EVGA

EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it.

Author
pyrebuilder
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 544
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
2018/12/14 20:53:45 (permalink)
Hello everyone!

So I have an SR-X in a machine I built a few years ago. I still use it, and I love it. However, back when I was building it and I was testing the watercooling loops with a single CPU, I plugged the power back in, except... I didn't plug in three of the plugs. I missed the three plugs along the left side of the mobo. 
6 Pin for PCI-E, 8-pin ATX_12V, and 6 Pin CPU. I powered on the machine, it threw a post error, I immediately shut it down and plugged in the power properly, and checked the board for damaged components or smoke. Didn't find any.
When I powered it on, the Ethernet controller and the USB 3.0 controller were non functional and I found occasional issues with the Sata controller.
I bought a PCI-E Ethernet card and a USB 3.0 card and resigned myself to a semi-functional motherboard. But I recently got a second CPU, and the Sata issues vanished. I also learned more and more about DC power distribution and repairing electronics. I recently spent quite a bit of time staring into my machine, wondering how I could approach testing my motherboard to find the faulty component and I realized I'm at a loss. I don't have any schematics, and I'm not as familiar with these components as I'd like.

So, I'm reaching out for help. Does anyone have schematics for the SR-X or know what power distribution components would be vulnerable to damage if plugged in wrong as I described? I checked a while ago that the warranty had run out and I couldn't find any repair services that could fix it for me, so this is my best hope at figuring the issue out and repairing it!

Let me know if there is any additional information that would be helpful or where I should look for schematics or on the motherboard for damaged components.

--Pyrebuilder

Computer builder, rocket flier, D&D player.
EVGA SR-X, 2x Xeon E5-2687W
64 GB ECC RAM 1600Mhz

8 Replies Related Threads

oriddlero
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/04 13:36:34 (permalink)
    The way you explained it you did not plug in anything "wrong" you just did forgot to plug in a few power supply connectors. Confirm? 
    pyrebuilder
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/04 15:00:46 (permalink)
    Correct. Those psu connectors weren't plugged in, which included at least 1 "mandatory" connection. I didn't cross connect anything.

64 GB ECC RAM 1600Mhz
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/05 23:05:34 (permalink)
    pyrebuilder
    Correct. Those psu connectors weren't plugged in, which included at least 1 "mandatory" connection. I didn't cross connect anything.

It is unlikely you caused any damage, NOT connecting power isn't an issue. It is connecting incorrectly. I think it might help, because as you said, a new CPU resolved some (all) the prior issues. If you told us what issues you still have now, that is unclear. Only EVGA can provide schematics and they are not going to do that.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

oriddlero
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/10 10:32:27 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    pyrebuilder

It is unlikely you caused any damage, NOT connecting power isn't an issue. It is connecting incorrectly. I think it might help, because as you said, a new CPU resolved some (all) the prior issues. If you told us what issues you still have now, that is unclear. Only EVGA can provide schematics and they are not going to do that.

My thoughts exactly.  I would look elsewhere for the issue.  Reflash/ update bios,   are the non functioning devices being seen in device manager? Do you see LEDs when you plug in a live Ethernet? 

pyrebuilder
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/16 22:32:55 (permalink)
    Update and switch to a second BIOS fixed the USB 3.0 and network ports not showing up in device manager! Thank you for suggesting the BIOS update oriddlero, and thank you HeavyHemi for advising that the situation was unlikely to cause damage.

Got my machine in tip top condition now!

64 GB ECC RAM 1600Mhz
    oriddlero
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/01/17 14:43:38 (permalink)
    SICK - Glad we could help :)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/02/06 19:24:56 (permalink)
    EVGA Forums Terms of Use

Buying/Selling/Trading - Buying, trading, or selling anywhere with the exception of the Marketplace is prohibited. EVGA Corporation is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the Marketplace.  You can find the Marketplace here - link.  If you cannot gain access to the Marketplace see here - link.  The Marketplace TOS, which is an additional TOS for buying/selling/trading, can be found here - link (can be viewed once access to the marketplace is granted.)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ogman
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA SR-X, I broke it, now I want to fix it. 2019/02/06 22:20:52 (permalink)
    well the link does not work, takes you back to the home page
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile