EVGA

EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan!

Author
petmic10
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/12/14 11:45:55 (permalink)
Where to begin.

I sent in my GPU(GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid) in for warranty. The G-P-M LED's were constantly flashing so I RMA'd it. I sent it in the original box without the radiator fan(I still have it). Fast forward to today, I received an email stating EVGA wants $20 dollars because the original fan was not in the return box. Why would I return the fan? There is nothing wrong with it.

I immediately called and spoke to someone in customer service and explained my situation. I was advised I can send in the fan via UPS but my RMA would be on hold until they received it. Being on the East coast it would take a week to get it back to them, which is another week without my GPU. I asked why is the fan needed if my card is going to be repaired? Repair it and send it back to me!  The agent replied "if it can't be repaired it will be replaced". I responded, if it's being replaced with a new one, remove the new fan from the radiator and send me the rest.

At this point, my level of disgust is starting to rise, so, I bit the bullet and paid the extortion money they required to keep the RMA process moving along.

The moral of the story is to send everything back to them(EVGA) or they will extort money from you because they have your property.

This will be my last EVGA purchase.

i7 6700K(4.5GHz), Noctua NH-D15S, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaw V Series(DDR4), EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, MSI Z170A XPower Titanium Edition MB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Samsung 860 Pro M2 512gb,  Ben Q 32" BL3200PT 1440P Monitor, Windows 10, EVGA 850W P2 Power Supply, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Case

10 Replies Related Threads

JacobB
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 522
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 11:53:28 (permalink)
    Hello,

I want to try and give a bit more insight as to why we require the fan. The reason as we require the fan to be returned with the unit would be due to the fan being required for normal operation of the Hybrid card (kit or not). Without that fan, the card would not be cooled as it should be. This would mean the fan would not be considered an accessory. We do attempt to repair hybrid units, but if it cannot be repaired, we would need to replace the unit. We would not be able to open up your replacement unit to remove the fan. All items would be sealed and sent to you.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Edit: I see that you paid for the fan on your RMA. If you would like, you can return the fan to us as the replacement is sent to you, we can refund you for the cost of the fan upon receiving it. I will contact you via email regarding this.

-Jacob B.
    post edited by EVGATech_JacobB - 2018/12/14 12:02:36
    petmic10
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 12:28:35 (permalink)
    Understood and thank you for the reply.

I guess I was caught off guard with the email. It seemed frivolous. A company like EVGA not having a fan laying around for testing purposes? I wasn't expecting a new card. I thought my card would be fixed and returned to me. This is my first RMA and honestly, wasn't 100% sure what to expect. I tried to follow proper procedure. I didn't see anything(maybe I missed it) in the RMA request email that stated the fan must be returned with the GPU.

I paid for the fan because I didn't want to stop the RMA process. I was hoping to get my card back before the holidays.

I received your email. Thank you.

I can send the fan back to you.

i7 6700K(4.5GHz), Noctua NH-D15S, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaw V Series(DDR4), EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, MSI Z170A XPower Titanium Edition MB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Samsung 860 Pro M2 512gb,  Ben Q 32" BL3200PT 1440P Monitor, Windows 10, EVGA 850W P2 Power Supply, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Case

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 13:14:54 (permalink)
    Maybe EVGA can update the PDF that says return the product without any Accessories.

Graphics Cards.
    https://images.evga.com/warranty/shipping/GPU_US_Shipping_Guidelines.pdf
    Keep all accessories as you will only be receiving a video card in return.
    This includes, but is not limited to:

Posters, Stickers, Manuals, CDs, Games, T-shirts, DVI to VGA Adapters, HDMI adapters,
    Power Adapters, Low-Profile Brackets, Case Badges, Graphics Card Backplates that were
    purchased separately as an accessory or given through a promotion, aftermarket cooling
    solutions, etc.

I only say this because there is a Thread that tell us not to send the fan and another to send the fan and Mounting Screws.
    If you send back your Hydro Copper Water Block or Card with a Pre-Installed Hydro Copper Water Block with the Plugs installed you do not get any Plugs when you get your Card or Water Block Back from an RMA.
    I would think this would be the same as a Fan on a Hybrid Kit or Graphics Card with the Hybrid Cooler Pre-Installed.
    But you cannot use a Hydro Copper Water Block without Plugs but you can run a Hybrid Kit without a Fan.

Maybe add a small paragraph about the Hybrid Kits, Graphics Cards with Pre-Installed Hybrid Coolers as well as the Hydro Copper Water Blocks and Graphics Cards with the Hydro Copper Pre-Installed.

This would be helpful to the Customer as well as EVGA.

Other 
    https://images.evga.com/warranty/shipping/RMA_US_Shipping_Guidelines.pdf
    Keep all accessories as you will only be receiving your product in return.
    • Screws and Other Mounting Hardware, Brackets, Cables, AC Adpaters, Weights, Key Cap
    Pullers, Thermal Paste, Tools, Posters, Stickers, Manuals, CDs, Games, T-shirts,
    Product Badges
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/14 13:24:47

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 13:22:27 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Maybe EVGA can update the PDF that says return the product without any Accessories.
    https://images.evga.com/warranty/shipping/GPU_US_Shipping_Guidelines.pdf

Keep all accessories as you will only be receiving a video card in return.

Posters, Stickers, Manuals, CDs, Games, T-shirts, DVI to VGA Adapters, HDMI adapters,
    Power Adapters, Low-Profile Brackets, Case Badges, Graphics Card Backplates that were
    purchased separately as an accessory or given through a promotion, aftermarket cooling
    solutions, etc.

I only say this because there is a Thread that tell us not to send the fan and another to send the fan and Mounting Screws.
    If you send back your Hydro Copper Water Block or Card with a Pre-Installed Hydro Copper Water Block with the Plugs installed you do not get any Plugs when you get your Card or Water Block Back from an RMA.
    I would think this would be the same as a Fan on a Hybrid Kit or Graphics Card with the Hybrid Cooler Pre-Installed.
    But you cannot use a Hydro Copper Water Block without Plugs but you can run a Hybrid Kit without a Fan.

Maybe add a small paragraph about the Hybrid Kits, CLR Kits, Graphics Cards with Pre-Installed Hybrid Coolers as well as the Hydro Copper Water Blocks and Graphics Cards with the Hydro Copper Pre-Installed.

This would helpful to the Customer as well as EVGA.

As stated by the evga tech above, fans for a hybrid kit are not accessories as they are required for the proper operation of the cooling unit. So what would be updated?

Plugs can be replaced for a few cent compared to a $20 fan.
    JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 13:27:59 (permalink)
    petmic10

I guess I was caught off guard with the email. It seemed frivolous. A company like EVGA not having a fan laying around for testing purposes? I wasn't expecting a new card. I thought my card would be fixed and returned to me. This is my first RMA and honestly, wasn't 100% sure what to expect. I tried to follow proper procedure. I didn't see anything(maybe I missed it) in the RMA request email that stated the fan must be returned with the GPU.

I paid for the fan because I didn't want to stop the RMA process. I was hoping to get my card back before the holidays.

I completely understand. Remember, if you have any questions at all, you can contact us. We are here 24/7 to help out and answer any questions!

Glad we could get this sorted out!

-Jacob B.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 13:49:45 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    As stated by the evga tech above, fans for a hybrid kit are not accessories as they are required for the proper operation of the cooling unit. So what would be updated?

Plugs can be replaced for a few cent compared to a $20 fan.

Yes I did read the Post.. I only posted a suggestion was all. So nothing needs be updated.
    Fitting Socket Plug, G 1/4 BSPP   Part No.  SCR-CP003PG Fitting socket screw plug and gasket for G 1/4 BSPP Koolance threaded connections. Nickel-plated brass. $1.99 4 Each + Shipping $14.95

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

petmic10
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 14:10:17 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10

I completely understand. Remember, if you have any questions at all, you can contact us. We are here 24/7 to help out and answer any questions!

-Jacob B.

I received your follow up email and will be returning the fan. I will send you a tracking number once it ships as requested.

Thank you. 

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/14 18:47:09 (permalink)
    petmic10
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10

-Jacob B.

I received your follow up email and will be returning the fan. I will send you a tracking number once it ships as requested.

Thank you. 

Sounds good! I look forward to hearing back from you! 🙂

-Jacob B.
    petmic10
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/15 09:32:50 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10

-Jacob B.

Thank you. 

-Jacob B.

Should I send the fan screws back too or are they going to charge me a $1 per screw if I don't?

JacobB
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA RMA nickel and diming me for a GPU radiator fan! 2018/12/15 10:59:13 (permalink)
    petmic10
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10
    EVGATech_JacobB
    petmic10

-Jacob B.

Thank you. 

-Jacob B.

Should I send the fan screws back too or are they going to charge me a $1 per screw if I don't?

Just go ahead and send the fans with the screws in! :)

-Jacob B.
    post edited by EVGATech_JacobB - 2018/12/16 10:48:59
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile