Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102312
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/02/16 01:56:08 (permalink)
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-dismisses-nvidia-dlss-harsh-scaling

While AMD pointed out that DLSS' market penetration was a low one, that's not the main issue of contention. In fact, AMD decides to go head-on against NVIDIA's own technical presentations, comparing DLSS' image quality and performance benefits against a native-resolution, TAA-enhanced image - they say that SMAA and TAA can work equally as well without "the image artefacts caused by the upscaling and harsh sharpening of DLSS."

"Some of the other broader available frameworks, like WindowsML and DirectML", and that these are "something we [AMD] are actively looking at optimizing… At some of the previous shows we've shown some of the upscaling, some of the filters available with WindowsML, running really well with some of our Radeon cards." So whether it's an actual image-quality philosophy, or just a competing technology's TTM (time to market) one, only AMD knows.

Personally I believe ANM"Some of the other broader available frameworks, like WindowsML and DirectML", and that these are "something we [AMD] are actively looking at optimizing… At some of the previous shows we've shown some of the upscaling, some of the filters available with WindowsML, running really well with some of our Radeon cards." So whether it's an actual image-quality philosophy, or just a competing technology's TTM (time to market) one, only AMD knows.

Personally I believe AMD will come up with an open source solution to DLSS

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/16 08:12:00 (permalink)
    Interesting article. I always believe ATI/AMD focused more on image quality than performance. Overall, i would like to see what AMD is working on.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/17 00:11:23 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Interesting article. I always believe ATI/AMD focused more on image quality than performance. Overall, i would like to see what AMD is working on.

Apparently not much, after their most recent GPU launch... 
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/17 18:08:12 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    atfrico

Apparently not much, after their most recent GPU launch... 

lol....yeah, it is nothing compare to Nvidia's RTX fail poor sales launch and lies of fail tech.
    To me DLSS means D.owngrade L.evel S.hadow S.ystem

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    nemesys06
    • Total Posts : 43
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/18 23:45:15 (permalink)
    DXR and DLSS may improve in time.  At the very least, for $700 the RTX 2080 still outperforms the AMD Radeon VII when gaming without using those features.  I do believe that AMD may be able to improve performance in time with driver updates, but I really don't see much improvements until 3rd party cards are released.  The current Radeon VII runs very hot, I hope 3rd parties can fix that.  

Intel Core i7 3770K
    16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra
    Something seems wrong here...
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/19 11:56:56 (permalink)
    DXR and DLSS are at best marketing gimmicks

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: AMD Doesn't Believe in NVIDIA's DLSS, Stands for Open SMAA and TAA Solutions 2019/02/19 12:18:15 (permalink)
    I think that the AI behind DSLL will become more and more important. If they can get to 50% faster and go from 60fps to 90fps would be a big improvement. The generation after that another 50% would put it at the 144fps range. Then it’s just focusing on image quality.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile