EVGA

Helpful ReplyIs there something on my video card wrong?

Author
gamernut78
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 383
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/20 21:26:37 (permalink)
I was cleaning my case today and saw this. NO idea what this is. I am VERY certain this is not a leak from my self sealed water cooler. I wonder if this has anything to do with my video card? I do use Compressed air spray to spray dust in my case but I always try not to spray it too close to my components. I don't undertand why this is showing on top of my video card? Did i accidently pressed something on my video card in the past by having something on my finger? I do NOT have video card problems at all. This could be just a simple dust. But I am certain it's not dust. It looks like it's something else on top of my video card. Should I be worried? I already have warranty on it anyways. I could use some advice and opinons on this. Here are the pics. Sorry if they're not close enough but I did my best.

(UPDATE):I double checked it cuz I didn't realize the pics were good as I thought and I realized it could be just dust. I dunno why it looks darker from the rest so I assume it's because it's been smudged but I still see a tiny stickness in the middle but I do have a magnifying glass. I could look at it. I guess it's dust. I just wanted to check with you guys. I bet it's nothing serious. Are there ways to clean the top of the video card without damaging it? I just use compressed air spray. It does clean dust but the smudge is there. I guess it's just the way it is and it's just probably normal to see dust like this. After all I do live in a dusty house. Advice?
https://ibb.co/dXO9Ff

https://ibb.co/hg8gT0

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
My Rewards Program Code: 6JD2JTSGVP
fearpoint
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3184
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/20 22:18:23 (permalink)
Had the same thing before. Apparently it's grease from the thermal pads or so I read. 
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/21 00:23:55 (permalink)

Moved to General hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
ErinW
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1149
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/21 05:31:16 (permalink)

Totally fine. It's some of the oil from the thermal pads. It's not electrically conductive, so there's no worry. At most, it will attract some dust. 

You can clean it off with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. 
gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/21 11:39:56 (permalink)
Why does it do that anyways? Is it normal? Does it need to be replaced? Are you sure I can use isopropyl alcohol with what percentage? I'll have to find a lint free cloth then. Thanks for your help tech support!

Please help me earn some bucks to save money in the future as a team player and gamer!
ErinW
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 1149
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/21 22:49:09 (permalink)
It happens with some pads. Again, it's somewhat common, and won't hurt the card. 

Find alcohol with the highest percentage. It will have less water. Though you can use pretty much any percentage. You don't need to dump it on the card. Only moisten the cloth, clean off the oils, then let it dry before putting it back in the PC. 

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/22 19:36:20 (permalink)
Oh Okay thanks I appreciate it. First time I have seen a video card that does this! I appreciate the information!

JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/10/23 18:46:40 (permalink)
gamernut78
Why does it do that anyways? Is it normal? Does it need to be replaced? Are you sure I can use isopropyl alcohol with what percentage? I'll have to find a lint free cloth then. Thanks for your help tech support!

When the cards heat up, it heats up the thermal pads which causes the oil in the pads to heat up as well. This causes the oil to become less viscous and allows the oil to seep out of the pads and to be visually seen. This typically occurs when the cards are at high temperatures for extended periods of time. This oil is harmless and non conductive and can be easily cleaned using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

Just wanted to give a little bit more of an explanation :)

-Jacob B.
gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/02 13:04:04 (permalink)
If hot temps does this then is this something to be concerned about? I'll clean it up for sure. I took better pictures for reference to be sure there isn't anything wrong with my card. I guess I can go ahead and get some rubbing alcohol and clean it off. I do have a lint free cloth which is a good thing.

Here are the pics.

https://ibb.co/MRV7YBq
https://ibb.co/wKnsNZZ
https://ibb.co/CJPpC7V
https://ibb.co/0qSxHX5

This has never happened to me every time I buy EVGA products and this is a new experience for me. However, I decided to up the fans so I can keep the temps down. I apparently realized my video card wasn't always seated properly cuz I noticed the Precision OC software now detects my clocks. Dunno why but it didn't in the past. Moot point I am sure nothing has been damaged. At least I have warranty. I totally regretted selling my 970 SSC refurbished sealed box I got from RMA from EVGA long time ago. I miss that card. It is a great card and ran my games beautiful.

Thanks!

These are my current specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz (Auto volts only)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB SSC version from Best Buy.
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (2012)
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)--bought from a local shop.  (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) May consider a Seagate HD since they are better.
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB (bought in 2013)
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyperthreading but I doubt I should.
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p (5/18/2014) Yes I know it's old! LOL!
Operating System: Windows 10

bucyrus5000
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3153
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/02 17:09:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gamernut78 2018/12/02 22:05:52
Compressed air also comes with a fouling agent to dissuade imbeciles from spraying the stuff in their mouths. It evaporates quickly enough. The leak could also be that, but I'd agree that it is probably the oil from the pads...let's agree to call it "TIM blood"...after five years the TIM blood dries out, and the pads and grease should be replaced with new TIM (the paste on processors and all other padded parts).

For cleanup I've been loving lint-free swabs (and isopropyl Alcohol). They are used in camera maintenance and such, but you'll never knock off a cap or resistor with the swabs.
https://www.gorillapaper....AnbCTR-tEaAt2wEALw_wcB

Rant about what Grinds Your Gears HERE

Need help finding places to shop for computer goods? Find stores HERE and review them.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/02 19:29:26 (permalink)
gamernut78
If hot temps does this then is this something to be concerned about? I'll clean it up for sure. I took better pictures for reference to be sure there isn't anything wrong with my card. I guess I can go ahead and get some rubbing alcohol and clean it off. I do have a lint free cloth which is a good thing.
Here are the pics.
https://ibb.co/MRV7YBq
https://ibb.co/wKnsNZZ
https://ibb.co/CJPpC7V
https://ibb.co/0qSxHX5
Thanks!

No, that is sweat oil from your Thermal Pads.
Power Off to include your PSU yes you can use some 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean up.
Dab the Spots do not Wipe them.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2018/12/04 11:33:32

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

bucyrus5000
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/02 19:36:39 (permalink)
Don't wipe

Need help finding places to shop for computer goods? Find stores HERE and review them.
gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/02 22:10:07 (permalink)
bucyrus5000
Compressed air also comes with a fouling agent to dissuade imbeciles from spraying the stuff in their mouths. It evaporates quickly enough. The leak could also be that, but I'd agree that it is probably the oil from the pads...let's agree to call it "TIM blood"...after five years the TIM blood dries out, and the pads and grease should be replaced with new TIM (the paste on processors and all other padded parts).

For cleanup I've been loving lint-free swabs (and isopropyl Alcohol). They are used in camera maintenance and such, but you'll never knock off a cap or resistor with the swabs.
https://www.gorillapaper....AnbCTR-tEaAt2wEALw_wcB

I only had this for two years. I cannot replace these parts cuz I never really have done that myself and I am sure I can but I doubt this video card is really that ruined or so. Does this warrant a RMA then? Should I be concerned?
 The temps are really fine though. I turned the fan up. I didn't realized I had this for two years and I bought this from Best Buy. I'll take your advice and clean the oil off with the special swab you linked but I wonder if I should replace this card or not? I think I know why it overheated like that. That is because I didn't have a good PSU at that time and my CPU wasn't overclocked during that year. My PSU is replaced with the EVGA one now though. Runs great not to mention I replaced my surge protector too while back cuz it was very old!  So should I go ahead and RMA this to be safe or go for a 1050 SSC or 970 or what? I love this card though. I just don't wanna kill my Ivy Bridge.

bucyrus5000
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 09:15:24 (permalink)
It is fine, I'd just plan a tear down in 3 years if I were you. Even if you don't do a full tear down to reapply TIMs it will still perform without problem, just slowly getting warmer operating temperatures, and throttling. I recommend using your hardware for as long as possible, these products have a real cost of resources and environmental impact. The best thing you can do is get the most out of them. Just my opinion though.

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 14:13:21 (permalink)
Do you have any information how to do this? I don't know how to do this. I seen a video how to take apart a video card several years ago. This explains why my game keeps rendering ahead or something in the middle of the game when it doesn't do that. It's odd. I might as well get a 1050 4gb SSC card and RMA this one for good. Cuz I don't wanna risk it anyways.

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 14:31:34 (permalink)
Since these are my specs. I need some honest answer here because I am tired of assuming I am ruining my components with too much power. I know I have been told from experience there is no big deal in using more greater power for your system but I was told differently the PSU is important since it regulates every component properly.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz (Auto volts only)
ASUS Sabertooth z77 motherboard
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010)--bought from a local shop.  (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats) May consider a Seagate HD since they are better.
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2010) bought from a local shop. (I will pay attention to the dates and recent data such as write and reading stats)
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyperthreading but I doubt I should.
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p (5/18/2014) Yes I know it's old! LOL!

Is my PSU too strong for my video card? What gives? I saw the specs say minmium of 400 watts? Did I overpower my PC too much?  I need some expert advice from EVGA tech support because I don't wanna kill my system. 

I do need a new SSD and Hard Drive anyways. I cannot upgrade to a 8th generation because it's expensive and I am behind on bills. My birthday is coming up and I am trying to figure a way to rescue my system so it can run much longer than before. I'd love to overclock my cpu more but I don't have any experience in using custom voltages but theya re on auto volts and it's stable. I never have problems. So I really don't know what to do. I honestly think my video card might be too strong for my Ivy Bridge and maybe my PSU is way too strong? I was told anything above 400 watts recommended specs are fine. I dunno if I am wrong. I am tired of misdiagnosing my pc so badly. cable plugged in my motherboard 3g slot instead of 6gb slot for Hard Drives.  I'll contact tech support I have to.
post edited by gamernut78 - 2018/12/03 14:34:12

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 16:04:50 (permalink)
I found out that my PSU is fine and anything greater than 400 watt is fine. I guess it's fine. I already contacted Tech Support. I may have to RMA my card though. I dunno at the moment. I rather not take it apart and fix it because I rather not waste time doing this. I can easily do this myself but I never personally taken it apart but I learned how via YouTube anyways. Moot point I am tempted to just get the EVGA 1050Ti SSC and be done with it and use it as a backup card besides maybe getting a 970 SSC for old time's sake. I seriously need a huge upgrade. Now only if I can dig up 900 dollars for a new PC lol.

bucyrus5000
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 16:58:28 (permalink)
I think you have it all well handled. Personally, I'd plan to pay things down using Paypal's bill me later program. Not paying interest is so nice. Or save up. Having a need to fill like being in games with friends during the holidays is a very reasonable demand if you can meet the costs.

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 22:45:23 (permalink)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4ghz auto volts.
Case: NZXT Phantom 820
Motherboard: Sabertooth z77 Ivy Bridge
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (2013) Been running SOLID very good for years! I do want a i7 3770k just to have hyperthreading but I doubt I should.
Monitor: BENQ 1920X1080p (2014)

If my temps are fine on the card then why does the card seem to have that residue on there? What can really cause that? Can airflow play a role with negative pressure or is this VERY common for video cards, especially newer ones do this? I have NEVER experienced this kind of thing before.

GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 23:04:01 (permalink)
The usage of thermal pads has increased and possible pad material type has changed. There seems to be oil in the pad composition which probably helps with heat transfer. Oil can and will leach out over time

Just like an automobile engine with a few miles on it. There might me some oil staining here and there but no real oil leak

As to your power supply. You cannot kill your system with an higher rated power supply, just your power bill

In reality you want a power supply that will be 40-50% higher then what your expected max wattage would be. Power supplies actually work at their best efficiency at about 50% load. What that means is at say 10-20% they are pulling more wattage from the wall then what they are outputting, where at 50% load they are pull almost equal to what they are outputting
post edited by GGTV-Jon - 2018/12/03 23:40:45
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2018/12/03 23:15:07 (permalink)
I wouldn't really worry about it since it's not like it hurts anything.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2019/01/08 15:24:50 (permalink)
Okay thanks guys I appreciate it. Wish EVGA would sell thermal pad kits and information how to do this. I would love to re-apply thermal on this video card. Is there any danger on my card if I do NOT clean the oil on the card? I haven't bothered to find 99% rubbing alcohol in my local shop it gets frustrating I cannot find one. I may need to visit one last place and that's Target. Hopefully they have it lol.

GGTV-Jon
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1813
  • Ribbons : 19
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2019/01/08 22:43:36 (permalink)
gamernut78
Okay thanks guys I appreciate it. Wish EVGA would sell thermal pad kits and information how to do this. I would love to re-apply thermal on this video card. Is there any danger on my card if I do NOT clean the oil on the card? I haven't bothered to find 99% rubbing alcohol in my local shop it gets frustrating I cannot find one. I may need to visit one last place and that's Target. Hopefully they have it lol.

Hrmm, the stuff I use is only 91%. You are just doing board surface and not actual pin contact (PCB edge to the PCIe slot) correct? Shouldn't be an issue

gamernut78
iCX Member
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2019/01/09 02:38:21 (permalink)
Does anyone know if I have to order thermal pads to replace on my video card? Plus is it bad to use the original thermal pads? I plan to take it apart and re-apply thermal. I would love to order a backplate but probably down the road. For now I just wanna re-apply thermal. I wonder if there is a backplate that fits EVGA 1060 SSC 6gb

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Is there something on my video card wrong? 2019/01/09 16:33:29 (permalink)
You can reuse the thermal pads.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile