EVGA

Helpful ReplyLooking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable

Author
jdlever
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/22 00:11:55 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

I can't believe it is this hard to find parts for a high-end laptop, and I've looked for days on every site I can find. Sent an email 2 days ago to tech support, but haven't heard back as of yet. I finally found the screen and had to have it shipped from Taiwan to the US, but I'm still missing 2 key parts to completely repair the computer. What's the deal with the parts supply? Almost any part I've tried to find has been a nightmare, and now I'm stuck in repair purgatory because I can't find an evga display cable that probably cost $.25 to make? It's getting pretty frustrating.

Here's the description from newegg of the model I bought:
EVGA SC17 17.3" 4K/UHD IPS Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6820HK (2.70 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 32 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop

I need a 40-pin display cable, and while I found some 40-pin cables none are EVGA branded. Most have similar yet different model numbers, which makes me think they probably wouldn't work - but I'm not a tech so I don't know. 

In addition to the display cable, I need the bezel or screen protector (not sure what it's called) with the evga logo that adheres to the case and protects the screen. I'm not even sure where to begin looking for a part like that. Since it's adhered to the case w/ some very strong adhesive, removing it from any existing screen seems like a no go. Meaning, I'd have to get it from EVGA - who doesn't make the SC17 anymore apparently. 

While I'd love to get both, the screen protector isn't 100% necessary since I could get by without it. As for the display cable, I'm dead in the water if I can't get a replacement. Any help is much appreciated as I'd really like to get my laptop back up and running. TIA!

PS...I attached an image of the busted cable w/ the description on it.

post edited by jdlever - 2019/02/22 00:14:41

Attached Image(s)

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 05:44:20 (permalink)

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

jdlever
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 10:59:29 (permalink)

The old thread title was about finding the actual SCREEN, which I eventually was able to find and said so in the thread - so anybody that reads that thread won't make it down to the part about my additional troubles with the display cord. I probably mentioned what I 'think' is called the bezel, but I'm not even certain of the actual part name for the glass/screen protector/border around the screen so I can search for the part nor did anyone offer an answer. There's also no image of the part in that old thread on the Screen that I'm looking for, nor any answers on whether an aftermarket cable/bezel will work or if it has to be an evga part....

I get that a board has to be organized with rules and standards and have in place certain measures to avoid spam/scams, but some of you guys should really focus on helping new members (at least if you want to build your membership base, build the evga brand, encourage repeat business from loyal customers) rather than being the board gestapo. Allow me to rehash what I've been through since this ordeal began:
  • My $2k laptop hasn't worked for more than 2-3 hours in TOTAL since last August due to various screen troubles that weren't EVGA's fault. I sent the laptop off w/ the power supply to have it serviced because it wouldn't power up 7-8 months after purchase and the nightmare w/ the UPS claims dept after they crushed the old screen ensued. An utter nightmare and tremendous waste of time that spanned two months for me to finally get a check from them.
  • I struggled to find a replacement screen - multiple times - and didn't want to send it back to support after I left them hanging for WEEKS because UPS left me hanging for WEEKS. Eventually, I just had them send it back to me as is unrepaired. I tested it w/ a univ. power supply and miraculously got it to power up even w/ the broken screen, so I didn't even have to send off the laptop - only the power supply was blown - which EVGA support said they'd replace a no cost to me (so they got a thumbs up for the good/prompt customer service, though I still haven't got the power supply and I think it's been 7-10 days). I had to order more than 1 replacement screen - the first one I ordered was (shockingly) broken in transit. The second one that said it was for the SC17 was either the wrong size for the SC17 -or- didn't fit the 980 version of the SC17 (only the 1070). I finally found the exact screen after pulling out the old screen using the sharp led model number - the only one of which was $270 in Taiwan (at least that's the best  I could find).
    The only person on the forums that was actually nice enough to offer assistance had a spare 980 screen was then lectured by a mod about selling on the forum. Ok, the guy was new, like me...but at least let us exchange information or offer something more than 'email support'. EVGA isn't responsible if the guy is trying to sell me a bridge in brooklyn or some scam artist, but he's been my only option for BOTH the bezel AND cable. EVEN TECH SUPPORT said finding the bezel was almost impossible because the SC17 wasn't being manufactured any more. Mods actually hindering the support process rather than enabling it doesn't really encourage repeat customers. At this point...
    • I can't pm the guy because I don't have 10 posts. 
    • I can't post in the marketplace in the section that would (likely) be the most beneficial - the want to buy section, because I don't have a ridiculous amount of posts. Seriously...who comes here looking for tech support/parts and amasses 50 posts? I've already wasted HOURS on this forum and have...what...SIX posts?! Only 44 to go!
    • The guy that offered to help can't help because he's got fewer posts than me. Like I said, I get the desire to avoid spam/scams/etc but some of these standards are just ridiculous. The moderators are (obviously) not afraid to do their jobs...so how about focusing on weeding out the spam/scam artists/sketchy posters rather than on counting posts and copying/pasting forum rules that help no one? It's inefficient and wastes everyone's time and frustrates the resolution process. 
  • The mod in the other thread told me to contact tech support, which I've done...3 TIMES NOW. I don't know if they are just swamped or what because they were very prompt in the past, but so far I haven't heard squat back on what is likely a 25¢ cable! I don't know if a non-evga brand would work because finding the exact codes/IDs specified in the image I provided are impossible to find on the web and I don't know exactly what to look for. Any knowledgeable tech that works on laptops could probably provide a quick answer, but that won't happen buried in a thread that already looks like it was resolved. I've tried searching all the data on the actual label and come up totally empty. My previous experience of wasting weeks on the wrong screen was educational, so I'm trying to find the exact part to avoid ordering the wrong parts - again. Meaning, at this point my best option is to just spin the wheel and start placing random orders from places like France - where the closest similar cables I found - and even those aren't an exact model/manufacturer match.
I LOVE the SC17 (aside from the weight). Given the great assistance on the power supply, it renewed my faith in EVGA making the company a serious contender for future purchases. It's the most powerful and capable laptop I've ever owned, but to be honest the willingness of mods/members to spout forum rules rather than offer any meaningful assistance makes me not want to purchase ANY future evga products. Of course, such criticism is probably going to end up getting me banned...but seriously guys, put yourself in my shoes. You've been limping along on an Acer laptop that's operational but probably better suited as a boat anchor and have a laptop that costs 4x as much sitting collect dust because I can't get a straight answer on 2 parts! However, I am now extremely well versed in the forum's rules and policies. I'm sorry, but I think ANYBODY would start to lose their patience after all the nonsense I've been through over the last 6 months. 

I'd like to conclude with saying that I don't blame any mods or posters for their responses because it's likely they didn't have the entire picture of how exhausting this entire ordeal has been, or conversely, maybe I just don't understand the reasoning behind the very restrictive forum policies that have hindered rather than helped me solve this problem and left me with no options. I'm obviously very frustrated with the entire process so I apologize for wearing some of that emotion on my sleeve. I've just never spent more for a laptop or tablet, yet at the same time had such a hard time fixing the blasted thing - and that includes other premium laptops from Dell; budget and 'el cheapos' from HP, Acer, Compaq; and various desktops, and tablets. 

If ANYONE can point me in the right direct for the bezel and/or cable so I can FINALLY get my laptop back up and operation, I would owe you like a Bajillion dollars. Thank you.

post edited by jdlever - 2019/02/22 11:17:38
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 11:14:27 (permalink)

If I knew where you could get parts or service for your EVGA Laptop, I would share it with you

How to apply for the EVGA Marketplace? 

Go to the General discussions section, plenty of opportunity to earn Quality Posts quickly

---> "During the approval process, your posts will be reviewed,"

It can takes days to get approved

(excerpt)

Requirements to apply:  You must be a member in good standing with more that 50 posts on the forums.  These post cannot be spam or bumps of any kind.  Your posts must have substance.  During the approval process, your posts will be reviewed, and if they do not meet the requirements, we will ask you to reapply once you have more posts.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jdlever
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 11:34:28 (permalink)
You mean like from the other guy that claimed to have the full screen that you apparently scared off with the marketplace babble?  Look, all I'm looking for is how I can fix this problem...that's all I care about. If someone knows if I can use an aftermarket cable or if it has to be the exact same evga cable that's a great start - and an answer that I have yet to figure out. I also know that it's possible I should be thanking you instead of being critical of your approach because who knows...the guy could have been a scam artist.

Now, I get the fact that there have to be rules in place and as a mod it's your job to enforce said rules, but hopefully this fiasco brings to light that certain policies should be reviewed that are inhibitory to the resolution process and frankly beyond frustrating to loyal customers. If that guy was telling the truth and not a scam artist, he's literally the ONLY option I've found that could have both the bezel/screen protector and the cable - and that's having spent way, wayyyy too much time trying to find either part. 

Hopefully, you and other people here see this as constructive criticism (though I do apologize for some of the tongue-in-cheek remarks) that helps others in the future. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 13:31:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jdlever 2019/02/23 11:00:34
E-mail EVGA

Ask Customer Service to forward your request to the Product Manager for Laptops - or - Engineering for technical help

Ask if EVGA can share their OEM & part number for the parts you want.

If EVGA does not have the parts to service your laptop "end of life product" then maybe they can share some information with you.

Once you Know who the OEM was & part number:
         Contact the OEM and ask if they have any cross reference to that part number (maybe used those parts with other Mfg / Brands)

OEM could share "service centers" or parts retailers that they deal with.

It is unlikely that EVGA spent the time & serious dollars to custom make every part on a laptop. 

If you know the source of the parts & the part number - you may be able to figure out what other Mfg/ Brand may have parts that fit your laptop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/22 13:52:00 (permalink)
@jdlever   PM sent

Hope it helps you fix your laptop

AlexSuru
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/23 00:00:24 (permalink)
Good Day
I'm looking amazed at the quality of your posts. If I were a mod I would grant you access to every part of this forum.
Your common sense is to set an example for everyone. Congrats.

As for my experience with the support you don't stand a chance. I asked for the mainboard of SC 17 980M and I got no info, no supplier, no choice.

Hope You will solve your problem.
jdlever
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/02/23 11:01:24 (permalink)
Cool GTX
@jdlever   PM sent

Hope it helps you fix your laptop

Thanks for the help Coolio. I really do appreciate it! :)

vistarshook
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/08/18 08:48:08 (permalink)
Yes any 4 lane 40 pin EDP cable should work if it has the minimum required length.  The plastic bezel covering is impossible to find unless someone is selling a SC17 as used parts.  I am using my SC17 without it at moment, using black tape to cover the bezel area. 

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

vistarshook
iCX Member
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/08/18 08:52:29 (permalink)
Also my display is the AU Optronics one, not the Sharp, specifically AUO109B/B173ZAN01.0
Now that my plastic bezel cover is gone, I am tempted in trying a 1080p higher refresh rate and response time option, but I will definitely loose Gsync in the process.

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/08/18 09:57:32 (permalink)

My eBay search, show Many for sale ---> EVGA SC17 17.3" 4K/UHD IPS screen

this is currently On eBay ---> I've never Used this seller ... so do your Homework 

eBay -EVGA SC17 GTX 1070 LCD LED Replacement Screen Display 17.3 UHD 4K IPS Panel New

More than 10 available ~$174

eBay 2 - EVGA SC17 SC Series LCD LED Replacement Screen Display 17.3 UHD 4K IPS Panel New10 available  ~$184

acefrozen1
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/08/20 21:30:49 (permalink)
vistarshook
Also my display is the AU Optronics one, not the Sharp, specifically AUO109B/B173ZAN01.0
Now that my plastic bezel cover is gone, I am tempted in trying a 1080p higher refresh rate and response time option, but I will definitely loose Gsync in the process.

Let me know what screens you find that are compatible for that. The AO screen is terrible and i run it in 1080p scaled mode anyways. Also, cutting a decent strong sheet of clear/matte plastic as a cover wouldnt be too terribly difficult, and you could even add your own image near the bottom bezel.

DESKTOP: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.5ghz | Asus ROG GTX 1080TI | 1200w EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA white sleeved cables | 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @3600 | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Rosewill Cullinan | Garuda Linux

LAPTOP: Asus ROG G513QY AMD Advantage Edition | Garuda Linux

WORKSTATION: HP Z600 | 2x Intel Xeon x5675 @3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 1060 6gb | 24gb Corsair DDR3 ECC | AlmaLinux

SERVER: Lenovo Thinkstation | Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 @3.6ghz | 32gb DDR4 ECC | Ubuntu Server

vistarshook
iCX Member
Re: Looking for a EVGA SC17 Screen/Display Glass Protector/Bezel & Display Cable 2019/09/14 23:11:33 (permalink)
acefrozen1
Let me know what screens you find that are compatible for that. The AO screen is terrible and i run it in 1080p scaled mode anyways. Also, cutting a decent strong sheet of clear/matte plastic as a cover wouldnt be too terribly difficult, and you could even add your own image near the bottom bezel.

Ended up getting the same model screen because I didn't want to deal with any incompatibility and certainly lose Gsync because of the bios whitelist. I only had 2 weeks in the US and to do the tests with other screen models would require more time, between the shipping and returning procedures.
The replacement screen was $159 on Amazon.
I got a 144Hz 1080p monitor for my son's birthday and it is g sync compatible so I will have with that....nice monitor with external keyboard/mouse is way way better.
The acrylic to cover the screen is a good idea.....might look into it....for now, I have the screen without any protection.  Using a cloth when I close it to avoid scratches. The screen brightness and colors look great without the cover.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile