overclocking i5 3570k + z77

Author
cerulliber
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/11/11 05:09:35 (permalink)
Dear all,

I would need some help with my classic Ivvy, a Msi z77a-gd 80 mobo, i5 3570k, 2x4gb ddr3 cl9 1333

I'm on automatic overclock @ 4.2 ghz on air, 5 vents, delided, Thermal Paste Arctic Silver 5.

I'm also looking for some help with Intel HD 4000 XTU settings, what is maximum stable oc , 14.0x ?  what additional voltage should I put ?
3/7/11 mV ?

Any help would be really much appreciated. than you in advance.

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: overclocking i5 3570k + z77 2018/11/12 05:06:00 (permalink)
    Using any kind of automatic overclocking features (OC Genie, Level-Up, etc.) can apply way more Vcore than is needed, sometimes borderline dangerous voltage.

Some things to do/general recommendations are as follows.

Manually set the CPU Frequency to 4200MHz (4.2GHz).

Manually set the CPU Core Voltage to whatever it is now/under load..Then adjust down from there untill your PC blue screens/freezes/crashes when stress testing, then notch it up until it doesn't, or, adjust the Vdroop Control.

The mobo manual doesn't say what settings are in Vdroop Control, but the more Vdroop there is, the more the Vcore will drop under load (possibly to the point of crashing), and you don't want that to happen..Set it accordingly.

Manually set the DRAM frequency, timing and voltage to the manufacturer's specs..Sometimes X.M.P. profiles work fine, sometimes not.

Put all the Short and Long Duration Power Limit settings on [Auto], or max them out.

Disable CPU OverSpeed Protection.

Enable CPU power saving features such as Intel SpeedStep (EIST) and C1E (Enhanced Halt)..No sense in having the CPU run full blast all the time when it don't need to, such as when web browsing.

The mobo manual says to set Digital Compensation Level to [High] when overclocking..I don't know what that does and I didn't look it up.

You need to monitor the CPU Core Voltage under load..CPU-Z will tell you.

TjMax Temperature (temp at which cores will throttle) for an i5-3570K is 105C..As a general rule, you should not allow any cores get within 10C of TjMax under stress testing..Vcore affects that most.

Make sure CPU Thermal Control is enabled so that cores can throttle down at TjMax.

Other settings in the BIOS should probably be okay and left alone.

Intel Burn Test is a good stress test and only takes a short time..If you pass that, you're almost guaranteed good to go.

The goal is to get your overclock stable while using the least amount of Vcore and maintaining core temperatures within reasonable limits.

Mobo manufacturer's overclocking software can/will dynamically change some BIOS settings on-the-fly..That's kinda handy for testing purposes before you make solid/static changes in the BIOS.

ROG (Asus) has a decent guide for OC'ing an i5-3570K to 4.5GHz that you can kinda go by..There's some general info in it that applies across-the-board such as Vcore limit and Vdroop (LLC/Load Line Calibration).

On your own as far as OC'ing the Integrated Graphics, but I'm sure there's lots of info you can search around for.

Hope that helps some..And welcome to the forums.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

sdcgsb
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: overclocking i5 3570k + z77 2018/12/10 07:13:30 (permalink)
    I've been appreciating the idea of XTU and had been using it as my basis for all my work OC my CPU.
    I was uncomfortable with using wattage and current vs. voltage (most OC work references voltage) but there are a lot of benchmarks and settings against which to compare, check out what others have done on HWBOT with your hardware.
    I have been able to get to 4.5GHz but despite throwing endless power at it, won't progress.
    This sounds dumb but the last competitor to beat with my cpu got 4.8 with endless power.
    XTU doesn't have VDROOP settings and I'm hoping tailoring that setting and manually configuring my RAM will do the trick.
    I'm surprised to see that temperature is not my problem right now.
    BTW, couldn't get past 4.2GHz without overtemping crap air cooler and stock paste(s).
    I have not played with Intel HD 4000

Intel i5-3570K
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    Samsung 860 EVO 250Gb
    Thermaltake 850W 80+Gold
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile