1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues

Author
TylerThePainter
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/13 13:27:04 (permalink)
Hello!

I got my card a few months back and since then I have been tweaking all of my settings but I still have issues with playing videos, both streaming and in VLC. I have updated all of my drivers and I keep changing the nvidia settings but certain situations create stutters. In these situations task manager shows maybe 30% usage for decode or 3d. Any answer anyone can provide for the issues/questions below would be greatly appreciated!

1. Is there any additional software that should be downloaded besides the most recent nvidia driver? I don't have the geforce experience installed. 

2. What are settings that anyone else who plays a lot of media have found work?

3. I most recently had issues with VLC on a 4k tv (via hdmi) stuttering. The file is x265. Is there any compatibility issue with x265 4k files?

4. Could there be any issue with using an AMD processor with the 1070? Its a 2700x. 

5. What is a good utility or other software to install to monitor/oc my graphics card (and other hardware)? I currently don't have anything that isn't from a manufacturer of the parts i am using. 

6. Has this card had issues with video before? From everything I am seeing, there shouldn't be a single bit of stutter yet its there in several instances. 

7. I also have stutter with youtube tv but that is more due to how they utilize resources. 

8. I almost never see my video ram usage go up and i have 32gb of ram. Is there any way to increase how vlc or chrome uses this? Would this even be helpful?

For reference my hardware is:  

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/13 13:47:06 (permalink)
    1. No.
    4. Having smt on could be causing issues.
    5. MSI Afterburner/HWinfo.
    7. Might want to try disabling hardware acceleration.

Try enabling hpet to see if it helps get rid of the stuttering. Open command prompt and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" without the quotes then restart your computer.
    TylerThePainter
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/13 14:20:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply! Turning SMT off seems to slightly improve things. Hardware acceleration makes things much worse. 

What are your thoughts on Vsync? Also what settings in the nvidia control panel could be tricky and worth investigating?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/13 14:28:53 (permalink)
    No problem. V-Sync should be set to on, and power management should be set to adaptive. Everything else should be left at default settings.
    Silversong4vr
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/18 06:44:00 (permalink)
    I am also having a similar, pretty random, issue with my 1070 ti sc which I purchased last fall, only I also hear a buzzing sound on screen when the video stutter occurs, and noticed that the GPU ramps up at this time (fans?). I don't remember seeing/hearing this when first purchased, but remember that I noticed it when I installed an M.2 NVME on my desktop PC. Not sure if they would be related?  Also around the same time, I noticed the GPU getting hot, and when I checked the Precision XOC that somehow the fan was turned off, which I quickly corrected to "auto".

I've let this go for several months, but now that I am streaming more, it's more disturbing as it interrupts my channel when it occurs.  NVIDIA drivers are up to date, and I DO have GEFORCE Experience Installed.

I tend to run my games at HIGH or ULTRA settings when playing, but that really shouldn't affect this beast of a GPU?  Plus, this happens whether I'm gaming or just streaming videos (hm...I'll have to noticed if this also happens on non-streaming video)

Any tips, suggestions appreciated! Please know that I'm not terribly tech talk savvy, but am pretty good at troubleshooting given plain language advice :)

If I neglected to mention anything that might help diagnose and fix this issue, please let me know!

My Setup:
    HP Omen Gaming Desktop (Model 880-109), i5-8400 CPU, 16gb (2x8G) ddr4 2666mhz RAM, 500W PSU
    1TB HD, 500GB SSD, 500GB M.2 NVME (OS), Elgato HD60 Pro internal capture card (install about a week ago).
    2 HD Monitors, one connected to EVGA GPU via HDMI, HD TV connected via DP to EVGA GPU. 
    TylerThePainter
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/19 14:13:24 (permalink)
    Sajin
    No problem. V-Sync should be set to on, and power management should be set to adaptive. Everything else should be left at default settings.

Why should power management be set to adaptive? Everything I have seen says to put it on performance. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 1070 SC Black Edition Video Playback Issues 2019/02/19 17:17:25 (permalink)
    Because that is what I would set mine to if I were doing what you were doing. If you want to use prefer maximum performance that is fine as well.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile