EVGA

Issues with 750w Supernova G3

Author
Nivekwolfy
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/15 05:29:24 (permalink)
Hi, one month ago I upgraded my PSU from the 650w G3 to the 750w version, everything was great until a week ago I started getting loud coil whine from my GPU (I was playing a game when this happened, one minute it was fine then all of a sudden it started buzzing like crazy) then couple of days later I noticed my HDD has started making a constant thumping noise even when not under any load, I'm now in the process of trying to get them both replaced. I also read online that if I got a faulty PSU that it could cause other parts to start failing, So I'm now worried that if I get the GPU and HDD replaced and I'm still using the same PSU that I might damage my new items or even my motherboard as well.

I'm not sure if it's my PSU that has caused this to happen but it's the only thing that I've changed recently, as far as I can tell the PSU is working fine although it does have a little bit or whine when under load but it's nothing compared to the GPU.

I was going to try and get the PSU replaced as well but I don't know if it's even the cause of these problems and I'm not sure what will happen if it turns out there's nothing wrong with it and EVGA already sent me a replacement, I'm worried if that happens does that mean I'll have to pay any money since they gave me a new PSU for nothing?

Basically I'm here to see if anyone has any advice on what I should do next, Thank you.

My build.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: ASRock X-470 Taichi
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V series 3200mhz 2x8gb
Storage: Samsung 860 evo 500gb + Seagate barracuda 2tb
GPU: MSI 2070 Gaming Z
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750w

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Issues with 750w Supernova G3 2019/02/15 11:27:50 (permalink)
    Coil whine is harmless, but it can be annoying. EVGA does accept rma's for coil whine. Sounds like your hdd needs to be rma'd.
    nightshayde
    • Total Posts : 28
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Issues with 750w Supernova G3 2019/03/12 09:16:11 (permalink)
    I just discovered I have issues with your identical PSU (actually our computers are almost identical). Mine was causing all kinds of issues with my PC unless I unplugged it for 30s and held the power button. I've left my PC running for 2 days without shutting it down or letting it sleep and everything has operated perfectly. However if I reboot the symptoms come back. I'm going to be swapping out my PSU to a corsair one just to be sure.

I've had another 1000W EVGA PSU that had identical symptoms as well:

- Excessive Screen Tearing
    - Stuttering
    - Excessive Coil Whine
    - Image on my 1440p wasn't as clear as it should be (slightly blurred)

After I took the steps mentioned on another forum post my issue has been fixed as long as I don't reboot the PC. Also I'm running my PC using a UPS so it can't be my outlet (and I moved my PC to another outlet on a different floor).
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile