8700K Delid OC Frequency Limit

Author
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/12/31 14:58:15 (permalink)
So to those of you with more experience in OCing. What is the top end value for frequency youve obtained without putting the jumper in and over volting?

I am doing my OC probably a......well a poor way but its the way Im doing it currently as it is easy and not complicated. I am just altering the ratio by hand, leaving the BLK to 100, syncing all the cores, and setting everything else on auto. I know thats a noobish way of doing it but I just havent had the time nor deep desire to investigate futher into the best way. Anyways, I set the ratio to 47 and the computer does fine, giving me a clock of 4.692 GHz. If I set it to 48 and it posts but thats about it. I dont see an image onscreen and I have to do a CMOS clear to even get to the boot menu. Is that a reasonable top end value of the abilities of the 8700K without over volting, doing it the poor way I am? or do I have a problem. I dont think I have a problem.......but I want to be sure. 

Also, side note. I start the computer up and on HW monitor I see the frequency go to 4.7 GHz but as soon as I run Prime 95 it drops to 4.3 GHz and stays there. If I end the test it jumps back up to 4.7 GHz again. Seems to only do that in Prime 95, started a few games and it doesnt do that. Messing with it now so I thought I would add that snippet.
post edited by Tyver - 2018/12/31 15:07:18

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

4 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 8700K Delid OC Frequency Limit 2018/12/31 15:07:09 (permalink)
    Here are my Bios Settings https://www.flickr.com/photos/48137161@N00/albums/72157690632273052

Running under a Custom Water Loop. Also my Vdroop is Enabled, old image.
    As you can see my AVX offset is 0 and the Default is 3 as why you see a Drop in Prime95
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/31 15:12:04

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 8700K Delid OC Frequency Limit 2018/12/31 16:25:05 (permalink)
    That is actually really helpful. I now at least know what a more advanced person is running.

Thats my problem. I do the over clocking the way I do because I dont know what many of the settings actually do. I need to just spend a afternoon familiarizing with what each setting is controlling.  Once I do that I can use what you have provided as a comparison. Ill put a pin in this and get to it soon-ish.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 8700K Delid OC Frequency Limit 2018/12/31 16:30:18 (permalink)
    Tyver
    That is actually really helpful. I now at least know what a more advanced person is running.

Thats my problem. I do the over clocking the way I do because I dont know what many of the settings actually do. I need to just spend a afternoon familiarizing with what each setting is controlling.  Once I do that I can use what you have provided as a comparison. Ill put a pin in this and get to it soon-ish.

Thanks, but I am far from more advanced
    What is even harder is the X299 Motherboards, they have 2 AVX Settings AVX2 and AVX3 I ended up using 2 and 3.
    For the most part for Overclocking for Benchmark Records most set them all to 0.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 8700K Delid OC Frequency Limit 2019/01/01 12:46:12 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Thanks, but I am far from more advanced

When it comes to OCing, I'm more advanced than someone who doesnt do it but that's about it. You've gone into tweaking voltages so that's makes you more advanced than me. Haha heck I dont even know what that setting is other than its causing my prime 95 problem...because you told me.

It is kinda funny though. I'd always considered myself a more advanced user than most, then I came to this forum. I knew I wasnt the best but I didnt expect to feel like a noob on the subject of PC building. I guess my point is I see where you're coming from, not feeling advanced when looking at the others here..... still youre more advanced than me.

I looked at the X299 Dark when making my recent build. Had it in hand and everything. Then the more I looked at it the more I realized it was out of my league. I liked many of the features I saw but I realized it was kinda illogical to spend all that money on something I dont even know how to use to even a sliver of it potential. Hope to be there one day but my 8700K will do for now. I'd like the 9th gen if it wasnt so hard to delid and put liquid metal in. I'm not even overly upset about the loss of HT. Just wish it didnt take a week to fine tune the processor after removing the solder.....if you're lucky.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile