AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
MadmanRB
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 339
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/18 10:05:25 (permalink)
seth89
MadmanRB
Well there is one thing I hope people wont get wrong here and think Navi will now include ray tracing.
It wont, sure its been delayed but not enough time here to add in ray tracing tech.
Probably will be on whatever happens after Navi.

We may see it on Navi cards, maybe... I don't think we know enough about Navi just yet.
https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/78252-amd-boss-working-important-ray-tracing-tech-shoots.html

I dunno, Navi was in the pipeline for a while now, with initial reports going back to 2016.
Granted this could give AMD time to implement Ray tracing but I still dont think Navi will support ray tracing.
Rumors point to E3 announcement for Navi and that is not enough time to implement ray tracing.
The R&D alone would set AMD back years.
The only reason why I think Navi was delayed was I think they were trying to add in support for GDDR5x for budget users due to the high costs of HBM and GDDR6.
Due to the price rumors I doubt that the Navi cards will use GDDR6, probably GDDR5x is my wager.
But I also imagine there will be a HBM variant for enthusiasts.
post edited by MadmanRB - 2019/01/18 10:12:28

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30978
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/18 14:50:20 (permalink)
temp lock for review

Unlocking for now

Please stay On Topic "AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development"

This is Not a who has the better technology thread !
post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/01/18 15:06:32

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: AMD has Ray Tracing GPUs in Development 2019/01/18 15:08:18 (permalink)
seth89
MadmanRB
Well there is one thing I hope people wont get wrong here and think Navi will now include ray tracing.
It wont, sure its been delayed but not enough time here to add in ray tracing tech.
Probably will be on whatever happens after Navi.

We may see it on Navi cards, maybe... I don't think we know enough about Navi just yet.
https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/78252-amd-boss-working-important-ray-tracing-tech-shoots.html

Kram
Nobody is saying RT is not important or that its not the future. People are saying that users purchased a 2000 series card for way tooooo much money without even seeing what ray tracing was. Also that ray tracing rolled out poorly and that there still isn't a lot of support for it currently because it's so new. Nobody who may want to buy a VII is expecting ray tracing or care for it at the moment because it's not a deal breaker yet. Most people don't care for ray tracing just yet because FPS is still way more important than eye candy at the end of the day, especially on multi players games. 
We all get the big deal about ray tracing and we all can't wait for it to be adopted by all/most games, however its current state is just a beta run that the consumer had to shell out for ( and we don't know how well the 2000 series will perform ray tracing as it matures).
VII isn't for the average person, its for the diehard AMD fan. AMD buyers are normally looking for budget parts and not $700 cards for a system with a $800 max budget.
We get it and I think you're missing the point.

You're missing my point. If someone is willing to pony up $700 for a gaming card, they will want the card that gives them all the current gaming features and that leaves the buyer with only one choice, buy an Nvidia card. There may be people interested in the card for it's compute performance, but that's where the Radeon 7 ends. It's going to be a rough year for AMD in the graphics card department.

Same thing happened to Nvidia when ATi/AMD beat them to market with DX11. Just that little extra feature put BFG out of business and forced XFX to start selling AMD cards as Nvidia cards just were not selling because they didn't have DX11. That time period was only from Sept 2009 to March 2010 before Nvidia had a DX11 capable card out and look at the damage it did to Nvidia. I'm sure there where plenty of Nvidia fans saying that Tessellation wasn't important and no games were using it like you're trying to do with Ray Tracing, but the bottom line, it was very important to the people putting their cash out and it went to ATi/AMD until Nvidia brought out the 400 series cards. As a Nvidia fan I was jonesing for Tessellation and I didn't like being left out on the tech, especially after seeing the Heaven benchmark.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile