EVGA

Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio

Author
mcromati
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/01/11 16:59:39 (permalink)
The current PC I'm running is well, getting a little long in the tooth. Asus P8P67, Intel I5-2500K , Galaxy GTX460. Yup, back in late 2011, early 2012. But it's been SOLID. At the time, I picked some really nice components. I love it when that happens.

With Coffee Lake and the specs I'm seeing, and after waiting for MANY years, I want to build a new rig. All the new toys built into mobos today, wow. It's been way too long since I last did this.

GOOD LORD have things changed. The mobos all have amazing features-- MASSIVE heatsinks etc for the voltage regulators, full RGB control, and I had to look into what the hell M.2 was. LOL. Maybe if I didn't cancel my MAXIMUM PC subscription long ago I'd have a clue as to what's going on today, ha.

Anyway, my new CPU is most certainly going to be an I7-8700K. I plan to use this next PC a long time. Love Intel. And from what I know, that processor kicks ass.

My requirements are pretty simple:
* Decent and not to horribly difficult overclocking. Does not have to push the envelope. But it should be stable. I do audio and video encoding a lot, so yeah I'll be stressing things a bit. Sometimes.
* Really good audio. Everyone say buh-bye to my Audigy 2 ZS. The drivers just aren't there anymore and I'm tired of fighting that particular battle.
* Yeah, I'll be using that M.2 slot. Nice feature.
* Quiet. I don't want a noisy system.
* No games. I'm older than you probably think, and don't really have time for gaming anymore. So GAMING-SPECIFIC features-- not needed.

While I currently have (an ancient!) ASUS board, I am not married to ASUS as a brand. I'm willing to pick whatever.

I want to avoid headaches. I don't want to deal with crappy software. The audio should be awesome. The overclocking should just... WORK.

I've perused newegg and there's a lot of nice choices. Too many, almost. And everywhere I look, I see good stuff but then this or that feature or function gets nailed in the reviews.

Help? I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks everyone.

7 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/11 19:56:10 (permalink)

Moved to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/11 21:34:53 (permalink)
    I think most of the Z390 motherboards on the market come with Realtek S1220 or S1220A audio chip, some might use 6-7 year old Creative Sound Core3D audio chip. Are you looking or any audio software feature? I have messed with ASUS ROG Sonic Studio audio software, that audio software allows you to make a custom audio preset for each app launched.

I know you don't like dedicated sound cards anymore, but they do give you better audio quality. My Creative AE-5 driver was buggy when it first came out but now it's working fine.

post edited by MSim - 2019/01/11 21:59:57

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/12 23:14:31 (permalink)
    Get an I7-9700k
    8 cores has been better for me than 6 cores were.
    The Asrock Taichi mobo has been said to be the best mobo for the price, with much more expensive features at much lower cost, and stable as heck.
    I would go with a pcie/m.2 over a dedicated m.2 card. Especially with the Z3xx series, as they dont have many pcie lanes, and the dedicated m.2 cards take up a lot of lanes. Also, m.2 can be finicky, and not very drop-in friendly.
    Heck, even some GOOD sata SSD's, like the Intel, or the Pro series, will have you singing praises.

Just my opine.

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/12 23:36:05 (permalink)
    Dave3d
    Get an I7-9700k
    8 cores has been better for me than 6 cores were.
    The Asrock Taichi mobo has been said to be the best mobo for the price, with much more expensive features at much lower cost, and stable as heck.
    I would go with a pcie/m.2 over a dedicated m.2 card. Especially with the Z3xx series, as they dont have many pcie lanes, and the dedicated m.2 cards take up a lot of lanes. Also, m.2 can be finicky, and not very drop-in friendly.
    Heck, even some GOOD sata SSD's, like the Intel, or the Pro series, will have you singing praises.

Just my opine.

that i7-9700k is still only a 16 PCIe lane CPU - just 1 GPU at full 16x has taken all the lanes
    https://ark.intel.com/products/186604/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-90-GHz-

Regardless of weather or not the M.2 is on the board or you use and PCIe M.2 adapter you are still running through the PCH, might as well just run it on the motherboard then

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/13 00:05:04 (permalink)
    True. And I did mean to say a sata m.2/ssd, not a pcie/m.2. That is if they even make them still. I havent looked at recent m.2's since they very 1st came out, and they had ssd's, ssd/m.2, pcie/m.2, pcie/ssd.
    I didnt even bother putting in my m.2 in my Z370 setup. The ssd I have in is just fine, and I cant really tell much difference, except maybe some tiny game load time, of the m.2 vs the ssd.
    post edited by Dave3d - 2019/01/13 00:07:12

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/13 00:29:23 (permalink)
    full up NVME M.2 will stomp anything using an sata port
    I used 2 NVME M.2 drives on my new system - besides the speed boost I liked the fact there was not going to be any cabling
    Having said that, I have ran across a few games that still load slow enough to make you think you were still using a spinning drive (cough,, Fallout 76). If the coding is crap it will still load slow

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18923
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Looking for Z390 mobo recommendation, for solid stable system with decent audio 2019/01/15 19:52:30 (permalink)

Check out the rig in my signature.. i7-8700k, 500GB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe m.2 drive, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Z390 Hero, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz @ 15-17-17-35 timings. Sounds like what you're looking for. I also have a very good GPU, but that isn't as important for your needs.

With this setup, I went into the BIOS and set the RAM to run at spec using XMP profile, and set the CPU o/clock at 5GHz without having to touch voltage or anything else - left it all on auto. Took all of 2 minutes, and the overclock is stable as a brick craphouse - I've never had a crash, and so easy to do, no messing around pushing voltage up bit by bit and testing each time. I believe the majority of i7-8700k CPUs will clock to 5GHz without issue. I run the CPU under water using EVGA's CLC280 AIO cooler - easy to install, zero maintenance, and very effective cooling, as well as running quietly, although I replaced the stock fans with a couple of 140mm high-speed 'be quiet!' SilentWings3 PWM fans for the radiator, which I strongly recommend for both performance and low noise. I do not recommend air cooling if you're planning to overclock this CPU, particularly if low noise matters to you. I also used 120mm 'be quiet' SilentWings3 fans for the case, purely for low noise and high performance. They do not make fans with multi-colored LEDs, they just make quality performance fans. If you really want RGB fans, you don't have to compromise on quality - just grab these RGB fan frames and you're good to go with whatever fans you have. Nice right?

I find the integrated audio very good on this motherboard, and the ASUS Sonic software gives you some added tools to tweak the performance to your preference. In saying that, I am not an audiophile by any means, but I have used Creative sound cards in the past (standard models, not top of the range), and this integrated sound is just as good, if not better - certainly I don't have the driver issues that Creative almost always gave me. A description from ASUS:

SupremeFX : Utilizing the S1220 codec, SupremeFX is the integrated-audio solution that's engineered to provide a flat frequency response for a neutral, detailed sound signature. And to ensure that pristine signature is perfectly preserved, the front-panel output is driven with dual op amps, delivering sonics with the scale and authority to create virtual worlds via your gaming headset.

You can always drop in a separate sound card - EVGA have just released a rebranded(?) AudioNote sound card as it happens, although I haven't looked into any reviews but you might want to check it out.  Alternatively you can go for an external sound card - I believe these Burson Audio ones are top of the line, but you definitely pay for quality. If you're an audiophile you're probably used to that though.

I use photoshop reasonably often and that performs much quicker than the previous i7-7700k quad core I was using (also clocked at 5GHz), and very occasionally do a bit of video editing, and I've also rendered a little bit using DAZ3D, and it was quicker than I expected. This i7-8700k CPU is fast. 6 cores (12 virtual) @ 5GHz and decent RAM should make you pretty damn happy. Combined with the 970 Pro NVMe drive makes for a very snappy system (I run it as PCIe which disables SATA ports 5 & 6, but still leaves you 4 more SATA ports for additional hard drives / optical drive, and retains x16 lanes for the GPU). I also run 3 x 850 EVO SSD's (SATA) for data, media, backups etc., plus an optical (DVD/CD) drive. I am very very happy with this rig, and sounds like it might be close to what you're looking for.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up getting!

post edited by Nereus - 2019/01/15 20:32:30

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile