PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/01/11 03:33:11 (permalink)
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/pubgs-global-investigation-into-cheating-has-seen-16-pro-players-suspended/

Continued anti-cheat efforts have seen more than 13 million accounts ousted from PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds throughout 2018, with developer PUBG Corp. capping off the year by launching an investigation into the practice on a global scale. The first four consist of Christian “Cuhris” Narvaez, Liam “Liammm” Tran, Tyler “DevowR” Sti and Mark “Tefl0n” Formaro, who received personal three-year bans from competitive play. This has been decreed as the minimum sentence for being caught cheating during professional play, with a maximum ranging up to a lifetime ban. Each of their teams were also disqualified from the NPL Preseason, replaced by the next four teams that climbed up to the top spots in the Mid- December Qualifiers.

Out of a total twelve more rulings, six were similarly caught cheating during a professional game, resulting in a three-year ban for “Papaya”, “Cabecao”, “swalker”, “zuppaa”, “Houlow” and “sezk0.” 

So even professional players 'cheating' can be caught. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

19 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/11 04:52:33 (permalink)
    So pathetic.... 

But when you think about it, there are millions of people cheating in games just in normal servers everyday that aren't getting paid or sponsored to do it - - so I guess it's not surprising to imagine the  'players' who are getting paid are feeling an even bigger pressure to cheat to win .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/11 20:29:30 (permalink)
    Remember folks these are "pros".... LOLOLOLOL Pathetic!!!!!!!!!! Too bad for their teams and teammates if they weren't cheating as well..  
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/12 05:55:53 (permalink)
    Context, they are being punished for being caught and embarrassing the league they're in. If it's known cheating even happens in esports it throws shade on the league and effects their revenue. They will punish anyone that effects thier revenue stream, not because it's the right thing to do.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/12 05:59:05
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/13 11:06:57 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Context, they are being punished for being caught and embarrassing the league they're in. If it's known cheating even happens in esports it throws shade on the league and effects their revenue. They will punish anyone that effects thier revenue stream, not because it's the right thing to do.

Considering it's just a commercial anyway, Esports can die off an nothing of value will have been lost.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/13 11:25:19 (permalink)
    Why even allow any programs to be used, especially in "pro gaming" -- even the playing field

whitelist what can be used ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 04:19:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Why even allow any programs to be used, especially in "pro gaming" -- even the playing field

whitelist what can be used ?

Stream capture and voice chat software come to mind as needed regardless and that would be a problem if gaming started seeing false positives on those kind of things. Anything with an overlay or hook into the render pipeline is a potential false positive. A lot of things do it but are innocuous.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 06:54:51 (permalink)
    I have a conspiracy theory.  I think some companies let loose a bunch of cheaters say like CoD or BF games towards the end of the title before the next game comes out to get gamers sick of the old and lure them to the new.  I always saw a spike in cheats when the game was decently clean for a while towards the end.

Just my conspiratory 2 cents.
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/01/14 06:57:02

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 13:59:46 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    I have a conspiracy theory.  I think some companies let loose a bunch of cheaters say like CoD or BF games towards the end of the title before the next game comes out to get gamers sick of the old and lure them to the new.  I always saw a spike in cheats when the game was decently clean for a while towards the end.

My conspiracy theory is two-fold. One that publishers hire false-flag operations with Chinese hackers to defame certain titles. And two, publishers deliberately attract hackers, because that is their target audience for their titles -- the stereotypical internet cafe guy that plays 18 hours a day while aim-botting. There is big money to be had in false outrage and having these sort of people in a cycle of hacking and re-purchasing new accounts once a week to satisfy their existence and then claim high sales of the title. I mean, these sort of games must satisfy some base need of these people for the games to be that popular and it still be happening all the time.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/14 14:06:33
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/14 15:30:58 (permalink)
    Single Player FTW or Private servers, I gaveup on Online gameplay many years back....
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 01:40:56 (permalink)
    Disgusting. Just like big sports, esports introduced big money and down the sewer it all went.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 03:18:51 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Disgusting. Just like big sports, esports introduced big money and down the sewer it all went.

I've always felt that the people behind esports are just as much the issue as those participating in it. It takes big money to prop up a fake sport and then put it into convention sized locations. It's an artificial existence.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/01/15 03:32:42
    _AlanT
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 06:05:27 (permalink)
    I've always questioned where these league/teams get their players from. Players cheating to be competitive only falls in line with my uneducated theory that these players aren't really all that skilled.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/15 12:49:59 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GTXJackBauer

My conspiracy theory is two-fold. One that publishers hire false-flag operations with Chinese hackers to defame certain titles. And two, publishers deliberately attract hackers, because that is their target audience for their titles -- the stereotypical internet cafe guy that plays 18 hours a day while aim-botting. There is big money to be had in false outrage and having these sort of people in a cycle of hacking and re-purchasing new accounts once a week to satisfy their existence and then claim high sales of the title. I mean, these sort of games must satisfy some base need of these people for the games to be that popular and it still be happening all the time.

Yes!  I forgot to add that to my post.  I couldn't tell you how many times I called out a wall hack/aimbot and their response was "I'll just buy the game again lol" because they start selling these titles for $5-20 during the 2nd half of the game's life, let alone during special sales.

I wish there was a way or a organization funded by all the big game companies that kept an eye on cheats and banned people's IPs.  Than make them pay a heavy sum to get unbanned and make it a 3 strikes you're completely out type of system.  This would make most not bother doing it again just like laws in society.  Not sure how that will fare with those on VPN though.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/16 14:15:27 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GTXJackBauer

Yes!  I forgot to add that to my post.  I couldn't tell you how many times I called out a wall hack/aimbot and their response was "I'll just buy the game again lol" because they start selling these titles for $5-20 during the 2nd half of the game's life, let alone during special sales.

I wish there was a way or a organization funded by all the big game companies that kept an eye on cheats and banned people's IPs.  Than make them pay a heavy sum to get unbanned and make it a 3 strikes you're completely out type of system.  This would make most not bother doing it again just like laws in society.  Not sure how that will fare with those on VPN though.

Maybe when they ban someone they need to ban the ip, the account, the person and any info associated with the account so if they buy a new account that one goes too, etc.... just everything.Of course, they would have to make it mandatory that you need to properly fill out your account info before the game will log on. Theres def a way to stop it but frankly its not up to me and I don't have the time or the code chops to figure it out for free right now. :)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/20 06:36:32 (permalink)
    wmmills

Maybe when they ban someone they need to ban the ip, the account, the person and any info associated with the account so if they buy a new account that one goes too, etc.... just everything.Of course, they would have to make it mandatory that you need to properly fill out your account info before the game will log on. Theres def a way to stop it but frankly its not up to me and I don't have the time or the code chops to figure it out for free right now. :)

As much as I agree, these game companies would never stop a cheater from buying more games/accounts.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/28 14:54:39 (permalink)
    If they were "pro's" they wouldn't have got caught in the first place... just sayin' (lmao)

Never played the game, no desire... mainly because of this...

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/28 15:08:55 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    wmmills

I've always felt that the people behind esports are just as much the issue as those participating in it. It takes big money to prop up a fake sport and then put it into convention sized locations. It's an artificial existence.

How is it a fake sport? Gaming is at least as much of a sport as professional darts, race car driving and even golf. A lot of sports test people on fine motor control instead of brute force.  

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HaywireHaywood
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 860
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/01/28 15:14:36 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Context, they are being punished for being caught and embarrassing the league they're in. If it's known cheating even happens in esports it throws shade on the league and effects their revenue. They will punish anyone that effects their revenue stream, not because it's the right thing to do.

That's why laws have punishments.  If it were enough to ban an action and people would do it without any negative consequences, there would be no need for prison sentences or fines.  Some people are genuinely good but I think many are just playing by the rules because they don't want to suffer the consequences of getting caught.

Heatware Affiliate code: QLF0RY1CK9
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: PUBG’s global investigation into cheating has seen 16 pro players suspended 2019/02/14 23:46:36 (permalink)
    cheating is wrong online, cheating in single player only games is up to you, but to do it at all when your around other people shows a complete lack of a moral compass, and proof of your compete lack good judgement.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile