BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49165
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 09:16:23 (permalink)
I'd say the chances of it being the motherboard is very low.
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 09:48:34 (permalink)
Alright, youre the expert so Ill take your word.

I am pulling each part out and inspecting them, then reseating them all. Then testing each one by one. Hopefully Ill find something. Ill let everyone know the results. As you probably already knew, a OS reinstall didnt fix the Prime 95 errors shwoing up.

One thing that did happen was when I pulled the CPU out, cleaned it, then reseated it. The motherboard thought I had installed a new CPU on reboot. I dont remember seeing that in the past when I puleed CPUs out but I could be remembering wrong. Is that typical?
There was also a small amount of thermal paste linking items in the follwing picture

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhpMuwhZ9f348zkLacmPr5vx0cJu

Can that cause issues? it look like it string the paste when I moved it away and the small trail landed there. I was using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. The only reason I ask is because Im pretty sure I reapplied the paste the night all these issues began to arise.
post edited by Tyver - 2018/12/08 10:14:37

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 11:12:15 (permalink)
Yes, that can happen sometimes. Getting thermal paste on that spot could have caused a probelm with your cpu since artic silver 5 is conductive.
JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 11:17:41 (permalink)
Tyver
I have been getting this message about 5 minutes into starting battlefield. I turned off all overclocks, made sure all drivers are up to date, and reinstalled my graphics driver. I then decided to run other games and turns out they are doing it too. It was running fine yesterday and I ahve done nothing to it. It also only happens when I start a game or anything demanding. Im worried it might be the GPU or CPU at this point. What can I do to isolate the issue and trouble shoot?

If the  removal of that thermal paste does not help, I would try changing (if its not already) the "Power Management Mode" from what it is, and ensure that it is set to "Prefer maximum performance". I have seen this fix this issue.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 11:25:31 (permalink)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads.
While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/08 11:30:05

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 11:27:16 (permalink)
So far it appears to be the issue. I usually use Kryonaut but I ran out and grabbed that from a desk drawer. I have completed 2, 15 minute Prime95 runs on 6 different RAM configurations. I saw no failure, last night it wasnt consistent every time, but I did see failures pretty quick. Also I have yet to see any of the issue from last night. I still have to finish checking the graphics card and and turn HT back on but I would suspect I may have found the issue. Glad I decided to clean everything. 

Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 12:47:50 (permalink)
So I think I did have multiple hardware issues. I think I fixed one of them but not the other. The CPU and RAM passed all testing I did. The GPU crashes when anything GPU intensive is running. It crashes in Battlefield, 3D mark, and Heaven. I have artifacts all over the screen that are not going away either. This is a clean install  of 417.01. Its also now telling me I have no drivers installed and I need to download them. Even though I know for sure they were installed. I have nothing left to rule out. I think I may have a faulty GPU.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 13:10:06 (permalink)
Tyver
So far it appears to be the issue. I usually use Kryonaut but I ran out and grabbed that from a desk drawer. I have completed 2, 15 minute Prime95 runs on 6 different RAM configurations. I saw no failure, last night it wasnt consistent every time, but I did see failures pretty quick. Also I have yet to see any of the issue from last night. I still have to finish checking the graphics card and and turn HT back on but I would suspect I may have found the issue. Glad I decided to clean everything. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 13:10:15 (permalink)
Tyver
So I think I did have multiple hardware issues. I think I fixed one of them but not the other. The CPU and RAM passed all testing I did. The GPU crashes when anything GPU intensive is running. It crashes in Battlefield, 3D mark, and Heaven. I have artifacts all over the screen that are not going away either. This is a clean install  of 417.01. Its also now telling me I have no drivers installed and I need to download them. Even though I know for sure they were installed. I have nothing left to rule out. I think I may have a faulty GPU.

Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/08 18:59:26 (permalink)
EVGA has accepted a RMA. 

I have continued to test. I turned the bios mode to standard. It ran BF5 for 4 hours without issues but then it crashed. It began doing the same thing it did before, if it boots, it goes to a solid grey screen immedieatly after the boot screen. Artifacts are present sometimes. I currently cannot boot without crashing. I removed the GPU and have been able to obtain a stable log in. In the event viewer, around the time of the first crash there is a chain of events coming from  source nvlddmkm with ID 13 and 14. On each unsucessful boot up there is seen to 14 ID only.

Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/10 17:37:17 (permalink)
I have continued to test. Got my hands on another motherboard and processor. System still fails to boot most of the time when graphics card is installed. 

New configuration used to test

2080 Ti FTW3 (stock and OC bios)
EVGA 1000 G3
Intel i7 8700K (stock)
EVGA z370 FTW
Corsair Vengence x2 8GB 
Samsung Pro 960 512 GB

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/10 20:01:59 (permalink)
Let us know how the new card works.
Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/14 17:48:59 (permalink)
I got the new card today and it lets me boot up and hasnt crashed in a hour of Heaven running. So its a marked improvement so far. I will continue to test over the weekend.

There is one thing Ive noticed. I am seeing stutters when running Heaven. I saw on another thread, DP was having issues with stuttering but here is some background information as well as a interesting thing Ive noticed. 

I installed 417.01 driver as it was the one I reverted to when I was testing earlier.
I am using a DP on a high refresh rate monitor
Firmware on card is current
Bios on MB is 1.10, current unless it was updated a few days ago

So here is the interesting thing I noticed. Every time there is a stutter on the screen, I can audibly hear the the fans lose power for a split second then spool back up to the set RPM. Its happen exactly in sync with the screen stuttering. I didnt notice this before on the other card, but considering the other card wouldnt run at all when testing, it doesnt surprise me. The stuttering isnt happeing when the bios switch on the card was set to normal, only OC. So I thought maybe the card wasnt getting enough power and increased the power level to maximum in Precision X1. This helped to some degree. The sutters were less often but still happen. The fans still lose power for a split second too. Nothing else seems to be effected. Could the card be limited and not getting enough power during demanding sections? I havent even touched the frequencies on the graphics card. Could the higher fan RPM when the card is switched to OC on the card push current draw too high?

I have a 1000 G3 PSU, Intel 8700k @ stock, corasir vengance RAM 8GBx2 @ stock, and only 3 fans in my whole case. I would hate to think my whole system is under powered, plus I would think other areas would show signs. I do have a 8 pin daisy chain cable running to the card, the one that comes with the PSU. Could running 2 dedicated 8 pin cables to the card help, one to each 8 pin slot on the card? 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/14 17:53:52 (permalink)

Certain spots in heaven stutter. Nothing abnormal about that. Using two 8-pin cables is definitely recommended. Will it help fix the fan issue you're seeing? Probably not.
Tyver
Superclocked Member
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/14 18:09:27 (permalink)
Yeah Ive noticed that in the past it stuttered but it just seemed more frequent than I remember. Also just thought it was odd that the stutter coincided with the fans slowing down and spooling up. Also that I didnt notice them with the switch set to normal. If the fans were slowing down and spooling up again in normal setting, I sure didnt notice it. Plus increasing the power limit significantly helped the issue. It all just seems odd to me. Its not a huge issue to me so long as it doesnt cause problems down the road, I dont mind. The card is working (so far) so its better than the other one I had. Just odd to me, thats all.

Are the stutters intentional and cause the load on the card to drop? If so, would the card cool off that fast to allow the fan curve to drop off. Ive never really looked to deep into how the program works and how all my parts interact while running it. However, I may jsut be over scrutinizing everything since my last card gave me so much trouble. 

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: BSOD DPC_watchdog_violation 2018/12/14 18:52:40 (permalink)
Tyver 
Are the stutters intentional and cause the load on the card to drop? If so, would the card cool off that fast to allow the fan curve to drop off.

Yep, the stuttering in heaven is the way the program is. Very possible.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile