EVGA

OPOLAR vacuum cooler

Author
Seramire93
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/12/14 10:27:38 (permalink)
Hey guys, have you used the OPOLAR Laptop Fan with Temperature Display and Cooling Pads.

Is it a safe option for the SC17? Does it affect the fans on the long term?

4 Replies Related Threads

darket
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: OPOLAR vacuum cooler 2018/12/19 13:21:57 (permalink)
    Linus does a good review of this cooler with the sc17 on youtube 
    mistermikey104
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: OPOLAR vacuum cooler 2019/02/21 08:11:47 (permalink)
    Just checked out the LTT video, they used the OPOLAR on the SC17 with the 980M GPU.  There was a slight drop in temperatures by 3-4 deg C when they did not have fan boost enabled; with fan boost + OPOLAR there was a 1 deg C drop.  They attached the OPOLAR to the left side vent - with the screen up and open the rear vents are slightly obstructed and therefore difficult to attach a fan to.  Being that there are 4 exhaust vents on the SC17, perhaps more cooling could be achieved by a different means.  I am also looking to increase the cooling capacity of the SC17 - for want of improving performance in VRChat by maintaining Superclock without thermal throttling up and down from 3.9GHz down to 3.2GHz every few moments, although it may prove difficult to achieve.  I am currently experimenting with external 120mm fan placement - I picked up some Noctua NF-P12's and a 12V power adapter.  Working on 3D printing some basic hardware to mount the 120mm fans to.  I have my doubts that this will improve cooling much, especially given the use of an axial fan to try to push more air through the vents (wrong kind of fan for the job really, though this fan may offer more in terms of pressure compared to other 120mm case fans, it is likely not enough to significantly increase airflow).  Increasing air flow around the bottom and possibly the top of the chassis may help more than relying on these 120mm fans to push more air through the vents alone, so I'll experiment with different air delivery configurations. Regardless, I'll try it out and see if anything useful comes of it.  I suspect switching to another thermal compound may not improve temps much either - I have some MX-4 on hand to try if it comes down to it, but I'd rather avoid fiddling with the hardware if possible - I'll consider it as a last resort.  Gaming laptops often suffer from inadequate cooling - the SC17 I feel has excellent cooling, overclocking seems to push the cooling hardware beyond its capacity though. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: OPOLAR vacuum cooler 2019/02/21 08:31:06 (permalink)
    Moving to General Hardware

not an EVGA product

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

saccaed
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: OPOLAR vacuum cooler 2019/02/21 20:00:08 (permalink)
    I have one of those and a SC17 1070. It is not a good match. The OPolar fan works alright on my other laptop though. If you haven't upgraded the thermal paste or switched to a graphite pad I recommend you spend your money there. The EVGA cooler is fantastic. The weak point is the interface between the die and cooler. ICY Diamond or Panasonic Soft PGS will improve thermal transfer as will shimming the sprung screws(only a little). Liquid metal completely solves heat issues, but isn't a good option for most. For reference, stock paste I could push ~x35 overclock, Panasonic Soft PGS x37 overclock, and liquid metal x40 overclock. The difference is that with liquid metal I can run 4Ghz at ~80C all day. Also, modding the bios to access the built in fan curve is something I consider a must. The built in fan curve won't push the fans to 100% until ~95C.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile