EVGA

EVGA 750w G3 - PG 150ms (Power Good Signal) - After shutting down powers on momentarily

Author
SotisVonMerk
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/12/22 12:45:53 (permalink)
Hi, EVGA SuperNova 750W G3 arrived yesterday and since I am still waiting for some other components to arrive, I though I should test it with a Power Supply Tester that I had. There are 2 things that trouble me though:

1) The PG (Power Good Signal), is 150 ms, close to the lower limit of 100 ms. The tester blinks the PG sign and beeps. Although it is within the spec limits (100-500 ms), I would like to ask if this is considered a normal PG value for a G3 PSU.

2) When I switch the PSU off by pressing the power-off button in the back, I noticed something weird. As expected the power is cutoff and the screen of the tester turns off as well, as it should be.
Then after about 0.5~1 second, I hear something like a relay-switch sound and momentary the tester screen lits again, then turn off again. Same happens to the PSU Fan as well, spins for a moment then goes off. After about 0.5~1 second, again same relay-switch sound, tester screen on, PSU Fan spins, then tester screen off, PSU Fan off, for good this time. Is this kind of behavior considerered as normal? Isn't there any risk for the motherboard? Note that, this behavior happens with the EVGA supplied jumper-tester also (in this scenario, the Fan turns on and off for a couple of times before complete shut-off).

The product package was sealed when arrived, so maybe a defective unit? My main concerns are the PG value being close to limit and if this shut-off behavior may cause damage to the motherboard, since some currents seems to pass through a couple of times when pressing the off button.

Any help or advice is very welcome...   

post edited by SotisVonMerk - 2018/12/22 12:48:33

3 Replies Related Threads

SotisVonMerk
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA 750w G3 - PG 150ms (Power Good Signal) - After shutting down powers on momentaril 2018/12/27 11:47:19 (permalink)
    In case anyone has a similar problem, here is the EVGA's response to my ticket. I am still waiting for some components to arrive, so for the moment I cannot test the PSU in a rig environment. But from their response, seems that everything will be ok and should have no problem.  

Thank you for the troubleshooting information. From the information you've provided it sounds like the power supply is functioning normally. The "power good" reading can fluctuate and does not relate to performance of the power supply in any way. The brief half-second of power from the PSU also sounds normal. Whenever a PSU is turned off, it may discharge the capacitors inside and can provide a brief moment of power. This is not damaging in any way and is normal for the vast majority of power supplies.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    EVGA
    post edited by SotisVonMerk - 2018/12/27 11:51:56
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA 750w G3 - PG 150ms (Power Good Signal) - After shutting down powers on momentaril 2018/12/27 12:37:21 (permalink)
    It makes sense that it would have to discharge after power is shutdown. You wouldn’t want to shutdown the computer to work on it and still have the PSU have a charge it could pass onto the motherboard.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

johncosbourne
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA 750w G3 - PG 150ms (Power Good Signal) - After shutting down powers on momentaril 2020/08/18 09:32:05 (permalink)
    Hi I have a similar issue I have just received an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 80 Plus GOLD 850W,  220-G3-0850-X3 when testing the PSU with a Thermaltake Dr Power 2 I have a PG Fail and my Motherboard is and Asus Rog Strix B550 Gaming E Brand new Powers on as soon as the PSU is switched on bypassing the on/off switch on the case. The question is. is my PSU faulty? from what I know a missing or fail "Power Good signal" will cause problems such as this i'm looking for confirmation and any help please
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile