z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects

Author
Sraet
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/28 09:50:25 (permalink)
 I have finally gotten it installed and updated (though it did blue screen the first time I tried to update the bios it looks like the second time completed). But now my video just randomly disconnects. Putting the computer into sleep mode and back out again restores the display but it is annoying. I am using Synergy to control multiple systems from here and I still have control over the other systems so I can tell the PC is still running, the video just stops sending a signal. I am running an Intel i7-8086K CPU under the heatsink (see picture below).

I have seen this issue with another motherboard from a build last year. I ended up swapping over to the x299 board which still showed the issue but after a BIOS update it appears to go away (or stop occurring 3-4 times a day regardless of use). I am now a bit nervous about using this board since it seems all references to it on EVGA's site have been removed. I can still find it under Service to get the drivers but even the forums here appear to have removed reference to them (making me hope I am posting this in the right place since I see other posts about this board here). On top of that I am building a second PC with a different CPU but this motherboard again for my mother and would rather she not have to deal with these issues since she is not very PC hardware savvy.

Is there a general issue with these boards? Should I be doing the StepUp to get rid of it as soon as possible? How can I resolve my system just disconnecting the video feed despite seeing the rest of the system is still running? At this point in time my system is mostly EVGA hardware (Corsair RAM, Intel CPU, Vive Wireless Card and Samsung/WD drives) so it doesnt seem likely its an issue between manufacturers... Below is a picture of the internals of the system as it currently is.

post edited by Sraet - 2018/11/28 09:53:25

Attached Image(s)

9 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/28 10:10:47 (permalink)
    Pull the Power Cable from the Monitors and count to 6 or 8 and Plug them back in.
    This is not the same as Turning Off the Monitors and works for me every time.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sraet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/28 10:21:24 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Pull the Power Cable from the Monitors and count to 6 or 8 and Plug them back in.

Heh, That would actually be a bit more difficult for me believe it or not... But this does lead me to wonder if its not the boards but maybe the cables/monitors in this case.. I am connecting via DisplayPorts, what are you connecting with if I may ask?
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/28 10:22:48 (permalink)
    Sraet
    bcavnaugh

Heh, That would actually be a bit more difficult for me believe it or not... But this does lead me to wonder if its not the boards but maybe the cables/monitors in this case.. I am connecting via DisplayPorts, what are you connecting with if I may ask?

Doesn't matter if you do it directly at the back of the monitors or where you plug into the mains
    Sraet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/28 10:28:56 (permalink)
    Plugging the power back in to the monitor would be difficult from this side with how they are mounted. The power cables are also not near by for quick access... The front of my computer is just much closer.. I will likely remedy the situation but it seems the system needs to be told the hardware is there again... I have had oddness happen with DisplayPorts vs HDMI in the past and it was just kind of an Ahhh moment that maybe swapping to HDMI would not have this issue... So I was just wondering what other people were using who experience this issue. edit: Especially in the case of the system for my mother.

post edited by Sraet - 2018/11/28 10:37:32
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/28 10:52:17 (permalink)
    @Sraet Pull the Plug from the Wall or UPS Unit if used.
    So you have no way to turn off the Power Feeding your Monitors or TV is what I am thinking now.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/11/28 10:55:50

Sraet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/11/29 11:00:43 (permalink)
    So the unplugging does work, what I find odd about this is that its only the Primary display that loses signal, the other two monitors receive signal but its all black.. I can tell when its 'reset' when it moves the primary desktop to one of th eother monitors.

Is there no solution for this random disconnect of hardware other than to 'reconnect' it??
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/12/01 15:14:02 (permalink)
    Sraet
    So the unplugging does work, what I find odd about this is that its only the Primary display that loses signal, the other two monitors receive signal but its all black.. I can tell when its 'reset' when it moves the primary desktop to one of th eother monitors.

Is there no solution for this random disconnect of hardware other than to 'reconnect' it??

Not that I have found.
    I know NIVIDA Release a Firmware for the DP Ports
     DP 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could blank screens on boot until the OS loads or Hang on Boot

Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/12/03 20:06:51 (permalink)
    I Have seen the same about having to pull the monitor power to FORCE the monitor to do a FULL reset/boot to fix display.
    In this case to get display port to respond.   The on/off monitor switch did NOT fix or boot the same.

A display cable may be holding a line signal unless a full power off or the computer inside the monitor is doing something like a warm boot when using the on/off switch.

----------------
    Ok- the computer is off
    Then why is the fan in your power supply still running.
    -----------------

Sraet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z370 Classified K - Random Video Disconnects 2018/12/14 13:07:11 (permalink)
    An update for anyone else who may find this... Digging around a bit more on the internet the most likely cause of this issue has been pointed to non VESA compliant cables, of which apparently the vast majority (of lower priced?) Display Port cables have this issue (It can also be an issue with HDMI cables but occurrences seemed more rare).

I am only 24hrs into the test with a VESA compliant cable from Amazon (Its one of their Amazon Basics that is VESA certified) with a definite change in the stability.... since swapping out my primary display's cable I have not had a 'blackening' occur. Will update again in a few more days with further results.

EDIT: I went from several blackouts a day to none since I swapped the cable... Feeling it safe to call that the cause of the issue.. It only seems to matter on the Primary display (I am running 3). The other two displays are still using the older cables (which were identical).
    post edited by Sraet - 2018/12/16 15:35:00
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile