EVGA

"EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly false?

Author
kylebisme
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/29 20:25:28 (permalink)
I bought a 2080 with the understanding of EVGA's policy quoted in the title which is explained in the Graphics Cards section of the Step-Up program page, and after checking to insure that the 2080 Ti is listed on as available for step-up.  Unfortunately I didn't realize hat 2080 Ti being offered for step-up is not "the reference version the product with NVIDIA reference spec and clock" as that page suggests EVGA "will only release", but rather one clocked a measly 15mhz over reference and with a couple extra letters in the name which is priced at $150 more. I went through a few levels of escalation with customer service in the hopes that EVGA would be willing to honor their advertised policy but disappointingly no one I spoke with seemed to have any interest in doing so, insisting it's a matter of available stock.

This is a stark contrast to shortly before the 1080s were announced when I bought a 970 to tide me over until something better than the 980ti would release within the 90 day step up window. Not only was it the reference version of the 1080 listed as available for step-up, but EVGA eventually sent me the slightly overclocked version at no extra charge with the explanation that they lacked stock of the reference version. That was the kind of service which builds customer loyalty and brand reputation, whereas this time it I essentially got duped by a bait and switch. I'd intended to just wait for at 2080 Ti at or near reference card price, but I bought lesser card than I'd have liked for around 10% more money than could've had an open box one for, all with expectation that in doing so the money would go towards a reference 2080ti at advertised price just as EVGA's long-standing policy suggests. So I'm left to wonder, has it really become too much to expect of EVGA that they honor their advertised policy, even as that policy continues to be advertised?
post edited by kylebisme - 2018/11/29 20:27:44

5 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: "EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly fa 2018/11/29 22:08:03 (permalink)
    EVGA has the GPU list posted long before the 2090ti Black was released. Would it be fair to everyone that had done step up before to get the higher clocked model, and then future patrons to get a lower value and lower clocked card?

It has not been confirmed which core the 2080ti black is carrying. If it has the 300-A1 instead of 300A-A1 core, then it would be a lower tier chip, essentially, compared to the XC Black.

As far as feeling duped, I would highly suggest reading prior to purchase instead of after. Don’t forget, the step up program is something nice that EVGA does for their patrons. No one else does this, so while you may feel duped, at least you have the opportunity to step up at all.

The next best option in the future is to buy the card you want rather than trying on step up. I understand the 2080ti is hard to come across, but patience would have solved this, or reading prior to purchase.
    kylebisme
    Re: "EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly fa 2018/11/30 02:36:37 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_oneWould it be fair to everyone that had done step up before to get the higher clocked model, and then future patrons to get a lower value and lower clocked card?

It would be fair for there to not be any 2080 Ti available for step-up at all until the reference model is readily available, given the fact that the policy as it remains explicitly stated on this website says "EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program" and further that "products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program." Not that there's anything unfair about going above and beyond stated policy to offer customers the option of paying more for a higher clocked model, but it's downright misleading to only offer a more expensive version while insisting only cheapest versions can be made available.  And as I explained in my original post I'd read all that before purchasing. Granted I didn't bother to check to whether or not the name and model number of that 2080 Ti listed as available for step-up was the reference model, but do you really believe that putting the onus on customers scrutinize such details to insure companies aren't blatantly contradicting their own clearly stated policies is fair?
    post edited by kylebisme - 2018/11/30 02:40:28
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: "EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly fa 2018/11/30 03:19:59 (permalink)
    kylebisme
    the_Scarlet_oneWould it be fair to everyone that had done step up before to get the higher clocked model, and then future patrons to get a lower value and lower clocked card?

It would be fair for there to not be any 2080 Ti available for step-up at all until the reference model is readily available, given the fact that the policy as it remains explicitly stated on this website says "EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program" and further that "products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program." Not that there's anything unfair about going above and beyond stated policy to offer customers the option of paying more for a higher clocked model, but it's downright misleading to only offer a more expensive version while insisting only cheapest versions can be made available.  And as I explained in my original post I'd read all that before purchasing. Granted I didn't bother to check to whether or not the name and model number of that 2080 Ti listed as available for step-up was the reference model, but do you really believe that putting the onus on customers scrutinize such details to insure companies aren't blatantly contradicting their own clearly stated policies is fair?

Actually it is on you to read the policies. They're not going to hold your hand. You're lucky eVGA even has the step-up program....I can't think
    of another company that does......

But if you want to feel outraged, knock yourself out ......

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: "EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly fa 2018/11/30 03:48:03 (permalink)
    KyleBisme,

I just read through the entire step up page. You quote the “reference only portion, and then state that you didn’t bother to check whether the 2080ti mode listed was the reference mode.

Are you meaning that you read it was the 2080ti XC, which is a reference board, but didn’t check to see if it was the cheapest board available?

I think the most important part of the entire step up page is not the very last line, but the one just prior:

“EVGA reserves the right to change the terms of the Step-Up program at any time without notice.”

This would be part of the terms.
    kylebisme
    Re: "EVGA will only release reference versions ... to the Step-Up program" is blatantly fa 2018/11/30 11:15:44 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    Actually it is on you to read the policies.

Yet I did read the policies as they are clearly described on this website and quoted throughout this thread, the issue arose because EVGA is blatantly contradicting their own clearly stated policies.

As for being lucky EVGA has the Step-Up program, no more lucky than they are that I've bought their cards exclusively for over a decade and have convinced many others to do the same throughout those years.  And at this point I'm rather unlucky that EVGA didn't bother to change the stated terms of their program when they decided to stop following those terms. If they had I could've easily paid considerably less for a 2080 had I wanted, or simply waited to get a 2080 Ti a reasonable price as I likely would've done.

the_Scarlet_one
     Are you meaning that you read it was the 2080ti XC, which is a reference board, but didn’t check to see if it was the cheapest board available?

Rather, I had no reason to suspect the 2080 Ti listed could possibility be anything other than the cheapest one available, as the cheapest one available is the only one with NIVIDA reference clock and the policy explicitly states "EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program."

And of course I understood the part about reserving the right to change the terms and any time, the possibility of that happening between when I bought the card and when went to submit a step-up request being a gamble I knowingly accepted. What took me by surprise here is the fact that EVGA has not changed the stated terms of the Step-Up program but rather is simply not following those stated terms. So again I ask, do you really believe putting the onus on customers to insure companies aren't blatantly contradicting their own clearly stated policies is fair?
    post edited by kylebisme - 2018/11/30 14:07:27
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile