No sign of Chinese “spy chips”

Author
MasterMiner
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 713
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/10/19 17:12:35 (permalink)
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/10/19/bloomberg-china-surveillance-dan-coats-director-national-intelligence/

Hopefully the self-defeating anti-China, and anti-trade rhetoric in general, will calm down from full-hysteria mode. No one wins with tariffs.

I used to mine. Now I compute.

12 Replies Related Threads

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/19 17:35:17 (permalink)
    I'm more than willing to forgo tariffs if China and others stop penalizing American goods being brought in..

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/19 18:29:17 (permalink)
    I kind of wondered about the story at the start since it would be hard to make the chips and sneak then in without being noticed unless the company was fully working with China.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/20 06:24:34 (permalink)
    Spy chips have nothing to do with my issues about China. I will keep my position on the Communist the same, thank you.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/20 11:02:38 (permalink)
    I wouldn't rely on Dan coats telling us the truth that there are no spy chips - he couldn't tell us 
    if he did then the US govt and all companies would be even more prime for hacking 
    a) just because people know there is a backdoor means more people will try 
    b) more people will try to get the backdoor china has in it possession
    c) china would hack and get all the info now before the boards and backdoors are removed

so basically "YOU DON'T WANT TO SAY YOU BEEN COMPROMISED AND STILL ARE"...lol
    otherwise it gets worse and consumer confidence and govt confidence goes down as well

this only affects govt and Corporate servers - the sort of thing China would would to spy on for stealing Intellectual property

bloomberg found enough evidence to say the chinese have something - were that be on every board or every machine - might be a selected targets

Bloomberg said that its sources were key to its decision to run the Chinese spy chip story, the site writing that ’17 people confirmed the manipulation of Supermicro’s hardware and other elements of the attacks

The companies’ denials are countered by six current and former senior national security officials, who—in conversations that began during the Obama administration and continued under the Trump administration—detailed the discovery of the chips and the government’s investigation. One of those officials and two people inside AWS provided extensive information on how the attack played out at Elemental and Amazon; the official and one of the insiders also described Amazon’s cooperation with the government investigation.

In addition to the three Apple insiders, four of the six U.S. officials confirmed that Apple was a victim. In all, 17 people confirmed the manipulation of Supermicro’s hardware and other elements of the attacks. The sources were granted anonymity because of the sensitive, and in some cases classified, nature of the information.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies 
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2018/10/20 12:24:25

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/20 22:34:45 (permalink)
    Spy chips is just the latest vector of Chinese aggression towards the United States when it comes to the technological warfare they've been committing for decades. From spies during the Clinton era to massive attacks on US government systems such as the OPM hack and of course let's not forget the decades of trade secret theft they do as well. The chip in the supply chain is just the latest attack. China is scum and has always has been. 

Senator Dianne Feinstein's personal driver was recently caught being a Chinese spy. He was effectively spying for 20 years....

post edited by fearpoint - 2018/10/20 22:36:56
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/21 03:54:49 (permalink)
    This kind of efforts worth nothing.
    Only completely moving of production and factories on American soil of all brands.
    That would be VERY painful first 5 years, but EXTREMELY effective after 5 years for Western Economy, Products Quality, Protection of Environment and Planet Earth. I mean globally. 

Worse fear for Russia and China is Western Globalism and Unity.
    To America and Europe close self like Fortress and pick countries who will cooperate with them and completely close all doors for refuges.
    China and Russia profit from politic influence on each of countries alone, one by one and because of that spread conspiracy theories and non sense about corporations, globalism, etc... I didn't found single video clip how many people feed Western Companies in China.
    Only about suicide and bad conditions, why China not give them better or Russia. 
    In Russia you think they protect environment during draining oil and gas... It's same as before 50 years, not respect any law or measure who demand to invest in protection of environment and workers. Only is important to compensate Western sanction draining 3 times more.

But measures of American government are not effective with small impact and if you do something do that properly.
    Left 2.000.000 Chinese without jobs, hungry, in Putin hands, produce better more quality more expensive, repairable products than Asia and for 10 years they will beg you. They have nothing, they can't build computer without American companies and patents and projects.
    For 5 years they would stay vulnerable to attacks of much powerful computers.  Most companies for production chips, data storage, memories, processors are American, still. Many American companies hungry of money build Asian empires when they decide to send production and employ workers there. 
    post edited by Vlada011 - 2018/10/21 04:03:21

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/21 16:23:20 (permalink)
    I knew this would go off on a political tangent, but for those of us that build systems... and buy hardware components... tariffs are a not-good thing.

For good or for ill the supply chain runs through China. Until that changes, tariffs are an unmitigated evil in my book.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/22 10:24:42 (permalink)
    MasterMiner
    Until that changes, tariffs are an unmitigated evil in my book.

People bandy around words and phrases in such a manner that people no longer know what they truly mean. This is not a situation of "unmitigated evil" by any stretch of the imagination. People abuse the English language to the point of diluting the meaning and credibility of everything said anymore. One wonders why people don't take anything said seriously anymore? It's because people will say anything in an opinion and expect people to subscribe to it, because it might pull some emotional puppet strings of the audience.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2018/10/22 10:29:02
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/22 16:21:27 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    MasterMiner

People bandy around words and phrases in such a manner that people no longer know what they truly mean. This is not a situation of "unmitigated evil" by any stretch of the imagination. People abuse the English language to the point of diluting the meaning and credibility of everything said anymore. One wonders why people don't take anything said seriously anymore? It's because people will say anything in an opinion and expect people to subscribe to it, because it might pull some emotional puppet strings of the audience.

I’ll help you out. The word you’re looking for is: semantics.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/semantics

That cuts down 2 paragraphs right there.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/22 16:58:03 (permalink)
    MasterMiner
    Brad_Hawthorne
    MasterMiner

I’ll help you out. The word you’re looking for is: semantics.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/semantics

That cuts down 2 paragraphs right there.

*facepalm
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/23 08:25:26 (permalink)
    He's anti semantic.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

larrysb
    • Total Posts : 94
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: No sign of Chinese “spy chips” 2018/10/23 09:27:24 (permalink)
    I guarantee you that if these chips existed, there would be any number of photos of them on the internet by now, hardware tear-downs and logic analyzer and network-sniffer probing exposing how they worked. Lots of these servers and blades in existence and lots of used ones on eBay. 

It is a great, salacious story, created what Bloomberg wanted, which is lots of hits on their website. I think someone else wanted to sink SuperMicro stock, which was already sinking and de-listed from accounting issues. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile