Short people problems....need help

Author
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/12/29 16:54:04 (permalink)
So my posture is terrible when gaming and my good ol' right wrist is killing me. I have started wearing a compression sleeve or brace (I have both and use whichever depending on what Im doing) just about all the time. The I have a bad chair for the amount of time I spend at the computer, its wore out. Desk isnt the best but its OK for now. 

Sooooo I need to get better office furniture. my wallet says no but my wrist says yes. The desk chair is old and needs to be replaced anyways, Ive just been putting it off. What Ive been doing in the past is running to somewhere like Office Max and just picking out a chiar there, taking it home, and setting it up. These chairs usually say they are great for +8 hours a day and last a while. Newsflash, the cake is a lie. I spent $100-$200 on chairs that wore out in a few months. I did this several times and its actually why I havent bought a new chair yet, I know if I replace the chair I have its just going to do it again. So I ve been doing my research, and tried a few higher end chairs. The problem there is Im short.....too short. May of the brands I looked at and have tested (either in store or actually ordering one) have all been too tall. Like, "my feet dont hit the ground when the chair is down all the way" too tall. The ones that dont have that proablem are uncomfortable or are the chairs found at places like Office Depot.....

So Im asking all teh short people.....What are some good chairs you have come across? Im not having too much luck. Any recommendation is better that what I have. Money isnt a problem, per say, but I dont want to waste money either. 

Also looking to change desks possibly. I currently use a large one from IKEA. It does the job but looking to go with a L desk, it is what I use at work and sitting the keybord in the L give my arms something to rest on and leaves me with better posture. It also doesnt hurt my wrist....so theres why I am considering one. Looking for any suggestions on any desk you have come across. I put nearly all my items on the top of my desk so it needs to be sturdy. That is the problem Im running into, IKEA might be cheap but the desk is sturdy. Many of the other ones I have looked at in the past couple days just look both cheap and not very sturdy. Just looking to make a change. Really want to change the chair but throwing this out there in case someone has some recommendation for it. 

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

12 Replies Related Threads

daaneel
    • Total Posts : 9
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2018/12/29 19:34:53 (permalink)
    Also try checking to see if your monitor and chair are at the correct heights
    Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2018/12/30 12:01:35 (permalink)
    daaneel
    Also try checking to see if your monitor and chair are at the correct heights

I know theyre not correct. that is also part of the problem but as I am basically sitting on a plate since the chair has worn out. I am more concerned with replacing the chair rather than positioning it correctly. I actually cant position it correctly due to how the arm rests on the chair hitting the bottom side of the desk. I cant place the arm rests above the chair either. I would put them level with the desk but my short little arms cant reach the keyboard then. I would mount a sliding rail for the keyboard under the desk but that creates other spacing issues. Soooooo instead of diving into fixing the issue Im just looking at replacing the chair for now since its at least worn out and needs it anyways.

Im really more so looking for recommendations of chairs for us vertically challenged people. I cant seem to find a decent one that will last and was seeing if anyone had any better luck than I.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 11:43:22 (permalink)

Define "vertically challenged". My Mrs is 5' 2".. we use Herman Miller Aeron chairs at our respective desktops, very comfortable chairs, and they come in small, medium or large size, so she has a small one. Very expensive, but you get probably the best computer/desk chair that exists, including a 12 year warranty.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 11:56:24 (permalink)
    Nereus

Define "vertically challenged". My Mrs is 5' 2".. we use Herman Miller Aeron chairs at our respective desktops, very comfortable chairs, and they come in small, medium or large size, so she has a small one. Very expensive, but you get probably the best computer/desk chair that exists, including a 12 year warranty.

I'm a 5'5" male.....so yeah. Lucky me. It does have some advantages though, being that short.

I'll have to look into it that brand. Thanks for the suggestion. I snagged a chair on sale at office depot but I know it wont last long because it's on the low end. Just needed something because I was basically sitting on a plate.

That always seemed to be a problem, even if brands offered a "small" size, it was still too tall. If it works for here then it should be good for me. I tried a vertagear small chair, it wasnt small at all. I returned it and tried another brand (for get the name off hand) and their small presented the same issue. I know being this short isnt the norm for men, actually I'm the height of the average woman, so youd think I wouldnt have this much trouble. I hate to say it but when women say everything seems to be built for men, I'm going to have to agree since I have a mans build but a womans height. I get to experience the struggle with them when looking for short people items.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 12:08:13 (permalink)

5' 5" isn't all that short lol, I was expecting you to reply under 5'. This might help - average male height in various countries:

Bahrain : 165.1 cm (5' 5")
    Brazil : 169.0 cm (5' 6.5")
    China (PRC) : 164.8 cm (5' 4.9")
    Gambia : 168.0 cm (5' 6.1")
    Guatemala (Maya people) : 157.5 cm (5' 2")
    India : 165.3 cm (5' 5")
    Indonesia : 158.0 cm (5' 2.2")
    Indonesia, East Bali : 162.4 cm (5' 3.9")
    Iraq : 165.4 cm (5' 5.1")
    Malaysia : 164.7 cm (5' 4.8")
    Malawi : 166 cm (5' 5.3")
    Mexico : 167 cm (5' 5.7")
    Nigeria : 163.8 cm (5' 4.5")
    Philippines : 163.5 cm (5' 4.4")
    Thailand : 167.5 cm (5' 5.9")
    Vietnam : 167 cm (5' 5.7")

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 12:14:54 (permalink)
    True but here in the US it's short. I'm not upset about it or anything too much. There's many times it's been useful. I work on agricultural equipment and they are large machines but compact in design. So I often can access areas that others can because my hands/arms are smaller. There's actually been a couple instances where I had to crawl in a combine and do repairs because no one else could. So I'm not upset about it, more upset at the frustration caused when trying to find something form fitting here in the US.

I looked up the chair. I think I may get one down the road but you weren't kidding. Not cheap. However, it it lasts even 10 years it's still cheaper than me buying a new one every year or every other year in the long run. Plus if its comfortable for short people, that's a huge plus. Thank you very much for showing me this. You have no idea how long I've been looking for a good chair that fit my build. Knew one had to be there but it seems most people suggest brands that just aren't made for shorter people.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 12:24:08 (permalink)
    Tyver
    I looked up the chair. I think I may get one down the road but you weren't kidding. Not cheap. However, it it lasts even 10 years it's still cheaper than me buying a new one every year or every other year in the long run. Plus if its comfortable for short people, that's a huge plus. Thank you very much for showing me this. You have no idea how long I've been looking for a good chair that fit my build. Knew one had to be there but it seems most people suggest brands that just aren't made for shorter people.

We picked ours up for $800 each, but certainly shop around for deals. You are exactly right about them paying off - not only about the price versus buying a cheaper new one every year or so (been down that road already before we got these ones), but also ergonomically - these chairs are awesome, and this model in particular is designed specifically for office/computer use, meaning hours at a time of use. Depending where you buy them, you usually get a 30-day return period too. I'm 5' 8" btw, not quite a towering Goliath myself lol..

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 12:34:23 (permalink)
    Thats good to know because that's a significant sale price based on the ones their website listed. On their site, at least when I first looked, cheapest one was $1150, probably had to pay for shipping too. I think I know where my tax refund is probably gonna go. Again, thanks for all the help. Knew someone had to have a similar issue as well. I'd been looking for something like this for a year or two, not overly seriously looking, but looking none the less. I wear them out because outside work, where is spend a good amount of time on my feet, I'm usually at home on my computer playing games or other things. So needless to say 4-8 hours a day.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 12:57:12 (permalink)

I also use a footrest with mine - this one from Amazon. Just having the slight angle so my feet are not flat on the floor makes sitting more comfortable, plus it also brings the ground a few inches higher up. Inexpensive, so you might want to grab one right now, it may help.

*amended link.. Kensington one is the good one, the other one I first linked to I had to return because it stunk of some kind of adhesive.

post edited by Nereus - 2019/01/01 13:07:04

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 19:27:59 (permalink)
    I have one but Id just rather not use it because it gets in the way some times.

Doomed83
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 139
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/01 20:49:10 (permalink)
    I've heard from many different people now that the Herman Miller Aeron chairs are some of the best. I've not invested in one yet myself but have done some digging around. They can be found for $500 of less on the used market if you need to save some money. Obviously selection of sizes and customization are limited but you may have luck.

Good luck with your chair/desk hunt!

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Short people problems....need help 2019/01/02 15:49:28 (permalink)
    Im not a huge fan of used furniture. Im a bit of a neat freak. Dont mind used items, just not furniture or clothes. Plus since I just bought this cheap new chair, I need to wear it out first. At the rate I usually do it, it wont be to long. haha
    post edited by Tyver - 2019/01/02 15:57:56

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile