EVGA

New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal?

Author
kladd85
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/17 17:23:15 (permalink)
I don't even have the energy to explain everything anymore at this point. I'm sure EVGA has my poster up in their office by now. To those interested, just read my other post. To EVGA, and others that can maybe help I'll try and explain.

I'll cliffs it.
OG 980 TI video signal loss after 1hr sessions sent in for RMA took longer than normal due to end of year inventory/holidays.
RMA 980 Ti received was over heating, scratches in plastic, fan made a "clicking" noise that increased with RPM.
2x RMA 980 Ti had PCB damaged, and brown spots on PCB.

EVGA has been awesome in response, and everything. They've manned up and have ran the gauntlet with me. They even upgraded me to a 1080 ACX 3.0 for the issues. Even upgraded my shipping. And I am, honestly. Very appreciative. So let's try and keep this card in my possession.

I just got the card today hooked it up, card looks flawless. If I didn't know better I'd think it was brandnew. Thinking finally!!! Then the fans turn on... And I've never expierenced coil whine, so maybe that's what this is, maybe not. But once fans hit 50%+ there is this god awful "rubbing/clicking" noise. Best way to describe it is I actually thought it was my Kraken x61 water pump had air in it. It sounds VERY similiar. This pulsating clicking/grinding noise anytime the fans hit 50%. At first I'm thinking I can live with this, I use headphones (HD600 + Schitt Magni 2) I won't hear this. Fire up overwatch... And I hear it. 

I literally want to cry out of frustration at this point. Is this just coil whine? Should I just accept it and move on? I'm tempted to just deal with it and move on. I can't imagine anything else they can even do for me at this point. Going on 6 weeks I don't even want to do it anymore.

edit**** grammar.

Edit**** Another way to describe it would be almost like a hard drive noise if that helps.

I'll add a video below to help identify the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKnjcf80n4
post edited by kladd85 - 2019/01/17 17:39:52

15 Replies Related Threads

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 17:37:57 (permalink)
    I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your replacement graphics card. Don't fret, we can help you troubleshoot this issue and if the graphics card is not working properly due to a component failure, we can definitely assist you. I'll be sending you an email directly with some troubleshooting advice and other assistance.

-Jose C.
    kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 18:13:01 (permalink)
    So Jose had gone home for the evening, by chance do emails get taken over by other reps or is this something I need to wait on? He confirmed it's the fan bearings. He had me press on them to see if it helped, but it did not. Maybe I didn't press hard enough, should I try and press harder? Should I put full body weight on it? (Honestly asking, I don't want to break it).
    post edited by kladd85 - 2019/01/17 18:17:14
    kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 18:54:05 (permalink)
    Anyone...? Starting to get a little annoyed that while I get he had to leave, but didn't hand it over to anyone. Just kinda left here. Maybe that's just me being unrealistic, just past threads usually there were quite a few people that jumped in.
    post edited by kladd85 - 2019/01/17 18:55:08
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 19:01:44 (permalink)
    When the office closes for the day, there isn’t anyone to really hand it over to. The phone support personnel aren’t always in the office, so it makes it harder for them to know what Jose has tried so far without asking you to repeat steps.

Try pressing a little harder. If it doesn’t stop, make sure to check for any minor obstructions that may be barely touching the edge of a fan blade.
    kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 19:13:31 (permalink)
    Just talked with Dan on the phone, I guess I have to continue through Jose since it's been escalated due to the issues. I'll try what you said Scarlet thanks for the reply.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 19:53:32 (permalink)
    Hello,

I did send over an email to Jose to get with you in the morning to formulate a plan. Once again, very sorry you are frustrated but we will get you all set. Thank you for your patience in this matter. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 20:43:37 (permalink)
    Too bad you sent the last RMA card back, without even testing it, simply for cosmetic reasons. Note: next time you get a RMA card with a few scratches and hairs, don't turn your nose up; it's common.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/17 21:00:49 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Too bad you sent the last RMA card back, without even testing it, simply for cosmetic reasons. Note: next time you get a RMA card with a few scratches and hairs, don't turn your nose up; it's common.

You think it's acceptable to receive a product with a damaged PCB? You realise they deny people in this very forum just a few threads down for danged PCBs no?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 07:42:49 (permalink)
    kladd85
    ty_ger07

You think it's acceptable to receive a product with a damaged PCB? You realise they deny people in this very forum just a few threads down for danged PCBs no?

Yours wasn't damaged. If you want to argue about whether yours was damaged, please see my response in your previous RMA thread.

You realise they deny people in this very forum just a few threads down for danged PCBs no?

Yeah, the guy who purposely broke off a cereal-sized chunk? That's different than a couple dots, isn't it?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 07:46:42 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    kladd85
    ty_ger07

Yours wasn't damaged. If you want to argue about whether yours was damaged, please see my response in your previous RMA thread.

You realise they deny people in this very forum just a few threads down for danged PCBs no?

Yeah, the guy who purposely broke off a cereal-sized chunk? That's different than a couple dots, isn't it?

Go look, there are other threads of small nicks in the fiberglass of the PCB that were denied. For example, here.
    https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Sent-me-a-damaged-1050ti-RMA-and-refuses-to-replace-due-to-quotPCB-Damagequot-m2813288.aspx

And if you are referring to my first thread with the scratches. You perhaps should re-read the thread yourself and look at the picture of temps I sent showing the card at 65c idle, and 92c load and down clocking, and fan making a "clicking" noise that increased with RPM.

You can argue all you want, fact is. You are wrong. Accept it, and stop stirring the pot that you have no influence on.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 07:56:16 (permalink)
    kladd85
    And if you are referring to my first thread with the scratches. You perhaps should re-read the thread yourself and look at the picture of temps I sent showing the card at 65c idle, and 92c load and down clocking, and fan making a "clicking" noise that increased with RPM.

No, I am referring to this thread where you said the card had a hair on it (normal for a used card), some scratches (normal for a used card), some spots on the PCB (normal for even a brand new card), and two tiny wear marks on the side of the PCB (immaterial and clearly EVGA accepted it back with no reservations).

https://forums.evga.com/C...THER-RMA-m2909699.aspx

You said that you put it back in the box and were sending it back without even trying it out.

So, my point is, don't you wish you tried that card out? You would have gone back to having a GPU a week ago and there was probably nothing wrong with it. Instead, you continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel of the last remaining 900 series video card stock, and if you keep being picky about which one appears good enough on the surface, it might be a long time before you find one which is good to the core.

Good luck. I can't imagine the time and expense of your battle.

kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 08:14:15 (permalink)
    No, I do not wish I tried the card. Because the second I install it, and if that card does have issues, or does 9 months down the road (I still have 300 days in warranty). They can very easily decline warranty. They have here multiple times. If the PCB is damaged, and the card is clearly that stressed in life. Why would I want to accept that as a valid replacement? For all I know that card was dropped on the PCB causing that damage, or has just had that rough of a life.

The brown spots are also what had me worried to put it into my system. Given everything else I had seen on this card I don't know what it may do to my system. 

I also even said in that thread, the circled hair was more of a joke. It was more of a "Really, you look over these cards, yet theres a hair sticking out of the fan right here". It just showed the lack of QA.

But ultimately, it was the damaged PCB and the denied warranty claims that are well versed in this very forum that made me very concerned about the future well being for not just reliability, but warranty for that card.

Being a Service Manager, perhaps I just see these things differently. I understand the back end of it. More so warranty side. Am I picky? Sure. But this thread is on a few social platforms not just here, and I'm clearly not the only one that thinks I'm in the right.
    post edited by kladd85 - 2019/01/18 08:15:59
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 08:50:26 (permalink)
    In my opinion, since your previous thread, you have been acting demanding, unreasonable, and are creating an unwanted activist vibe.

Again, all of your concerns about your previous card are patently unfounded. Spots on brand new cards are common. It is caused by inadequate cleaning during manufacturing and then exacerbated by the silkscreening and masking process. The hair, not even worth discussing again. The scratches, again perfectly normal and it says so right in the warranty terms. The two tiny marks on the edge of the PCB are the only things which could possibly be an issue, but you documented it and EVGA has a track-record of doing what is right if proof is presented. No problem.

I would have used your previous card. I have used quite a few used EVGA cards.

Good luck to you! Please try to remember that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel of the last remaining 900 series stock. It's going to be difficult for you if you fight it and exacerbate the situation. Irony is that the more you fight it, the more "punishment" you will appear to receive; this is good for your social media. Maybe that is your motivation.

Fortunate for you, I suppose EVGA is bending over backwards for you and giving you free shipping service. I suppose that you are only wasting eachothers time for the purpose of fighting boredom.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/01/18 09:04:47

kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 09:07:54 (permalink)
    You very well may be right. Perhaps my expectations are too high of EVGA.

Want to say, also thanks for the insight and knowledge on the manufacturing process. I don't know alot about that. I like to think I'm techie, but I'm not that technical on the manufacturing process.
    post edited by kladd85 - 2019/01/18 09:10:28
    kladd85
    Re: New Card I Got... Maybe it's normal? 2019/01/18 19:16:41 (permalink)
    Adding another video from thier request. This one captures the noise a little better. I apologize but taking a sound video in a wind tunnel on a cellphone is not easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_vnZtl9p4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile