PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans

Author
MrEWhite
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 202
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/16 11:32:38 (permalink)
I want to use the PWM fan header on the side of the RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra to sync my case fans to the GPU temp, but when I do this it just maxes the fans out to about 1400 RPM, how do I fix this?

Attached Image(s)

7 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/02/16 12:34:26 (permalink)
    I wonder if the case fan(s) is(are) getting the PWM output signal properly. I wonder if you are trying to use a 3-wire non-PWM-compatible case fan, for some reason, are are using incompatible adapter(s)/splitter(s) or have the adapter(s)/splitter(s) connected incorrectly.

Please tell us about the fan(s?), how it(they?) are connected, and about any adapter(s?) and/or splitter(s?) you are using. It looks like a simple incompatibility or wiring/connection issue. Give us the manufacturer name, part number, and/or model of every fan, splitter, and/or adapter used. Bonus points for Amazon links and a hand-drawn sketch of your fan wiring.

For it to work properly, these are the important aspects:
    1) The fan(s) and all adapters/splitters must be 4-pin 4-wire PWM compatible.
    2) If powering more than one fan, the fans must get their power and ground("negative") from the power supply SATA or Molex connector directly, and NOT from the video card directly if their total peak current consumption is anywhere close to 1 amp.
    3) If powering more than one fan, the splitters used must provide the PWM signal to all fans, but it must be that ONLY ONE fan's tachometer feedback gets back to the video card. If you used multiple stacked ("daisy-chained") splitters, you will need to cut any redundant tachometer feedback wires, or make sure the additional daisy-chained splitters daisy-chain off of one of the root splitter's headers which doesn't have a tachometer feedback wire connected.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/02/16 14:29:21

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

MrEWhite
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/02/21 15:22:19 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I wonder if the case fan(s) is(are) getting the PWM output signal properly. I wonder if you are trying to use a 3-wire non-PWM-compatible case fan, for some reason, are are using incompatible adapter(s)/splitter(s) or have the adapter(s)/splitter(s) connected incorrectly.

Please tell us about the fan(s?), how it(they?) are connected, and about any adapter(s?) and/or splitter(s?) you are using. It looks like a simple incompatibility or wiring/connection issue. Give us the manufacturer name, part number, and/or model of every fan, splitter, and/or adapter used. Bonus points for Amazon links and a hand-drawn sketch of your fan wiring.

For it to work properly, these are the important aspects:
    1) The fan(s) and all adapters/splitters must be 4-pin 4-wire PWM compatible.
    2) If powering more than one fan, the fans must get their power and ground("negative") from the power supply SATA or Molex connector directly, and NOT from the video card directly if their total peak current consumption is anywhere close to 1 amp.
    3) If powering more than one fan, the splitters used must provide the PWM signal to all fans, but it must be that ONLY ONE fan's tachometer feedback gets back to the video card. If you used multiple stacked ("daisy-chained") splitters, you will need to cut any redundant tachometer feedback wires, or make sure the additional daisy-chained splitters daisy-chain off of one of the root splitter's headers which doesn't have a tachometer feedback wire connected.

I'm using this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811990016
    fan hub with 7 PWM Noctua fans.
    yipskiddlydoo
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/04/09 18:17:04 (permalink)
    Hey there,

By any chance, did you end up getting this working?

I purchased the same Deepcool FH-10 fan hub and have run into the same issue, couldn't figure it out!
    If you have, would you kindly please let me know?

REF:
    x3 Noctua 140mm NF-A14 Industrial PPC IP52 3000RPM Fans connected to it (one of which is connected to Fan 1 port, with the speedo engraving)

Connected via the included 4pin cable to the GPU header of the GPU.

On the DEEPCOOL website, the specs state:
    "Each port has its own PWM function and the fan speed can be adjusted at the same time (only the speed of Fan 1 can be identified by the system.)"

Which might be applicable to what ty_ger07 has posted below, but I am unsure how to confirm (have emailed them to see if I can find out anything more).

Thank you to you both!!

ty_ger07

post edited by yipskiddlydoo - 2019/04/09 19:42:42
    LTS_Burgundy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/04/10 19:49:20 (permalink)
    Issue isnt just with fan hubs

I have the RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid and replaced the 120ml fan on there was a Noctua NF-F12 3krpm PWM fan and it only runs at max speed
    oscyjack
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/04/10 20:37:32 (permalink)
    I know it's probably not the answer you want, but why not just run the hub on its own mobo header and match the curve to whatever temp you want
    LTS_Burgundy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/04/10 20:40:55 (permalink)
    oscyjack
    I know it's probably not the answer you want, but why not just run the hub on its own mobo header and match the curve to whatever temp you want

its a $1500 card, nah, i want to be able to use the fan headers on the card
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: PWM Fan Header on RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra maxes out fans 2019/04/12 08:54:21 (permalink)
    Sounds like there must be a design issue with the card or something special which EVGA needs to clarify. I would recommend contacting EVGA.

https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile