Liquid Cooling Fluid Change

Author
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/12/14 15:09:24 (permalink)
So I have seen it said to change your fluid every 6 months and I have also seen once a year. Which do you guys recommend?

Also, how long is just too long to leave it in? I often travel for work for long period of a month or 2. Would this be an issue? Say it was recommended to change every 6 months, I know I will be leaving around the 5 month mark for the fluid being in the system. Lets say Ill be gone 2 months, putting me 1 month over the recommended fluid change. It that short amount of time enough for something to run rampant through my system and cause me issues? Would it be better to go ahead and change the fluid at the 5 month mark vs the 7 months? Just wondering because, for example, youre supposed to change the oil in your vehicle every 3,000 miles.....but who amoung us actually does exactly that? Just wondering if those fluid changes are more of a hard set date and highly recommended to not go over, or if I can let it slip a little bit. 

For reference, I plan to use EKWB premixed coolant, not just distilled water with additives. 

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

3 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Liquid Cooling Fluid Change 2018/12/14 15:13:19 (permalink)
    I use
    $14.99 Koolance 702 Liquid Coolant, High-Performance, UV Blue, 700ml (24 fl oz)

Koolance 702 series coolant is used by many industries requiring a high performance, low-toxicity, reliable coolant with corrosion and biological inhibitors. A high quality coolant is extremely important for addressing dissimilar metals and biologic growth (bacterial and algae) long-term. Koolance liquids will not clog components and can typically be used for 2-3 years before replacement is recommended. (Do Not Use a Silver Coil with this Coolant)

The freezing point is -15°C (5°F). This coolant has been tested with the following materials:
    • Metals: copper, brass, aluminum, stainless steel, nickel, steel, gold, lead
    • Plastics: ABS, PA66, PBT, PE, PEI, PES, PETG, PMMA, POM, PP, PPE, PPO, PPS, PTFE, PU, PVC
    • Rubber: EPDM
    NOTE: Not recommended for polycarbonate plastics or other PC-based plastics.
    Manual - safety_data_sheet_koolance_liq-702.pdf 

I change mine every other year and Drain and Filter 8 to 14 Months.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/14 15:24:12

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 176
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Liquid Cooling Fluid Change 2018/12/14 18:14:16 (permalink)
    thanks, I have already bought my coolant and I got all my parts in today for the loop. Im chomping at the bit to build the loop tomorrow. I will probably switch to that fluid after the first change though. It would make life so much simplier in the future.

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Liquid Cooling Fluid Change 2018/12/14 18:29:02 (permalink)
    It depends How Clean your system was to start. 

How well your pre-cleaned before assembly of the loop & if you used "system prep" to clean the loop before putting your Coolant into the loop

Wait too long you'll be dismantling all the water blocks to clean the gunk

3K oil change is not the current standard for oil changes - unless your in an extreme situation

My Loops - I go 18 months to 2 years - My system is still clean; but, it was exceptionally clean in the beginning 

If you want to be conservative & you started with a clean loop - once a year should be good. 

What doe EK recommend with their coolant ? ------>"We recommend replacing the liquids every 12 months for best performance!"

From EK site:
     How to clean water blocks?
     Antimicrobial (algae) protection?
    What is plasticizer?

Good list of links:
    Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

LINK8-A
    http://www.overclockers.c...lant-chemistry-part-i/

LINK8-B
    http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile