Good ideas but ... Low quality on the DG-8(7) case

Author
Sraet
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/12 10:27:38 (permalink)
TL;DR I am keeping the case, but I feel strongly enough about this to write the post to give others more information.

EVGA always has a good high quality in their products and honestly I feel this case falls below my expectations from them.

Positives:
  • Rotated Layout - Ultimately this is why I bought this case. I have a sit stand desk and being able to push the case along the back of the desk is -the- key feature that sold me on this case. It leaves plenty of space on my desk for things in front of it.
  • No MB Standoffs - I like this because it removes the possibility of getting the screw stuck in the standoff when mounting the motherboard. This has annoyed me for ages with cases and was a pleasant surprise to find (I was unware of it before buying). The motherboard tray is just molded to fit most ATX form factors.
  • Front USB - All the ports on the front, very nice.. The HDMI for VR would have been nice if I did not have the Vive Wireless adapter. Honestly in this day and age, Keyboard/Mouse/Audio ports out the back of the case are fine, but we have so many USB devices having 4+ USB ports on the front, and the 3.1 C (charges my Switch :D) is very nice.
  • Removal of Panels - I put this in the positive but its not perfect. The sides come off really well, they do not close/attach that easily/securely but access to the insides of the case are fairly straight forward and easy.
    • Front Panel - Its possible to close the latching mechanism and then the door wont close, you have to pop it open again before you can actually close it (rough shipping had popped my case open and it took me poking around a bit to figure out how to get the door to close again. The removal of the front door is -very- tight and even harder to slide the pings back into place... I am not willing to open it up again but it also looked like they were plastic.. I could (and hope) I am wrong though and they were brushed black metal.
    • Back Panel - Pull handle, off it comes.. Its very nice.. Closing it however is also problematic. You can snap it close but then will see the corners did not sit flush, push them in and it will actually pop the latch out. its not a tight grasp there.
    • Grating (top and right) - These are held on with the 'push in to latch, push in to unlatch' mechanisms which are -so- easy to break. You can not see them, so you push. If its not lined up properly and you bend the claps well .. you are SOL. The Right panel is only held on by two of these at the top and pushing almost anywhere on the from panel (when moving this huge beast of a case) can pop these back off again.
    • Left Panel - Small enough over the PSU area that the two clasps make more sense here.. Honestly though I wish all these panels slid in or had magnets or something more durable than these again, very easy to break push in clasps.
Negatives:
  • Packaging
    • A lot of posts are about the cases arriving damaged, and so did mine.
      • Internal plastic panel was sheared off at the two screws holding it to the case.. Not the thumb screw itself but the part the thumb screw would have attached to.
      • The left panel comes off on purpose, but the rest of my panels had also popped off.. Luckily they had been pressed in to actually detach instead of being in the locked state and detached (one of the ways to easily break those clasps)
  • PSU Mounting - I had to BEND the case here because the EVGA T2 850w PSU would not fit.. A screw was hanging down and etched across top.. With how Huge this case is this feels kind of like a Why?? Why not give me 2-3mm more space around here to make the PSU slide in easily?
  • Space - This is a large case, I am ONLY listing this as a Negative because of how close I was to having to buy new PSU Power cables. I have a standard set of individually sleeved EVGA cables for my PSU. The Motherboard 24pin fits, but it is pretty tight and does not leave you with many routing options. Be aware that buying the longer cables MIGHT be a better option for this case.. 
  • Internal Thermometer - Just feels like something better could have been done with all the structure in the case then a loose cable that is NOT pulled through with the rest of the cables. (this is really nit picky, I know)
  • Its plastic... All over. The internal of the case is nice and solid and metal, the front panel exterior is also metal, but the viewport, the mirror edge, etc are all plastic which will scratch if you are not careful. ONLY the viewport is covered with a plastic film to protect it, not the mirror'd area so be careful

That is honestly it.. I could keep nit-picking at this but for a stab in a new direction I like a lot of the changes from normal cases.. Just overall the quality of those changes does not feel on par with what I expect from EVGA as well as the price of this case. I would NOT suggest a person buy this case after getting my hands on it myself but it does solve a very key problem for me with the desk space concern on the sit stand desk (this computer used to be in a HAF-XB... nice boxy but front-face power/usb :))

Hope this helps, but it also seems that EVGA is not making any more of these in any case.

Cheers
post edited by Sraet - 2019/02/12 10:28:56

1 Reply Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Good ideas but ... Low quality on the DG-8(7) case 2019/02/12 15:45:13 (permalink)
    One of the major flaws in the DG-8* series case is the bottom right side fan, it's restricted by over 80%. That should of been caught in the early design stage of this case.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile