EVGA

Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" !

Author
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3939
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 62
2018/12/16 06:56:46 (permalink)
Hey all

This is something I always wanted to share with you guys, since I also collect scale 1:200 diecast Boeing 747 models which you read here:
https://forums.evga.com/Here-my-Entire-Model-Aircraft-Collection-and-what-follows-m2745418-p3.aspx#2898124
So as it seems I happen to also partially own  a 1978 KLM Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD as well, that to which this topic will be about it great detail!

Back on April 27, 2018, my Therapist and I went to the Aviodrome in Lelystad to go see the following:

-------------------------------------------------
Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines "KLM/Northwest Livery)
PH-BUK "Louis Blériot"
Scale 1:1
Brand: Boeing Company, Everett USA.

Streched Upper Deck Upgrade package from KLM with permission of Boeing Company, Everett, USA.

-------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 22, 2018 my Therapist and I went to Lelystad's Aviodrome, there where I had the chance to pay a special visit to the KLM B747-206B(M)SUD the PH-BUK named "Louis Blériot"

When I was there I made pics of upper & Main Decks and from the outside as well, also made some videos but I upload those tomorrow, just a lot of work was done to make all these as best as I possibly could and yes I will also buy this aircraft from Inflight 200 the PH-BUK is for me a must have as one of the best preserves B747-206B(M)SUD's out there within the EU.

It felt as if I was home again as I was the only one there I had this entire Queen for myself and had a private tour as well some very old memories have been regiven to me as well by it's crew and for allowing me to sit in Seat 40K (Row 40 Seat K that I sat during my flight with the KLM B747-306M PH-BUW back on January 24 1986 from Amsterdam - Colombo - Singapore - Sydney.

This was my best B747 day every as it regained me memories from my B747-300 & 400 flight experiences. I can't sadly remember much from my B747-200B experience except the photo's I have of it and the Equator Certificate my parents spared for me.

So here my review of this awesome relic and probably one of the coolest Queens you can visit within the European Union that allows the viewer to see and touch and even study every single part and dimension of this awesome aircraft.
It sadly does show ware but the people that work there are all free timers , they do their best to renovate and keep things in tact as they can as they do that for the love of this old Dutch Queen, they even wanted me to help them out , mainly for my knowledge and B747 history background and being part of the Boeing 747 Fan Club's crew that was for them a great privilege as they were to me that same kind of privilege we talked for hours they learned me new things as I learned them things they never knew, makes it so awesome when having a conversation about a subject both people understand and love discussing

A revisit is planned as they plan on trying to obtain of of the 16 remaining KLM B747-406M's, thereby keeping this B747-206B(M)SUD as well
So Hell yeah for that right! \o/ \o/ \o/

So here some Video's I made when I was there:

From the left side Outsdie:

Here a short video of a walk around of this old B747-206B(M)SUD, this left me many golden memories when I did the same back in 1990 in Colombo, Sri-Lanka with a Malaysia B747-4H6 the 9M-MHL, as the Captain gave me a little VIP tour under the aircraft's belly, landing gear and it's engines:

I even gave a few pat's on the Queen's Belly with this one as I did on the Malaysian Queen back in 1990.

Flight Deck & Upper Deck:

Here a video of the rear part of the upper deck and the entire main deck, also of seat 40K where I sat in back on December 21, 1985 & January 24, 1986 with the KLM B747-306M PH-BUW
This video also shows you the Combi part cargo hold which has space for 12 large pallets:

10 Replies Related Threads

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 06:57:44 (permalink)
    Here the first array of photos I took of PH-BUK:

Starting off with the Flight Deck:

Upper Deck's World Business Class:

Combi Cargo Hold for 12 Pallets:

Main Deck:

Here I got the privilege to sit in Seat 40K, same seat I sat on during my flight with a KLM B747-306M ban on December 21, 1985 & January 24, 1986
    Flight Route was: Sydney - Singapore - Colombo - Amsterdam and back.

Here my model of the KLM B747-306M PH-BUW; this very aircraft I flew on back then, when I sat in Seat 40K.
    Original Flight Ticket & KLM memory card game in the background.
    That plus a postcard from 1984 my grandparents sent me as birthday card,
    which was exactly one year before I took this magical flight on 1 of KLM's 3 B747-306M's:

On with more cabin shots:

There a little mini expositions on the right, that goes about the history of KLM's B747-206B's and PH-BUK as well:

Here I panned towards the rear of the aircraft:

The A Cabin, this would be normally the First Class Section, later during the mid 1990;s this too became a World Business Class Secton, same as the Upper Deck was given this same conversion.

Here the Galley:

Entertainment & Smoke System manager:

Here their seat:

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 06:58:52 (permalink)
    Mini Lift that goes from Main deck to Upper Deck mainly for food & Drinks:

Mini Galley for Hot & Cold Drinks:

Straight Stairway Designed by my friend and B747 100/200/SP & 300 Designer "Gene Forsheim":

As he wrote me:
    Gene Fosheim:
    A real straight stairway.
    Trivia: I did design work on the original 747 straight stairway and it had a really slight curve in it.
    Very expensive as every step was slightly different.

Here a side view of Gene's Stairway design:

Lavatory:

Here the Expo closeup pics I made, well most of it:

Upper left is a pic of the real KLM B747-206B PH-BUA! Had to makea closeup of that!

Here the PH-BUA I flew with my family back on January 21, 1980:

Flight Route was: Amsterdam - Dubai - Singapore - Melbourne - Sydney

here more pics of that Expo:

And here some good news for those hooping to see a KLM B747-406M at this very museum!, yet hoping they will keep the B747-206B(M)SUD as well

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 07:00:16 (permalink)
    Here some pics I took outside of the PH-BUK:

Gotta love the Hump <3

Wing view

Rear view:

Kind of strange our 1:200 models don't have that tail placed strobe light..

KLM / Northwest alliance logo, this later became Sky Team.

Here that awesome Golden BOEING 747 logo, the plane where it's all about for me:

Here the right Airco intake, also a cool indication on how large this monster is compared to that man standing at the main landing gear:

Nose gear:

Main Landing Gear Bay Wells:

Here a special note from B747 designer Gene Forsheim:

Gene Fosheim
    Look up in the wheel well photo and you will see some pulleys for the control cables. I designed the tool to drill the holes in those brackets.
    They are really complicated believe it or not.

You can see them pulleys in this photo:

The landing gear of the B747-206B(M)SUD used tires from BRIDGESTONE, here the right wing main landing gear:

Them steel struts that were mounted from the ground up to the Landing gear struts were used to avoid constant pressure on the tires.

Servicing Chart : Main Body Gear Shock Strut:

Caution Plate for Ground Door Release Handle:

Caution Plate for Operating Hand Pump or Reservoir Pressure Filling With Valve in Closed Position:

Main Gear Tire Pressure between 200 - 215 PSI around 13 to 14.35 Bar.

Main Gear Hydraulic breaking system

Line Maintenance Vehicle and Left under main wing rear view:

Rear view of this General Electric CF6-50E2 Engine.

Wooden struts were placed to avoid damage for taking place during windy days.

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 07:03:57 (permalink)
    Here the inlet of one of it's four General Electric CF6-50E2's

The Spiral was used to give a rpm indication for ground crew, there by helping them keep a certain safe distance from the engine intakes.

Jack Pad Access Access Bay:

The B747's had 4 of these Jack Pad Access Bays these were using during D-Checks & during construction of these aircraft to check if the Landing Gear functioned properly.
    These Jacks made maintenance easier as well to create a proper standing height under it's belly, with these jacks they could jack the B747 to a certain height for maintenance for other belly placed parts.

Just in front of the Jack Access Bay are the two Airco Intakes and the left part of the fore section of this Classic Queen of the Skies:

Here a shot of them two Airco Intakes from the front view:

Here that lovely Golden BOEING 747 logo again but from the left side:

Then General Electric CF6-50E2's compared to the KLM Refueling Truck, just enormous, makes me wonder how big them GEnx2's are rofl..

Also a notable thing the Flap Levers had these red markings on them and only on the right wing, the later KLM B747-406M also had this but on all 4 right placed flap levers:

This was probably done for maintenance purposes so maintenance crews would not mix up with the left wing parts, just my theory of the case.

An other rear view of this aircraft:

Rear placed Cargo Doors:

Here a closeup of the APU Maintenance Hatch, which you can see in the dark blue part:

Left Horizontal Stabilizer:

Right Horizontal Stabilizer

Under Rear view of this B747-206B(M)SUD, also note the two Cabin Air Pressure Valves:

From that point I panned to the right:

Then to the left:

Showing the walkway connected to the aircraft, the refueling truck and a container as well.

This is one of my favored photo's I made during the visit, the entire landing gear shot, the nose gear can also be seen:

1 of 2 GE CF6-50E2's from the right wing:

Rear right wing view:

A last view of the Hump from the rear end:

At busier days especially in the summer the upper deck entrance is also accessible via that outer placed stairway.

Here the final photo's , these are high rest shots too

Front section:

And Aft Section:

I did it in phases per post, which was easier to split up the photo sections as well.

And there you have it 84 photo's and 4 Video's I made when I was there, mainly thanks for it not being busy with other visitors I had the best chance to make photo's without too many other people on them!
    These are the best of days to make photo's when visiting any kind of museum

Many thanks for reading everyone

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 10:10:12 (permalink)
    Very nice photos. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 10:40:52 (permalink)
    Yeah thanks :)

This B747 gave me many memories, planning on a few of revisits next year

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 11:26:51 (permalink)
    I'm glad you were able to have such a nice visit. I can imagine you had a great time. It was pretty cool you got a private tour. Thanks for all the nice pictures, you really showed it off. Good job Gold Leader. 
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/16 13:13:15 (permalink)
    Many thanks norfordman :)
    Yeah did my best there, always in for more though!

The Boeing 747 is the most iconic and most Legendary aircraft of all time, I hope to visit other unseen parts of this B742 once I make my return

tennis_ski
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 263
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/17 09:26:07 (permalink)
    Very cool!! 

PartNumber            DateEntered                     Notify Sent
    10G-P5-3897-KR     9/17/2020 8:26:44 AM PT      YES (10/28 9:14am)
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Meet my Partially Owned 1978 Boeing 747-206B(M)SUD, the PH-BUK "Louis Blériot" ! 2018/12/17 17:02:35 (permalink)
    Hay thanks man  :) Being there feels like home at times  xD

If it ain't Boeing I ain't Going ya know! xD

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile