EVGA

Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC?

Author
gamernut78
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 383
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/04 07:26:19 (permalink)
I turned off the surge protector by accident and the PC shut down before I could shut down the PSU power button. I was an idiot and sleepy head. First time I ever made a mistake and would like to determined if this can hurt my PC hardware at all? Nothing seems to be broke so far. I am picky and almost wanna rebuild again just to play it safe. Can someone tell me if this is gonna be alright?

Otherwise I will have to go ahead and rebuild.

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
My Rewards Program Code: 6JD2JTSGVP

21 Replies Related Threads

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 07:54:41 (permalink)
    It probably won't hurt your hardware, but can corrupt the Operating system if there is a sudden shut off.  rebuild what?

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 07:56:16 (permalink)
    Your hardware should not suffer

Your OS ...... it likes to be properly shut down

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 08:47:14 (permalink)
    Okay so it's not hardware related? Here  is my score:

This is the recent benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15199611

This is my previous benchmark score: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14960945

So what does this mean? Operating System error or Hardware error?

I ran a dskcheck and no error is shown and SFC/Scannow did show some Windows errors but it was fixed. I can't seem to run UFO mode anymore. I assumed maybe my hardware was ruined.

So I take it I'd have to reinstall the Operating System again then? For a second I thought I would have to buy the whole thing again and rebuild. I just am VERY picky how I can take care of my system. I worked insanely hard on this and I have issues with life and this desktop is the only way I can have a easy life since I hardly can afford anything.
    post edited by gamernut78 - 2019/03/04 08:59:27

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 08:54:51 (permalink)
    your links are identical.   

A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 08:59:52 (permalink)
    Fixed. Check previous link above I edited the post. Thanks.  Just in case here https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14960945

So what do you think? Hardware or just corrupted OS?
    post edited by gamernut78 - 2019/03/04 09:07:09

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 09:11:05 (permalink)
    both say your PC are above expectations.  small variances like that could be due to what is running in the background when the PC has it's benchmark.   I'd also say you need to download a dedicated PC benchmark like PC mark.

if your system runs, OS has no errors, shuts down and starts just fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.   I'm willing to bet you didn't hurt your hardware.   You can also go into msconfig and do a dianostic boot to remove programs that might be taxing your system while you run your benchmark.   But I don't see anything wrong with your system. 

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 09:13:05 (permalink)
    Did you not see the background process percentage on the far right side of the website? It said 0%.

I'll look into it. I hope nothing is an issue.

I dunno what happened but I will post back if I ever encounter some issues.

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 09:21:19 (permalink)
    it's not accurate.  No CPU has 0% background processes.   The CPU is doing thousands of calculations when the OS is running.    Get a real benchmark 

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 10:03:14 (permalink)
    gamernut78
    I turned off the surge protector by accident and the PC shut down before I could shut down the PSU power button.

Do you normally shut off your computer using the PSU switch (on the PSU at the back of the computer) or do you mean the power button on the front of the computer?  If you're reaching around and flicking the PSU off or are holding the front power button till it shuts off without going through the shutdown procedure, it's the same thing as unplugging it or shutting the surge protector off.  Just for clarification.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 10:34:04 (permalink)
    I turned off the surge protector before I could turn off the power supply button to off. I had mistaken and not thought of turning the power supply off FIRST before that. That's what I did.

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 10:37:44 (permalink)
    Ah, so the computer was shut down already, you just didn't have the PSU switched off at the back of the tower?  I can't see how that would harm anything.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 10:38:42 (permalink)
    I did a CHKDSK and nothing came up and did mdsched too and there was hardware status error detected so I contacted Windows 10 support to see if they can restore some of my files and assumed maybe it was just my ram and he did tons of command prompts to fix the issue and here is the chat transcript. Tell me what you think guys

I'm Microsoft's Virtual Agent. I'd love to help you. You can also ask to talk to a person at any time. Please briefly describe your issue below.

Memory error issue

Which one did you mean?

Protect your device against chip-related security flaws
    Error codes 12002-4, 12007-4, or 12152-4 when installing Office for Windows.
    Error code 30169-22 when installing Office for Windows
    None of the above

Talk to agent

OK. You can connect to a person below.

Select your product

WindowsOfficeXboxOffice for Mac, iOS, or AndroidSkypeOneDriveMicrosoft StoreExcelPowerPointWordOutlookOneNoteMobile DevicesOutlook.comSurfaceEdgeInternet ExplorerHoloLensMicrosoft RewardsVisual StudioAzureBandMSNDynamicsExchange serverHealthVaultMSDN SubscriptionsBusiness, IT & developerMouse, keyboardVisioSharePoint serverSQL ServerMinecraft Education EditionNext

Select your issue

Activation & product keySetting upAccounts & BillingPassword recoveryInternet Explorer or EdgeNetwork & connectivityDevices and driversTechnical supportProtecting my PCPC gaming & Xbox appBuying & licensingNext

Talk to a personAlejandra Calero has joined the chat
    Microsoft Answer Tech

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. I am Alejandra Calero. How can I help you today?

Please be aware that if you switch apps or change focus to another window while working with us, you may get disconnected from your chat session. To ensure the best support experience, please stay active in this chat window.

I might have a slight Windows corruption but it seems to be working in order as it should be

Thing is I made an accident by shutting off my surge protector and not shutting off my power supply button before shutting down the PC

So I rebooted the PC and I ran a benchmark to make sure nothing is damaged

I see. Well, I am really glad to know that you really take care of your PC.

I wish everybody is as caring as you are.

In order to check if there is corruption on your system we need to run a couple of scans on the computer, Derek.

And apparently both of my SSD and SSHD scores were bad so I ran a memory diagnostics and the results were mentioned that I have hardware problems detected. So I opened Event Viewer and it shows errors and I am not sure where to proceed next. I can assume I would need to shut down and test each ram to see if both ram works well or what? Do I need to RMA my Ram? I hope my motherboard is fine which I am sure it is

Ok_

Are you the Administrator of the PC?

I even ran a sfc/scan earlier and it said there was an windows corruption but it was repaired before I did a memory diagnostics and yes I am the administrator

Okay. Thank you.

Did you run the CHKDSK command in order to check the status of your hard drives?

yes they are both fine

One thing

Well, that is good to know.

I typed in CHKDSK and it said Warning! F/Parameter not specified then it ran CHKDSK in read only mode but it checked and said the files are fine

And are you receiving any blue screens? Or any error after this happened?

Is that something I should be worried what it said in the first part?

nope

No blue screens at all

Okay. That's good.

No, that is to let you know that the scan will not affect (change or fix) any error found on the PC.

It will just look for errors and point them.

Now, the Errors that you have seen in the Event Viewer are, at some point, normal, sometimes when a process is not being used it stops and creates one of those errors.

The good thing is that you ran the sfc scan as well, and any file corrupted was fixed as well.

If you want to reassure that all system files are fine we can run a DISM scan.

ok

Open Command Prompt with Administrator privileges.

And type the following command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

You can Copy and Paste it.

ok

By way, Derek, here is your case number **********

Okay

Also, my rejoin link

It will help you to return this chat session in case the chat gets disconnected for any reason, you just need to copy and paste the link on a new browser tab. Kindly save it in a word document or notepad.

Please, don't click it while in the interaction or the chat might get disconnected.

It says No component store corruption detected the operation completed successfully

ok np

So what does this mean?

That means that your system is okay.
    Let's run another command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Okay it said No Component store corruption detected The operation completed successfully

Awesome.

So I can assume that my SSD and SSHD is just dandy and fine

And the last one:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

okay

The restore operation completed successfully The operation completed successfully.

So what does this one do?

you restored my health to my pc? lol

Great. If there is any threat on the PC it should restore the health of it.

ok

LOL sounds really obvious when you put it like that.

yea

So is there another procedure?

Does this mean my RAM is corrupted a bit or something? Or is it my motherboard?

I am sure my processor is fine otherwise I wouldn't be talking to ya right now though. All I know there is a memory issue due to checking it by using the memory diagnostic

Unless this is something else.

Perhaps I need to test each ram stick and find out or what? I'll just wait til you figure out what else is up

I can easily go to best buy and replace a new ram lol

I see.

Yea I ran a mdsched the time it happened to see if it was the memory.

So I am not sure what specifically I should do next to determined if I really need to change my ram

Derek, by any chance do you have any Microsoft Store close to you?

Would reseating it make a difference which I doubt because it was a power down due to the surge protector and I should had shut it down via from the power supply button. I doubt my PSU is in bad shape at all cuz most of the time I know Power Supply has a fail safe protection I'm not so sure but it has a 10 year warranty and it's a GOLD version so I can assume it could work fine

A Microsoft store? Eh? What you mean?

I do have a Microsoft Store APP though lol

You mean like a PC shop?

Well there is one

not here but in Overland Park 30 mins from here

Yes, A Microsoft Store, like a little shop.

What about it?

You know I am using a desktop? Not a laptop?

In case you were thinking I was using a Microsoft Laptop

it's a custom built desktop

Well, the reason I am asking you that is because they can run a Diagnostic as well.
    But, based on that you are telling me and all the scans you've ran and we ran together

We can make sure that your computer is behaving just fine.

but then why is there a memory diagnostic error on event viewer then?

If there is any harmful in your PC first symptom is to get slow performance, to get unresponsive programs, to get blue screens...

It said hardware error status detected during the test

I see

That is normal, as I mentioned to you before.

Well I ran benchmarks and the scores were lower for some odd reason

Okay well since we ran these commands I could probably run another benchmark and see how things run now

if nothing has changed then something has happened

When some processes are not being used  they did not start correctly they stop.

Like maybe something was degraded or what? this isn't even old

I see

That is actually not to damage the computer, not to damage any physical part of the PC.

Do you think Reformatting would not make a difference but it shouldn't be a Windows issue

Well I shut off the surge protector and I didn't shut off my power supply button to off like I was supposed to

So I assumed I did a hard shut down which can corrupt something

So I was concerned why my PC benchmark score was horrible on the SSD and SSHD

My processor and ram is fine and gpu

Windows have a repair system when this kind of things happen.

I even caught image tearing in some of my games which has never happened

I see

Windows have a repair system?

Okay o well

I know and understand how concerning this might be for you.

So this isn't ram related? It was a file corruption?

I would do it as well, and I know how much you take care of your PC and that's great.

Specially when is a custom build PC, which is really great.

No, it is not.

And as you can see all the corruption scans are doing just fine as well.

If you want, we an run the diagnostic tool again and tell me the exact error you receive.

ok

So this just happened. I am about to find out if my desktop is okay or not.

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 11:19:35 (permalink)
    I switched off the surge protector. You're supposed to turn off the power supply before turning off the surge protector. I did a hard power cut by accident turning the surge protector off FIRST before turning off the power supply. I ran a memory diagnostic and it turns out that I have hardware problems detected. I have no idea what is the real issue here.

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 11:28:41 (permalink)
    I think it's ram issue. I may have to replace my ram but I am going to do another memory test and see if the ram cache is ruined or something? Should I boot the ram each stick and do a test on each stick to see if either work? Would that be efficient to see which ram is a faulty?

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 11:58:45 (permalink)
    https://www.memtest86.com/

run that with both.  if it errors, run individually 

gamernut78
    iCX Member
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 16:13:31 (permalink)
    I ran both with Memory test using Windows 10 method instead. I ran both ram and they said hardware issue detected
    So I shut down and tested each ram in the same slot and they both work fine? I was baffled. So I ran a CHDKS and SFC/SCANNOW and they work fine but that was during both rams were in the motherboard.
    So I have no idea what to do. I may have to contact ASUS and get to the bottom of this. Nothing is wrong so I am confused. I did not run the Memtest86. That's just an alternative heavy test and perhaps I should try that method. I am gonna test this again to see if anything is wrong. I doubt something is. I even posted a note on my wall to remind myself to NEVER shut down the surge protector before shutting down the power supply button again ever! UGH! This is a brand new system and I have no time to rebuild let alone spend money on it again. I worked my butt off so hardcore on this because I have a medical condition that prevents me from diverting attention on fixing this but it worked out well in the end. I am not going to let this discourage me and things can easily be replaced. I am nearly temped to just start all over and rebuild and not miss a beat. I am a picky guy and I can't stand seeing my components destroyed because I had tons of PC problems in the past and I had an old Ivy bridge that lasted for 7 years and this ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 GAMING -E is the best I own so far and never had problems til now! UGH! Thanks for helping guys!

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 16:46:39 (permalink)
    Memtest is a time tested way to check memory.   Make sure either xmp profile is set in the bios or the timings are entered manually.   As well as voltage on the RAM>     

Really if your memory is not right, you will get blue screens and freezes in the operating system.    In the past, I created a CD rom version of memtest and booted right into the program.  I think that's the best way since you are not using and OS while testing the ram.    Also.   You don't need to shut down a surge protector.  Just turn off your PC.  You should also never need to toggle the power switch on your power supply unless you are working with the electronics.  I only do that myself If I am installing hardware and want to make sure I dont inadvertently hit the motherboard with something and create a short.  You should always leave on the surge protector.    

So you said you have no idea what to do.  I'm telling you what to do.   try memtest.    We don't know about all these other memtesting programs you are using. Some of these programs are just telling you things to get you to buy programs that are supposed to fix a problem that really doesn't exhist.   That's how they make their money.  Telling you things are wrong when it isn't.      But what is time tested is memtest.    I don't think you did any hardware damage by shutting off the surge protector switch.  I've done it many many many times.   Surge protectors protect against voltage spikes into the system.  By flipping the switch on one, you do the same thing as flipping the switch on your power supply. 

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 17:15:55 (permalink)
    I would be a bit surprised if it damaged anything if it was a one time event that it happened. A lot of people have power outages and computers don't die often as a result of it. That said it's good to invest in a battery backup. If you did have a problem I would think it would be mostly in the PSU. To the computer hardware itself getting power and not getting power happens all the time as it processes it as a 1 or a 0.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 19:56:44 (permalink)
    You are turning off your system by clicking the windows icon on the lower left corner on the task bar, and then the on/off power icon
    before you shut off the switch on the power supply right? 
    I mean the computer is off before you turn off the PSU switch? Every time you shut down?

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/04 20:01:19 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I would be a bit surprised if it damaged anything if it was a one time event that it happened. A lot of people have power outages and computers don't die often as a result of it. That said it's good to invest in a battery backup. If you did have a problem I would think it would be mostly in the PSU. To the computer hardware itself getting power and not getting power happens all the time as it processes it as a 1 or a 0.

I would definitely recommend a battery backup since a surge protector won't always protect a pc during power surges and outages. I would know this from personal experience since the small town I used to live in was prone to real bad power issues during storms and as such the old motherboard got screwed up pretty badly.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Can shutting off the surge protector while the computer is on harm the PC? 2019/03/05 05:04:11 (permalink)
    Shutting off the surge protector switch has the exact same effect as turning off the switch on the back of the PSU. From my understanding, your computer was already shut down. If not, next time, please shut your computer down using the operating system option first, before turning off switches.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile