mynamjef
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/27 03:08:51 (permalink)
corsair h150i pro liquid cooler
3 x LL120 corsair rgb fans
evga 550 g3 power supply

when i turn off my computer, the corsair h150i led remains on and the fans connected to it keep spinning.
when i unplug the power cable from the back of the power supply, the led dims but remains on. the fans stop spinning.
when i flip the switch on the psu, the led still remains on.
went to bed, 8 hours later with supposedly no power, led is still on. it's definitely dimmer than normal, but my room is completely dark and i can see the led still lighting up.

how is this even possible....

7 Replies Related Threads

ManicSouL
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 07:21:22 (permalink)
    First off I'm not an electronics expert, but it sounds like a capacitor in-line with the LED. The capacitor is there just for the LED so that the brightness of the LED does not fluctuate during heavy power loads. Normally they would have a leakage resistor that would discharge the capacitor after it is unplugged from the wall. You might want to contact tech support and check with them on it. Hopefully, someone here will the same EVGA 550 G3 power supply to compare notes with.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 07:27:23 (permalink)
    mynamjef
    corsair h150i pro liquid cooler
    3 x LL120 corsair rgb fans
    evga 550 g3 power supply

when i turn off my computer, the corsair h150i led remains on and the fans connected to it keep spinning.
    when i unplug the power cable from the back of the power supply, the led dims but remains on. the fans stop spinning.
    when i flip the switch on the psu, the led still remains on.
    went to bed, 8 hours later with supposedly no power, led is still on. it's definitely dimmer than normal, but my room is completely dark and i can see the led still lighting up.

how is this even possible....

Short on the Motherboard, Most likely a Stand Off or a pinched wire.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

mynamjef
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 11:25:43 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh

I'm hesitant to believe it's related to the motherboard.
    the power to the fans comes from the water cooler, and the power to the water cooler comes thru a singular sata power cable - that doesn't connect to the motherboard.

the cooler does have a 3 pin that goes into the CPU FAN header of the mobo. traditionally, this is what drives the fan. but in that weird state i mentioned earlier, i unplugged the header and everything was still going. only when i disconnected sata power did everything actually shut off.
    mynamjef
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 11:27:00 (permalink)
    ManicSouL
    First off I'm not an electronics expert, but it sounds like a capacitor in-line with the LED. The capacitor is there just for the LED so that the brightness of the LED does not fluctuate during heavy power loads. Normally they would have a leakage resistor that would discharge the capacitor after it is unplugged from the wall. You might want to contact tech support and check with them on it. Hopefully, someone here will the same EVGA 550 G3 power supply to compare notes with.

do you think these components, the leakage resistor and the capacitor, are on the power supply side, or the cooler side?
    ManicSouL
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 15:10:28 (permalink)
    mynamjef
    bcavnaugh

I'm hesitant to believe it's related to the motherboard.
    the power to the fans comes from the water cooler, and the power to the water cooler comes thru a singular sata power cable - that doesn't connect to the motherboard.

the cooler does have a 3 pin that goes into the CPU FAN header of the mobo. traditionally, this is what drives the fan. but in that weird state i mentioned earlier, i unplugged the header and everything was still going. only when i disconnected sata power did everything actually shut off.

I miss read the original problem, I thought the power supply LED was staying on after unplugging it from the wall. It's the LED on the CPU waterblock of the Corsair h150i pro liquid cooler.
    Try this turn off your computer, flip the switch on the back of your PSU to off, then unplug the power cable on the back of the PSU. If the LED on the CPU waterblock is still on or dimmed, push and hold the power button for 30 seconds this will discharge all the capacitors. 
    ManicSouL
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 15:20:03 (permalink)
    Also, are you using the Corsair Link cable to USB header?
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 550 g3 continues supplying power even when unplugged 2018/10/27 15:28:33 (permalink)
    When you flip the I/O switch on the PSU to O (Off), all power from the PSU should be turned off.

Another thing is that if you have an Active/Powered USB hub or other powered devices (using an external power source) connected to the Mobo, they can feed power to the board even if the PSU is off and you should disconnect/unplug it/them.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile