be energy intensive & PPD much less than GPU

Takes some of the sport out of tuning CPU's doesn't it? :)

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 05:23:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:23
To "mothball" your old radiators; just flush them with distilled water & let them dry completely

I would suggest you put a drain in the lowest part of your loop, it makes maintenance much easier

Have fun building your first custom loop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 08:10:50 (permalink)
About that drain I picked up a two-block and ball valve to that end. I assumed that I can add a decently long enough tube to a fitting at the drain, run it way below the case, open up the reservoir fill port and let siphoning do the work. Am I on the right track there? Thank for the input.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 08:28:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:20
rchiwawa
About that drain I picked up a two-block and ball valve to that end. I assumed that I can add a decently long enough tube to a fitting at the drain, run it way below the case, open up the reservoir fill port and let siphoning do the work. Am I on the right track there? Thank for the input.

Yes

Some radiators have extra ports or you can use a "T", "X" or "Y" block installed in your loop with enough ports to install a drain

I recommend a cap on the line after the ball valve

Some people use those quick disconnect fittings - they are rather large & expensive though

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 08:39:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:18
I would Drop the Memory to 800 from 1050 when Folding.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 17:05:46 (permalink)
Cool GTX

Some radiators have extra ports or you can use a "T", "X" or "Y" block installed in your loop with enough ports to install a drain

Some people use those quick disconnect fittings - they are rather large & expensive though

Didn't even think of a cap for the end of the ball valve assembly, thanks!  When I do flushes with distilled water, am I ok to let it dry out for a day uncapped after I swab it out?  Can/should I put a drop or two of mixed coolant in there for the biocide or can I cap it off ok wet with distilled water when it comes time to fill?

Draining and disassembling a loop seems pretty straightforward to me when it comes time so yeah, even for free I don't think I'd ever bother with quick disconnects.  Maybe if I was running a Youtube channel... I decided to go soft tubing for a number of reasons despite being comfortable and familiar with metal tube fabrication and forming and several metals.  I want to see my coolant in the lines and being able to easily, cheaply disassemble any part of my loop for upgrade-time or new builds so it seemed the way to go. 

I got my hands on some PETG and I like the way it "fails", how it bends real nice and easy, and isn't too fussy when I used my friend's reaming tool to set the inner/outer edges.  The tubing chattered a little bit but the chamfer quickly smoothed out to nice ruled surfaces with a quick combo of jeweler's file and 320 emery cloth.  I am going to stick it in a south facing window and see what happens to it through the spring and summer.  I might change my mind when 7nm Ryzen drops and it's CPU upgrade time but I can't really come up with a reason for quick disconnects when I can quick-n-easy cut out a section of EK Duraclear and replace it, or if end up with PETG undo my fittings, replace a seal ('cause I'm already there and again, cheap enough) and be on my way.

Seriously, thanks again for that cap suggestion.  You helped out in a very appreciated way.

bcavnaugh
I would Drop the Memory to 800 from 1050 when Folding.

I have read a number of your posts beyond our common threads and your opinion carries some weight with me.  Is this a longevity related suggestion? 

Knock on wood, I am pretty convinced the vocal multi-RMAers are just pushing their hardware beyond sensible.  On air, my 2080 Ti FTW3 would run +1100  in any game no problem until the memory temps crept up to the high 70ies and it began visibly disco light artifacting.  Time Spy Ultra would complete test #2 w/o artifacts above +1075 so I figured there or south was my true stable memory offset.  More testing led me +800 for 24x7 reliability with acceptable temps for any load (in my eyes < 80° C given then behavior at +1100) using the triple fan FTW3 heatpipe assembly. 

When I moved to the hybrid it seemed that +1050 was the place to be with +1075 being strongly suspected of being the actual limit.  I backed it off a little owing to common sense and iirc seeing you suggest as much else where in a thread I lurked.  I know it's not getting me any better F @ H performance with all that 11% ± 4% reported memory controller load while folding. However, since every little bit counts in XCOM2 so long as it doesn't crash games, fail work units, or shorten the life I am content with letting it ride as my general setting.  It has been running like this since the end of January nary a problem in extended gaming sessions or otherwise 24x7 folding.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 17:21:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:12
Always store them dry - "stuff" grows in hours  (I leave the open ports pointed down, after items are dry)

Best to flush parts with distilled water just before assembly - you can't be too clean

Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

Make sure you read links 8-A, 8-B & 10

rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 18:44:30 (permalink)
Just got done with the specified.  8-A and 8-B are particularly nice write ups.  I hadn't come across those while getting things figured out mainly because the EK fluids were what I planned to run initially from the get go.  Concerning 10 I had an EK rep hit me up on a reddit post and they suggested hot water and the "rad dance" several times and it was what I am planning to do. Even after reading those posts I am not sure about bothering with vinegar but I have at least a week before I will have enough time to get started installing now that I have all parts in hand and in that time I suspect I will have read through all of your links.  You know I'll be back if I still am on the fence here.

As far as coolant, I grabbed 3L of premix EK CryoFuel while shopping.  It seemed like a safe and lazy bet.  I like the potential visibility of the opaque stuff but not interested in disassembling my blocks any more than I have to for the service life of this 2080Ti and Ryzen 3xxx.  I can only see potential problems with them.  OE coolant or not.

When I get the case modded and loop validated I'll post some results.  Probably will come up with another question or two between now and then...
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 18:55:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:06
"I have read a number of your posts beyond our common threads and your opinion carries some weight with me.  Is this a longevity related suggestion?"
Thank you, 
With Folding and Crunching I beleaive it more for longevity for the most part yes and leaving them to run on their own like over the weekend or weeks vacation but.
I started to have Folding WU Die on me for no know reason and dropped mine from 1000 to 800 and I have not had a WU fail on me since.
I have only started to OC the Memory for a year now and never did OC the memory before the Only the GPU but the Guy Above you (Post) talked me into it sometime last year
Projects 14124-14131,14156,14157 the last few weeks have been Killers All-Around and some of the longest running WU I have seen since the BigAdv Days, well almost.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/07 19:20:29

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 19:38:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rchiwawa 2019/03/07 20:12:09
Vinegar would only be a Last resort for a messed-up radiator - there are risks.

Go with Clear for your Fluid. 

The Opaque stuff has issues & needs Much more maintenance - (Great for display / Not for play)

see this post:  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2929634

rchiwawa
Superclocked Member
Re: New to open loop; 2080 TI FTW3 Hydro Copper ICX temps and loop questions 2019/03/07 20:30:32 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
With Folding and Crunching I beleaive it more for longevity for the most part yes and leaving them to run on their own like over the weekend or weeks vacation but.
I started to have Folding WU Die on me for no know reason and dropped mine from 1000 to 800 and I have not had a WU fail on me since.
I have only started to OC the Memory for a year now and never did OC the memory before the Only the GPU but the Guy Above you (Post) talked me into it sometime last year
Projects 14124-14131,14156,14157 the last few weeks have been Killers All-Around and some of the longest running WU I have seen since the BigAdv Days, well almost.

I have noticed those WUs eating up a lot of time.  I think the only game I have noticed any sort of conisstent boon is the unoptimized GPU power hog that is Xcom 2 and since I have rarely seen the GPU memory controller seriously taxed, I'll dial it back a bit to avoid that "bitter experience".  Ahhh bigadv (never qualified to run those iirc), advmethods, and setting flags for my launch shortcut... that takes me back :) I lost few HD4870's in the early days of GPU compute on fah and it's what led me to EVGA after I decided to quit pestering Sapphire every 6 months.  I put some points down on those GTX 580s.

Cool GTX
Vinegar would only be a Last resort for a messed-up radiator - there are risks.

Go with Clear for your Fluid. 

The Opaque stuff has issues & needs Much more maintenance - (Great for display / Not for play)

see this post:  https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2929634

Again my thanks for taking the time and filling in those last blanks, especially your 2016 post-o-threads/all in one ground up trainer and that plug... the more i think of that the sillier it seems :D Vinegar seemed like a bit overkill for factory fresh rads of reputable manufacture.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile