EVGA

Helpful Reply560 Ti driver crashes/freezes

Author
SBDevga
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/16 18:39:12 (permalink)
I've been running with my 560 Ti for years now with no issues (not overclocked, running basic stock default configuration), but most unfortunately this past week I've started having issues with my graphics driver crashing, as well as lockups happening.  I thought I'd pop on here to get any recommendations of (other) things to try on the off chance there might be something fixable.  Quite coincidentally, I've been waiting on 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming availability for an upgrade, so perhaps the trusty 'ol 560 got jealous and is exacting revenge.

Full computer specs are below.  I've been running the latest supported drivers (391.35) for months with no issues, and the card itself has been rock-solid for years.  I have tried clean re-installing the drivers, but this didn't fix the issue.  I have also taken the card out, given it a good cleaning/de-dusting and inspection (no obvious burns, etc.), and re-seated it.  I've visibly made sure the fan is working properly, and it does move freely with no sticking.

I've also fired up Precision OC as well as the older OC Scanner and checked out the operating temperature, and it doesn't seem to be running hot (~46c idle, no higher than 76c under load), and the fan seems to be spinning up as it should be.  Further, I've checked out the temps under load (in-game display as well), and have noted that when I get the driver reset/crash the temperature is fine (again, under 78c).

I've used OC Scanner to stress-test, and it is somewhat sporadic whether or not it crashes.  It does seem to be more frequent under a bigger load/memory constraints (higher resolution).

I have also downloaded and tested with both VMT and memtestg80.  I don't get any reported memory issues with VMT.  Testing with memtestg80 I have gotten a driver crash when configuring it right up to the limit of memory (925MB) and 1000 iterations.

Any other ideas on things to try?  I'd really like to salvage the card if possible (it is my min spec for software dev purposes).  But I'm afraid it's most likely it's just finally giving up the ghost.

Computer specs:
Fatal1ty P67 Professional motherboard
Intel Core i7 2600K
16GB RAM
eVGA GTX 560 Ti
Seasonic 850W power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/16 18:58:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SBDevga 2018/11/17 16:08:19
Try underclocking the card to max negative on both the core & memory.
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/17 13:36:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the response Sajin!  Great idea, that hadn't occurred to me.

I have underclocked the gpu and memory as low as they can go, and resultantly I have yet to have any driver crashes or lockups that were happening previously (stress testing via OC Scanner, an hour gaming, testing with VMT and memtestg80, and running overnight with BOINC active (which does GPU FFTs)).

Obviously, performance is pretty sub-par.  My initial reaction would be a heat-related issue, but given that the reported temps are seemingly fine, what can we infer from this result?

Thanks again for the help!
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/17 15:37:40 (permalink)
No problem. Card is most likely faulty. How old is your psu?
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/17 16:10:26 (permalink)
PSU is about 7 years old, same as the other components in the machine. 

I guess at this point I can fiddle with raising the clock rates on the card to find the point at which it becomes unstable again, and pray for the 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming to become available before it completely gives up the ghost.  Worst case I just run fully underclocked until I can replace the card.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/17 16:12:09 (permalink)
Since your psu is that old it may be your psu. I would try swapping in a new one just to see if it helps or not.
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/17 16:43:02 (permalink)
Good idea, those are usually one of the first things to go.  I've been meaning to get a PSU tester, and this is as good an excuse as any.  I'll let you know the results.
Dr.Death
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1011
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/18 09:33:21 (permalink)
AGE COULD BE A FACTOR ON THAT SYSTEM IN WHOLE

just could be time for things to start showing there age .    nothing lasts forever as much as we hope it will   .   7 years now ?  look how many guys cards don't make the 3 years on the warrantee  .

may see if that cards lifetime warrantee holds any weight still with evga ? maybe good for a gtx 1050 or 1060 in a today rma card ?

This product is covered under EVGA's                Lifetime Warranty                which covers parts and labor.
Further warranty extension is available upon registration within 90 days of purchase.
For more details please visit http://www.evga.com/warranty/
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/18 14:39:39 (permalink)
Yep, I get a lot of mileage out of my PCs.  :)

I tested the PSU, and there were no issues there, all voltages right within spec.  So I guess the card itself is failing.

For what it's worth, I checked the Windows Event Log and got the following info relating to the card/driver issues (before a lockup).  These happened in order:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

\Device\Video5
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 1): Out Of Range Address

\Device\Video5
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x504e48=0x4000e 0x504e50=0x0 0x504e44=0x1beff2 0x504e4c=0xf

\Device\Video5
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 3): Misaligned Address

\Device\Video5
Graphics SM Global Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 3): Physical Multiple Warp Errors

\Device\Video5
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x505e48=0xa000f 0x505e50=0x4 0x505e44=0x1beff2 0x505e4c=0xf

I'll see if support can do anything, and I'll just limp along underclocked until I can replace it.

post edited by SBDevga - 2018/11/18 15:04:06
Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/19 04:59:28 (permalink)
hmmmm....  may be harddrive corruption  or having read write issues ?  

like I say your getting up in age  and that stuff starts ?    

anyway    old or newer rig its a tough call  and a lot of weeding something out  [headache ]   

you could google around like  ''Graphics Exception: ESR ''  and each one and see whats up

see it may not be the card or the driver  but the info needed pulled off the drive at any giving time being bad or corrupted   at a instant  [example]

try mem test  on each stick of your system memory   . may have that failing  

I keep a solid backup computer  [ one of my better hand me down old rigs  ] for testing  and what not    or see if your buddy will run your card in his solid rig to see if the issue pops up under his as well

if so blame the card  if not your digging deeper in to your rig for something  .   see if he got a newer or known to work well nvidia card to try in yours as well  to test

I seen was with the  ESR  I see a lot of 600 series cards looking at it 

and that  Graphics SM Warp Exception on    I see guys blame NVidia cuda, gimmicware  / shadowplay [?]   and a lot of Linux users  .   may try the custom install of the driver and only instasll the card driver  only  and try that

like I say when things like ypour getting pops up = headache to find cause

also one thing  did you  ''upgrade'' [lol.. ]  to that malware service  called windows 10 as well ?  
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/19 11:30:14 (permalink)
SBDevga
I tested the PSU, and there were no issues there, all voltages right within spec.  So I guess the card itself is failing.

I'm guessing you tested it while the system was under a load?
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/19 14:37:46 (permalink)
Sajin
SBDevga

I'm guessing you tested it while the system was under a load?

PSU testers don't work that way...you plug in the motherboard power connector(s) into it, as well as any other power connectors you want to test with (meaning; not on a running computer).  That said, the voltages were firmly within spec, meaning they weren't near enough to the low or high end to warrant concern (and did not vary while testing, which when that happens usually indicates a faulty PSU).
Dr.Death
harddrive corruption  or having read write issues ? 

I have run chkdsk, as well as various S.M.A.R.T. tests and drive checkers, no problems there.  I also perform quite a bit of HDD read/write intensive work, and have no issues.  Also, the Windows Event Log does not have any drive read/write failure errors/timeouts.
Dr.Death
try mem test  on each stick of your system memory   . may have that failing  

While it's not a bad idea to try, I regularly do lots of very CPU/memory intensive computing (compiling, very memory-intensive asset processing, etc.), and have not experienced any issues doing so.
Dr.Death
I keep a solid backup computer  [ one of my better hand me down old rigs  ] for testing  and what not    or see if your buddy will run your card in his solid rig to see if the issue pops up under his as well

Unfortunately, I don't have alternate hardware to test on/against.  That would certainly nail it down, but it's just not an option.
Dr.Death
I see guys blame NVidia cuda, gimmicware  / shadowplay [?]   and a lot of Linux users  .   may try the custom install of the driver and only instasll the card driver  only  and try that

I don't have any of that sort of software installed (CUDA is not really "installed" software, it's just a programming API for doing compute on GPU), and I run with the straight-up NVIDIA drivers custom-installed to exclude Experience.
Dr.Death
also one thing  did you  ''upgrade'' [lol.. ]  to that malware service  called windows 10 as well ?  

No, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

But, more specifically to the point, I feel that the fact that underclocking the card makes the issue go away pretty squarely places the problem on the card itself.  Further, the event log giving "Physical multiple warp errors" would seem to specifically indicate that there is a hardware failure of some kind.

Thanks again for the replies!
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/19 14:55:26 (permalink)
You didn't state how you tested the psu, so that is why I asked the question. Now that you have told me you used a psu tester I would recommend checking the voltages manually with a multimeter while the system is under a heavy load.
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/19 15:06:33 (permalink)
Sajin
You didn't state how you tested the psu, so that is why I asked the question. Now that you have told me you used a psu tester I would recommend checking the voltages manually with a multimeter while the system is under a heavy load.

No worries, I had mentioned I was getting a PSU tester a bit earlier in the thread, should have re-stated that with the results.  I'll scrounge some batteries for my multimeter and see what that reveals.

Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/20 06:16:51 (permalink)
never had much luck with all that   ,  unless you hit the right circumstances when testing .     

''this past week I've started having issues with my graphics driver crashing, as well as lockups happening. ''

have you looked at this tool to see what may of changed  at the date you started to see issue ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reliability-monitor-is-the-best-windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/

me I don't allow windows to update anymore starting when that roll over updates became mandatory over   the old pick and choose what updates  you want or need and hide the rest you don't want .

that now may force you to take updates that could affect your rig   and end up with what you now got  [ I use 7 as well ]  

see with thwem roll over updating your forced in to updates you would never take   its now take it or take none  [I choose none ]    [roll over update is roll over and take it up the butt / forced updating ] 

SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/20 14:13:38 (permalink)
Dr.Death
have you looked at this tool to see what may of changed  at the date you started to see issue ?

me I don't allow windows to update anymore starting when that roll over updates became mandatory over   the old pick and choose what updates  you want or need and hide the rest you don't want .

Oh yeah, don't even get me started on Windows Update, it's always problematic for me.  That said, I install updates manually (no auto-updating), and this started happening a few days before the Nov security update.  No other new software, drivers, or other relevant software installed recently that might account for the problems.

The "good" news is that I've been able to go as high as 50% (relative to max) underclocked and don't have crashes/problems, so at least I can run with not-quite-so-terrible performance in the meantime.

SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/29 22:48:03 (permalink)
Sajin
I would recommend checking the voltages manually with a multimeter while the system is under a heavy load.

Managed to get back to this after the holiday.  I measured the 12v and 5v lines while the system was under load, and the voltages seemed suspiciously low (~10.7v and ~4v, respectively).  I say "suspiciously" because the digital multimeter I have on hand is something like 20 years old and unused for about that time.  Further, this was with the system up-and-running, but not really under heavy load.  If things were that out-of-whack, I would expect I would be seeing all sorts of other problems.  Of course, I'd just as soon it was the PSU going bad.

That said, better safe than sorry...I've got a replacement PSU queued up and on the way.  I also managed to get my hands on an RTX 2080Ti Black Edition, but haven't been able to test with it yet, as I need a powerlink to manage those rascally topside power connectors.  As mentioned a few posts up, I am running stable at 50% underclocked on the 560Ti, so at least I'm functional until things are replaced.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/11/30 00:05:12 (permalink)

Keep us posted.
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/03 19:05:06 (permalink)
My new PSU arrived today, so I was able to do some final testing/verification.

I verified I could reproduce the driver crashes on my current PSU running at stock configuration.  I then swapped in the new PSU (cables, everything), and did some measurements with my multimeter.  The 12v and 5v lines measured a bit better under load, and I was hopeful that might be the issue.  Unfortunately, I was still able to reproduce the graphics driver crashes at stock configuration, so I suppose the final verdict is that the card itself is faulty.

Fortunately, I have a new 2080Ti to install...unfortunately, that is proving problematic.  But that's a chat for another thread.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/03 20:25:04 (permalink)

SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/04 00:35:25 (permalink)
Just to put the final pin in this one, I've successfully replaced the card with a 2080Ti.  As you'd expect, it runs all of the stress tests flawlessly, and nothing that caused the 560Ti to crash the driver is any kind of problem now.  And, of course, the performance is astronomically better.  ;)

Now I'll just have to figure out what I want to do with this 560Ti...it was my min spec for dev purposes, so it would be nice to have something equivalent to be able to use (and just generally for a "backup" card).
post edited by SBDevga - 2018/12/04 00:38:10
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/04 07:16:23 (permalink)
SBDevga
Just to put the final pin in this one, I've successfully replaced the card with a 2080Ti.  As you'd expect, it runs all of the stress tests flawlessly, and nothing that caused the 560Ti to crash the driver is any kind of problem now.  And, of course, the performance is astronomically better.  ;)

Now I'll just have to figure out what I want to do with this 560Ti...it was my min spec for dev purposes, so it would be nice to have something equivalent to be able to use (and just generally for a "backup" card).

+1.... a backup card is always a good thing to have. Whether its for testing other stuff/builds/components or to use while you do a rma etc.... you def need at least one. As far as the 560ti goes, try taking some qtips and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and cleaning the gold fingers on the card, wipe down afterward and make sure its all evaporated and dry. Install, clear cmos, then boot, use the auto boot config for the bios just to see if you get to the desktop with it....in fact a spare mobo setup would be even better if you have one just to work with this card. Since your on windows 7, try to use the oldest driver you can that's from that cards era. Don't use the drivers that are from the 9xx series and up or it will most likely kill the card, if that hasn't happened already. See what happens and report back your results. :)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
SBDevga
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/05 15:03:29 (permalink)
wmmills
+1.... a backup card is always a good thing to have. Whether its for testing other stuff/builds/components or to use while you do a rma etc.... you def need at least one. As far as the 560ti goes, try taking some qtips and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and cleaning the gold fingers on the card, wipe down afterward and make sure its all evaporated and dry. Install, clear cmos, then boot, use the auto boot config for the bios just to see if you get to the desktop with it....in fact a spare mobo setup would be even better if you have one just to work with this card. Since your on windows 7, try to use the oldest driver you can that's from that cards era. Don't use the drivers that are from the 9xx series and up or it will most likely kill the card, if that hasn't happened already. See what happens and report back your results. :)

The 560Ti does still function...it just causes driver crashes or freezes when it goes under heavy load.  Details in the thread above, but in short it is functional if I underclock it -50%.  So it can still serve as an emergency backup, but my other consideration is that I could really use a fully functioning similarly-spec'd card for development purposes.  I'll be pinging support to see what we might be able to do, as that 560Ti apparently had a lifetime warranty from back before card companies realized that was insane.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: 560 Ti driver crashes/freezes 2018/12/07 00:19:00 (permalink)
SBDevga
wmmills

The 560Ti does still function...it just causes driver crashes or freezes when it goes under heavy load.  Details in the thread above, but in short it is functional if I underclock it -50%.  So it can still serve as an emergency backup, but my other consideration is that I could really use a fully functioning similarly-spec'd card for development purposes.  I'll be pinging support to see what we might be able to do, as that 560Ti apparently had a lifetime warranty from back before card companies realized that was insane.

Lol, yeah I have one of those 560ti's too, but it still runs like a champ. If your the original owner and registered it within 30 days your good for the lifetime warranty. EVGA's limited lifetime warranty was a lot of the reason they got as big as they did, besides the step up. They def stole a lot of customers from other companies. I def wish you the best of luck. :)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile